News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why are some old cars just 'worthless'?

Started by 69finder, April 30, 2012, 10:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69finder

I just picked up a 1965 Monaco (for its' engine/trans).  But basically it's in rust free shape, underside is repainted, runs/drives etc.  I got it for a good price, but these cars are basically 'worthless'?  Ie there's a nice one on ebay for $4000!!

What?  That's like 2 quarters and doors for a Charger.

Notice the same thing for a few other unloved older cars.  They're basically all the same aren't they?  Except for body design, what's the massive difference between say a 69 Charger (what I have) and a 65 Monaco? 

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 69finder on April 30, 2012, 10:49:22 PM

Notice the same thing for a few other unloved older cars.  They're basically all the same aren't they?  Except for body design, what's the massive difference between say a 69 Charger (what I have) and a 65 Monaco? 

The difference is people like you dont think anything about the Monaco. Just want to strip it for its engine and leave it dead...............If its in such good shape why dont you keep it and drive it. Daily driving anything old these days is an oddity and will surely look much cooler then the little cookie cutter commuter cars.

Todd

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

69finder

I plan to drive it and learn more about it.  :)  The problem where I live is if an old car 'drops' from the registration system, it requires a new inspection.  The inspection is brutally hard to pass on old cars.  This one would pass (no rust holes), but I can see why cars are easily parted over here.  But what about in other areas?

1974dodgecharger

it has to do with culture and the charger was part of the revolution of muscle cars during that ear it was considered KING of quarter mile runs and late night friday after high school runs the charger was KING of it all. Hence now the old farts as with me appreciate it and got the young kids hooked on the charger so hence greater popularity than other cars.

Kern Dog

I've heard from many people that C body cars are just ENGINE donors.
Pretty sad, but if you are looking to go fast, everyone knows that lighter cars are the way to go. The C bodies are great cruisers and often very comfy, but a 440 in a Dart will beat a 440 New Yorker. I'm getting to the point though where a nice C body would be pretty cool, and a nice alternative to the Charger on occasion.

DC_1

Because like life, you have pretty people and you have ugly people. The Monaco falls in the ugly people category...

HPP

Quote from: 69finder on May 01, 2012, 12:37:14 AM
The problem where I live is if an old car 'drops' from the registration system, it requires a new inspection.  The inspection is brutally hard to pass on old cars.  This one would pass (no rust holes), but I can see why cars are easily parted over here.

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 01, 2012, 06:21:28 AM
Because like life, you have pretty people and you have ugly people. The Monaco falls in the ugly people category...

These two points are the 1-2 combo that usually dooms these types of cars. They aren't particularly attractive, although they do have their style points that are interesting. Combine that with safety inspections, registration issues, hard to find parts to make all the little doo-dads work, and non-existant aftermarket support, and it takes a HUGE effort to keep them on the road. This effort for the reward, feedback, encouragement from the rest of the car world is usually lacking so many poeple look at them as if they don't deserve the effort and if it takes twice as much effort/$$ to restore one to full functionality yet it has half the value potential, it really takes someone who loves them to bring em back to life.

69finder

Agree with ^ :)  Someone really love this little (haha, 4 foot overhangs over the trailer!) Monaco.  They redid the botttom, swapped/rebuilt the drivetrain, quartered it, bodyworked it.

I will post pictures of this little 'ugly' and maybe it deserves a little paint as well?!  I'm going to fix it's little problems so I have experience but I think the search for an engine for my Charger continues! 

TK73

I like the 65/66 Monacos.

Drive that sucker!!

Love to see pics
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

myk

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 01, 2012, 06:21:28 AM

Agreed, but unlike ugly people like myself I think less popular cars like that Monaco eventually have their day.  A friend with a very nice '72 Nova SS couldn't understand why his car was unappreciated for most of the time he owned it, but it slowly started to gain traction with crowds and value on the books; every dog has it's day, IMO.

