News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need 383 perf. advice

Started by la.68charger, April 08, 2012, 08:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: heyoldguy on April 10, 2012, 10:08:24 AM
If we change from 906 to 915 or 516 heads we gain a bunch of power? What quantity would a "bunch" be?

I think what Ron is getting at is the closed chamber heads will provide higher compression....... for more "useable" areas under the curves in both Horsepower & Torque......
I agree, the higher compression will help noticeably.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

heyoldguy

Challenger340

firefighter3931

Quote from: heyoldguy on April 11, 2012, 09:32:59 AM
A noticeable bunch eh?

Well, the difference from 8:1 to 9.2-9.5:1 would be quite noticable....more noticable than from say 10:1 to 11.2-11.5  :yesnod:

Of course the cam, induction, stall speed and gearing come into play but i'd say it's a worthwhile upgrade. He needs to get some measurements and do the math to come up with a suitable combustion chamber volume to dial in the static compression.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Actually the quote is "help a bunch", not "gain a bunch".  (semantics I know, but still) :lol:

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on April 13, 2012, 06:07:23 AM
Actually the quote is "help a bunch", not "gain a bunch".  (semantics I know, but still) :lol:
HeyOldGuy is a really good guy, he's a great head porter, he's a great professional engine builder too, he's just messing with you guys & has a somewhat dry sense of humor sometimes, some of you guys don't seem to get "maybe"... I'm just saying....
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Bithand

If you study the 383 build in mopar action you will see a 450 HP dyno proven combo with good TQ curves.

Add a set of 84cc. Eddy Heads and you will be nudging the 500 HP mark in a very streetable combination

heyoldguy

Quote from: Budnicks on April 13, 2012, 03:49:44 PM
HeyOldGuy is a really good guy, he's a great head porter, he's a great professional engine builder too, he's just messing with you guys & has a somewhat dry sense of humor sometimes, some of you guys don't seem to get "maybe"... I'm just saying....

Thanks Budnicks,

Oh, I'm messing alright.

I'm back from MATS 2012. Went there to see the grandson run his mom's '71 Scamp, the daughter-in-law run her '09 Challenger and my cousin run in the "warRock" Warlock pickup.

Just moments ago I finished cc-ing some 906 and 915 heads, specifically to see what compression ratio differences I might find in swaping head for head. 

The 906 heads cc'd 90cc and the 915 came in at 83 cc.

What kind of compression ratio difference will that make on a 8:1 compression ratio +.030" 383 ci engine? About .450 ratio difference! If your ratio with the 906 heads was 8.011:1 and you switched to the 915, you would go all the way to 8.469:1 compression and gain about 2% in power. So if the heads flowed exactly the same, the engine that was making 300 HP would now be making 306 HP. You feelin' the power surge? I know I'm heading out to snatch up all the 915 heads I can find!

Send your 452, 906, 915, 346 heads to a qualified head porter, and for about $900 plus shipping, he can give you 10% more power. That $900 should include new valves, seals and bronze guides.

Better yet. Buy the aluminum head if you can afford it. Get the compression ratio increase with the better combustion chamber shape and even more airflow from the redesigned ports.

silvercloud

So, if you have an assortment of castings to choose from-516s, 906s, 346s, 452s-in similar condition as far as guides, valves, and assuming the 516s have been cut for the 1.74 exhaust valves to make them even with the rest, can the 516s flow with the newer castings? With a rookie (ie MP template) port job? I have seen so many different opinions on this subject-wondering what the experienced builders over here have to say. This is my scenario-car is getting reassembled on a budget, the motor that is being installed now is a placeholder basically while funds come together to assemble a low deck stroker. Having said that, the "placeholder" may be holding its place for longer than anticipated  ::), so I want to make it as good as I can on limited funds. I have a 400 out of a truck that was supposedly rebuilt not long before the tranny went south, so there it sat. I plan to reuse the short block assuming compression test and visual inspection confirm its suitability, add a cam, intake and headers and go. Was thinking about installing the 516s I have kicking around to up the CR-thinking with a stock 400 every little bit helps?-but not if I'll be going backwards flow-wise.