BTW, I never knew they had 2 door Monacos...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ODZKing

I love those old C body's.  Learned to drive on my dad's 67 Monaco and it became mine when he bought his B5 blue 73 Monaco.
And BTW, that 67 was only 3800 lbs. 
My 67 is 3480
Second Gen is what, 3600?
And my 73 is 3540

TruckDriver

Quote from: Todd Wilson on April 30, 2012, 11:09:03 PM

Notice the same thing for a few other unloved older cars.  They're basically all the same aren't they?  Except for body design, what's the massive difference between say a 69 Charger (what I have) and a 65 Monaco?  

The difference is people like you dont think anything about the Monaco. Just want to strip it for its engine and leave it dead...............If its in such good shape why dont you keep it and drive it. Daily driving anything old these days is an oddity and will surely look much cooler then the little cookie cutter commuter cars.

Todd

I agree Todd!  :2thumbs:

Personally, I'd kill to have that car, and drive the hell out of it. Kinda sad your going to strip it out  :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Indygenerallee

Grand dad still has a 66 Chrysler 300 2 door 383 that he sold new (original owner traded it back in in 1968) And I would gladly drive that baby any day of the week!! Nice comfy cruiser!!!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

nvrbdn

one i really liked was the 65 chrysler newport. pretty close to that monaco.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Mike DC

It's not that some old cars are worthless, it's that a few of them aren't. 

The majority of all cars made between the 1950s and the 1990s have little or no collectible value. 

(Yeah they might bring $5000 or $10,000 in nice shape.  But so do most presentable cars at your local used car dealership.  That's not a lot of money for wheels these days.)

69finder

Well, this car is growing on me.  I got the engine running better.  Cleaned it up a bit more.  And I started to re-do the brakes.  :)  It's VERY hard to get parts up here for this car and they are going to cost $$$ but this car deserves it I think.

I spent all day (9 hours!) on it but I didn't get a single pic (so sad), but I will!

1965 was the only year for the 2 door (wikipedia says).  It's massive!!!!!!  I thought Chargers were big, but dammmmn, the Charger looks like a little baby next to the Monaco.  

The previous owner 'shaved' / welded all the moldings and it looks like one long, smooth, well, boat!  :)  

TK73

With shaved parts it'd look cool lowered...  :2thumbs:  Low, long and sleek !!

69finder

It's lowered a little bit I think.  There is no real gap between fenders/quarters and the rubber.  215/70/14's on a 440!  WHAT were they thinking??! :)

Cooter

You might run the numbers on that '65 as you might be surprized to find a late production 413 instead of the coveted 440..in that case, cruise it as the 413 isn't worth diddly squat.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69finder

The engine was swapped in.  It's a 1973 440.  Probably still gutless but it's big and sounds angry!

stripedelete

Quote from: 69finder on May 01, 2012, 08:02:55 PM

1965 was the only year for the 2 door (wikipedia says).    

I'm pretty sure there were always two door Monacos. 

TeeWJay426

Quote from: stripedelete on May 02, 2012, 07:12:08 AM

Agreed- when first introduced in '65, it was ONLY available as a 2-door, but from '66 on to it's demise in '78, it was always an available body style. Just most of them built in later years were 4-doors.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

ODZKing

Quote from: TeeWJay426 on May 02, 2012, 07:41:31 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on May 02, 2012, 07:12:08 AM
Agreed- when first introduced in '65, it was ONLY available as a 2-door, but from '66 on to it's demise in '78, it was always an available body style. Just most of them built in later years were 4-doors.
Oh yeah ... and they we're nice too.  Monaco 500 had the same console with arm rest as first gen.
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1967/67_Monaco0002.jpg

XS29LA47V21

:popcrn: 

::) supply demand generationally regionally popular should cover the main part of the question as I see it.  Sad really, I carved out the PW stuff from a nice complete mild rust triple black 2dr 69 NYer and then gave it to a friend, it remains in the pasture.  Cool car really, thought about it some, but not for me... :rotz:  The generational part is a big one, not that many yrs ago a T-bucket was very popular... you could not give me one unless the wheel would fit my Charger maybe :smilielol: :smilielol:.  Don't worry, when we die our kids will at least have techy toys  :nana: :slap:

Cooter

I think the title should prolly read: "Why are some old cars "Considered" just 'worthless'?