Thanks in advance for the opinions
Jason

Challenger340

Quote from: silvercloud on April 18, 2012, 10:51:48 AM
So, if you have an assortment of castings to choose from-516s, 906s, 346s, 452s-in similar condition as far as guides, valves, and assuming the 516s have been cut for the 1.74 exhaust valves to make them even with the rest, can the 516s flow with the newer castings? With a rookie (ie MP template) port job? I have seen so many different opinions on this subject-wondering what the experienced builders over here have to say. This is my scenario-car is getting reassembled on a budget, the motor that is being installed now is a placeholder basically while funds come together to assemble a low deck stroker. Having said that, the "placeholder" may be holding its place for longer than anticipated  ::), so I want to make it as good as I can on limited funds. I have a 400 out of a truck that was supposedly rebuilt not long before the tranny went south, so there it sat. I plan to reuse the short block assuming compression test and visual inspection confirm its suitability, add a cam, intake and headers and go. Was thinking about installing the 516s I have kicking around to up the CR-thinking with a stock 400 every little bit helps?-but not if I'll be going backwards flow-wise.

Thanks in advance for the opinions
Jason

IMO,
At the low CR levels you will encounter on the 400 engine...ANY compression increase at all is going to help...even .45 or whatever...
because,
there is far more going on with engine dynamics than needs covered here....on what is obviously NOT a Technical Engine building Site...

Incipient heat to combustion.....flamefront propagation...cam scavenging...chamber shape with a quench flat...etc., etc. all small..but they add up to far more than the simple Compression increase for useable area under the power curve.

All things being equal...if you have the 1.74 valves in the 516's kicking around ready to go, IMO, pretty much a no-brainer to go for them.
Flow-wise...for what you are doing below 500hp , you have PLENTY with even minor bowl cleanup.
I own a Flow-Bench..do NOT go tripping over flow where you are !

Having been a Performance Machine-Shop Owner for the past 30 years, and we port/flow Heads daily....I simply cannot understand the rationale to spending good money.... PAYING someone to port Cast Iron Heads these days.....
because of,
the literal PROLIFERATION of well priced aftermarket Aluminum Heads available ??
IMO,
For what would be spent rebuilding & porting the Irons....done properly......NEW Aluminum Heads can be obtained with even better Flow.

This is NOT to say I discourage the DIY'ers from accessing the gains of the Porting templates etc., I think they are a GREAT IDEA with good gains on limited funds....
just saying....I don't think "these days", it is good money spent PAYING someone else to Port iron heads, unless, due to class rules etc., they MUST be run...and the MOST Flow is req'd.

silvercloud

I agree-I would never pay to have iron heads ported with all the aluminum head choices there are out there now. This is a beer-budget build to get the car mobile again after a 25 year holiday from the road. I have the castings, I have an ancient Sioux valve face and seat grinding setup so fresh seats are only a little bit of effort away. Cam choice is going to require a spring change anyway, so I figure it's just as easy to pull the heads to install them. I'll use some steel shim head gaskets to jack the compression a little more at the same time.

Only reason I asked about flow is I read an article a while back on 516s vs 906s where it stated using the MP templates on the 516s actually hurt flow on the exhaust-it was recommended not to touch the short side at all?

Thanks
Jason

Budnicks

Quote from: heyoldguy on April 17, 2012, 07:08:42 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on April 13, 2012, 03:49:44 PM

Thanks Budnicks,

Oh, I'm messing alright.

I'm back from MATS 2012. Went there to see the grandson run his mom's '71 Scamp, the daughter-in-law run her '09 Challenger and my cousin run in the "warRock" Warlock pickup.

Just moments ago I finished cc-ing some 906 and 915 heads, specifically to see what compression ratio differences I might find in swaping head for head. 

The 906 heads cc'd 90cc and the 915 came in at 83 cc.

What kind of compression ratio difference will that make on a 8:1 compression ratio +.030" 383 ci engine? About .450 ratio difference! If your ratio with the 906 heads was 8.011:1 and you switched to the 915, you would go all the way to 8.469:1 compression and gain about 2% in power. So if the heads flowed exactly the same, the engine that was making 300 HP would now be making 306 HP. You feelin' the power surge? I know I'm heading out to snatch up all the 915 heads I can find!

Send your 452, 906, 915, 346 heads to a qualified head porter, and for about $900 plus shipping, he can give you 10% more power. That $900 should include new valves, seals and bronze guides.

Better yet. Buy the aluminum head if you can afford it. Get the compression ratio increase with the better combustion chamber shape and even more airflow from the redesigned ports.
HeyOldGUy I think I saw the cars & Warlock on the live webcast from the tower, at LVMS MATS Mopar event, that "warRock" black step side truck sounded pretty damn good, even the tower race announcer said something about it, being a powerfull 451 combo from Idaho, or something like that...

c00nhunterjoe

I have a buddy with a 72 duster running a bone stock 400 bottom end. The usual bolt ons, cam, intake, carb, and crazy fenderwell exit headers. The car runs mid to high 12's on slicks consistantly.  More compression is never a bad thing, but budget motorscan still be fun. Granted that duster is probably 1000 pounds lighter then a 2nd gen charger, it is still a strong engine. That car was a blast to drive.

If you already have the 516's then I say run them. Gaskt match the ports and leave it at that. Run the thin head gasket and hope for just under 9:1 and enjoy filling up on 87 octane. Don't over cam it and she'll run just fine.

chargerbr549

I think the new edelbrock e street heads with a 75cc chamber might be the best bang for the buck on your 383 for under a $1000.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5090/

Budnicks

Quote from: chargerbr549 on April 20, 2012, 12:00:01 AM
I think the new edelbrock e street heads with a 75cc chamber might be the best bang for the buck on your 383 for under a $1000.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5090/
:2thumbs: for a low compression bottom end street beater or occasional strip car, that's a great idea  :cheers:

ACUDANUT

If your on a buget and want great results, change cams.  Adding a Torquer intake and holley 750 will wake that engine up....Don't forget to get a pair of HP exhaust manifolds too.  :cheers:

ACUDANUT

Also 906 heads are not junk !!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 20, 2012, 06:36:55 PM
If your on a buget and want great results, change cams.  Adding a Torquer intake and holley 750 will wake that engine up....Don't forget to get a pair of HP exhaust manifolds too.  :cheers:

Dump the manifolds for headers. Tons of articles swapping manifolds for headers with big increases. The rest I agree!

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 20, 2012, 06:38:37 PM
Also 906 heads are not junk !!
Yup, definatly not junk. But if you have to rebuild. Set from scratch its not economical. By the time you buy 2.14\1.81's, pay for machining to install them, buy valve springs, new valve guides and seats, you might as well have just bought a brand new set of aluminum heads...

BSB67

Quote from: la.68charger on April 08, 2012, 08:27:36 AM
I just got a '68 Charger with original, 61K 383 2bbl. engine. Low end performance is lacking. I have a stock 4bbl intake and carb setup available. Would it be worth the time / trouble to install the 4bbl setup? Without changing cam or doing head work, is there anything to be done to add a little more power on the low end?

A lot of Blah, Blah, Blah on this thread.  Didn't read them all so I don't know if anyone attempted to answer your questions.

"is there anything to be done to add a little more power on the low end?" - If everything else is right, i.e. the tune, not really too much can be done to help the bottom end power.  Switching to the right 4bbl (small primaries) and intake, it might make it a litter crisper down low.  Someone mentioned a gear change.  This will not add power, but will allow the motor to get to its higher power levels sooner resulting in noticeably better low speed acceleration.

"I have a stock 4bbl intake and carb setup available. Would it be worth the time / trouble to install the 4bbl setup?" - Only you can decide if it is worth the time and trouble.  Adding a 4bbl will add power, but if it is a single exhaust system, not much.  However, adding the 4bbl, and a good dual exhaust system is worth it in my opinion, but you would only see the benefit above 3000 rpm.  Everyone did this back in the day, and it was worth a decent amount of power, but it will still be slightly less than a factory 383 hp due to the camshaft difference.

If it is a 383 2bbl with single exhaust, and you want to do something, I would suggest installing a dual exhaust with either factory hp manifolds, or 1 5/8 tube headers.  Often times, old exhaust systems will suck performance out of a car and simply replacing them, even like-in-kind, will restore some power.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

MagnumForce

I say go for it, the 4 barrel setup with 4:10's in the rear will give the car plenty of low end muscle!
If You Ain't First, You're Last!!