Well, you'll see it at the local cruise night/car show...Dude rolls in in his 1976 Chevy Nova that has been faithfully restored back to it's original shape.. Including, but not limited to the original 250 6 Cyl and turbo hydro 350 trans.

While this car may be his pride and joy, he/she will have BOTH his feelings hurt come time to try and get the $30K he/she spent restoring said car. Some cars from the 1950's-1980's while antiques, will NEVER be considered by the masses as "Collectable"....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HPP

Which is why there is often a big difference in price, perception, and value between desireable models compared to simply classic models.

Just because its old doesn't mean its desireable. Conversely desireable cars don't necessarily have to be old.

In real estate the old adage is location. If you're in the right area, everyone wants to buy there. The same holds true with old cars. If the right perception is out there, people will be willing to pay too dollar for it. If its the ugly sister, they won't.

mauve66

somebody on here just posted a cool looking station wagon they snatched from the tow truck and it looks sweet, i would love to have a big comfy cruiser  but getting it all to stay in working order is the nightmare
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

nvrbdn

everything is as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it. when my oldest son was very young, he got into baseball cards and autographs. we went to lots of games and he collected signatures and such. certain cards would be worth a ton straight out of the wrappers. i remember when a ken griffey jr. was the cream card to find. we would search forever for the ones he wanted. hes 32 now and still has thousands of cards. most arent worth squat. the card world has fallen off. people dont collect like they used to. they seem to be following the beany baby fad. :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

68 Bullitt Charger

What's good about those type of unwanted car's is they are affordable to Folk's that just want to drive a nice classic. I alway's go for the underdog..... :yesnod:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

bull

This is a 1965 Monaco. She is not worthless, in fact she does her assigned tasks quite well, is fairly attractive and is enjoys a fairly typical, happy life.

This is a 2nd gen Charger. She also is not worthless but is much more attractive and therefore highly sought after. Much more so than her 1965 counterpart. She's basically got all the same internal and external parts and yet they seem to be arranged in a more aesthetically pleasing manner. More people tend to gravitate to her based on a few attributes that are difficult to explain with a clear use of scientific evidence.

stripedelete

Luara Dern a Monaco?  She's at least a 66 Coronet (2 dr).

Both cars cost the same to fix, restore, and maintain.  So which would you rather spend the money on?

Or using Bull's analogy, which would you rather buy a house for?

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

404NOTFOUND

I once read an article about this subject. They said it was possible to order an AMC Javelin with a lime exterior and red seats, bumperguards on the left side only and a 2.02 posi rear end. Such a car would be much rarer than a Hemi Daytona but, it has to be desireable, not just old or rare. Also as mentioned earlier is the maintenance and parts support. Any fool could restore a '55-'57 Chevy, early Mustang or Camaro etc. Even the Charger now if you have the money. The Monaco, not so much. What market could there be for four door Monaco door panels? Even if parts are available, cost can be an issue. Many good Rolls Royce Silver Shadows are parted out because they are "uneconomical to maintain". I asked an RR dealer once about the parts prices and he said, "some of them would take your breath away". All this makes the Charger a good choice. Parts are available, the car is recognized and loved by most and hardly ever seen on the road.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Paul G

Unpopular as they are, I am glad some people love them. This 72 wagon belongs to Dave, a club member. He has had it since almost new. Beats the snot out of it, rebuilds it, and enjoys it with his grand kids still. It has the orginal 440, stroked out, set up with a GV/OD. It's a comfy cruiser, highway flyer, tire fryer. I am glad Dave keeps it around. It is just cool!

The hood scoop is a one off custom, and functional. Dave spent a ton of $$ building it. Has to be some love there!

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

mauve66

Quote from: bull on May 03, 2012, 07:23:26 PM
This is a 1965 Monaco. She is not worthless, in fact she does her assigned tasks quite well, is fairly attractive and is enjoys a fairly typical, happy life.

This is a 2nd gen Charger. She also is not worthless but is much more attractive and therefore highly sought after. Much more so than her 1965 counterpart. She's basically got all the same internal and external parts and yet they seem to be arranged in a more aesthetically pleasing manner. More people tend to gravitate to her based on a few attributes that are difficult to explain with a clear use of scientific evidence.

Quote from: stripedelete on May 03, 2012, 07:56:24 PM
Luara Dern a Monaco?  She's at least a 66 Coronet (2 dr).

Both cars cost the same to fix, restore, and maintain.  So which would you rather spend the money on?

Or using Bull's analogy, which would you rather buy a house for?

uuummmmmmmmmm......................... #2????
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

Cooter

Remember with good lookin cars and women, they BOTH are admired by other men..Therefore, other men want and sometimes test drive 'em...

I's go for the less desirable every time. That way, I'm never in the boat with some here with the big "D". :Twocents:

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

aussiemuscle

Why are some old cars just 'worthless'?
if you were 15-35 in 1965, would you want a Monaco or a Mustang? i think the answer comes from what people wanted when they were younger.  :scratchchin:

69finder

bull

Quote from: Cooter on May 06, 2012, 01:49:12 PM
Remember with good lookin cars and women, they BOTH are admired by other men..Therefore, other men want and sometimes test drive 'em...

I's go for the less desirable every time. That way, I'm never in the boat with some here with the big "D". :Twocents:

I know a guy like that. Married a fat woman because he was too paranoid that someone would steal his wife. That's a real pathetic way to live a life if you ask me. Maybe instead he could have just found an attractive wife with some decent morals instead. I'm sure there are a lot of ugly people out there screwing around too.

TK73

TK73

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Paul G on May 06, 2012, 10:40:19 AM
It's a comfy cruiser, highway flyer, tire fryer. I am glad Dave keeps it around. It is just cool!

That Wagon isnt cool its bad ass!   I love it!!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to have something like that!

Todd

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69finder

Very nice cars!!

I fixed the brakes, and took it for a quick spin.  TONS of power.  But, I snapped a bolt on the rear driveshaft :(

I didn't think they were bolted together, I thought it was all press in Universal joints.  Anyways, another thing to fix.  After it broke, I jury rigged it back and drive it home sloowly. 

mauve66

the universal is probably bolted to the rear yoke with 2 straps, i think they stopped doing that in 67-68 era, if you upgrade to the bigger universals then there are no straps................. i think, man its been a loooooong time since i've been under my car :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
alignment

69finder

Yeah, 'universal joint straps' (basically 2 little brackets).  I know the loads are carried by the bearings, but still, it was kinda funny to see these tiny little bolts holding back this massive 2" driveshaft :)

The side needle bearing carrier came flying out somewhere.  Anyone know what universal will fit?  Or should I just take the driveshaft to a driveshaft place?

XXSpiralXX

I'm eagerly waiting on pics of this car. Those old boats were cool as heck. I had a chance to part out a 66 wagon years ago but couldnt bring myself to do it. The owner ended up sending it to the crusher.....   :'( It wasn't spectacular but it was incredibly cool. Where do you live that it's so hard to pass inspection ?

69finder

I live in Edmonton, AB.  One tough inspection :)  Alignment, full body inspection (along with the usual brakes, lights etc check). 

The strap bolt broke :(  That's sad, it's snapped clean off in the yoke.  Oh well.  I'm going to change the U joint and weld a cut off bolt and go from there.  Fun stuff. 

Drove this car all of one block.

Finally took a pic!!

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69finder

Thank you!  I really like it, it's growing on me.  :)  I want to find some wide 14" tires, but they are tough to find??

grdprx

There is a guy that runs around my neighborhood with a '65 383 Monaco, I really like it!  Cruise it!  I'd love to get one.

myk

"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

69finder

Fixed the driveshaft!!  :)  Easier than I thought it would be.  Took it for a nice rip around the block.  Growing on me more, buying more parts for it :)

GOTWING

i picked up a 65 Monoco 2dr. back in 1990 it was cool, red with black vinyl top and interior, buckets,auto.center console, with console mounted tach or clock can't remember now power windows, had police car wheels on it,someone had put a stock 426 wedge single 4bbl.on it, and yes the car got parted out when i sold it, i was pissed! :RantExplode:

TK73

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

69finder

Kern Dog

What happened to the 65 Monaco chick picture? Did her lawyer file a suit or something?