News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Old or New Challenger

Started by MyMopar, January 30, 2006, 12:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyMopar

Maybe someone here can fill me in on a few things.  I am interested in purchasing a Challenger for $20k or less.  I've seen all kinds of cars in all conditions in that price range.  Matching descriptions and options (to exclude any rare or highly desired options) I can buy the same type of car from $12-$20.  What gives? 
Now I got to thinking, the reason why I want to pick-up a Challenger is 1 to say it is the wifes  :icon_smile_big: and 2 I figure if Dodge makes the new Challenger the old ones will be more desirable.
Then I looked into a new Challenger and the going price for a Hemi 6 speed rated at 425 HP is $35k.  Now I know that this is just an estimate now but still a good ball park.  So the dilemia is to buy old or save up and buy new?  I figure if my deal on a convert doesn't go through I'll have to really start thinking what I want do.
Of course all this was prompted by the thought of withdrawls for not having a  real Mopar to drive when I restore the Charger.  Too many choices, so little money.

TruckDriver

For the price, the new one. But for class, the old one. And if the old one has a big block, there no replacement for displacement.  :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Blown70

Well I may have 2 Old challengers I may consider selling.... ;D

I will say that with warranty and all the other improvements the NEW one would be nice.  However, I like the old cars too.

I say both if youi can swing it.

Tom

Ponch ®

buy the old one. theyre practically going extinct. If you have one in your sights, you should probably get it - you dont want to save in hopes of getting a new one while the old ones keep getting more and more expensive and harder to find. There's no assurance that DCX will actually produce the new chally as it is, and if they do, what if the final product comes out looking like an El Camino?
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Blown70

Quote from: Ponch on January 30, 2006, 06:21:57 PM
buy the old one. theyre practically going extinct. If you have one in your sights, you should probably get it - you dont want to save in hopes of getting a new one while the old ones keep getting more and more expensive and harder to find. There's no assurance that DCX will actually produce the new chally as it is, and if they do, what if the final product comes out looking like an El Camino?

AGREED :yesnod:

Silver R/T

its up to you what you want to buy, your money-you decide. Myself Id pick up 70 Plum crazy
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Lowprofile

Well, if it looks like an El Camino, it will sell like crazy in the Inland Empire.   :D :nana: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

THE COLONEL

Well I have talked with my boss (the wife) :lol: and have decided that I will have a Challenger when they come out.  I like the old, but I have onw old toy with my Charger.  Now it will be time for a new....toy. :icon_smile_cool:  I hope they come out with the lime green for the new Challenger.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

41husk

I think I will have both, if they build a new convertible, I know I will have both :yesnod:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

Quote from: Lowprofile on January 31, 2006, 12:50:54 AM

Well, if it looks like an El Camino, it will sell like crazy in the Inland Empire.   :D :nana: :D

Inland Empire; do they actually still use that term? If you think about it it means absolutely nothing.

Anyway, about the Challenger -- the nice thing about getting a new one is that it will be new. No farting around on Ebay trying to find parts, no paying through the nose for body work and paint (unless you wreck without insurance), all that stuff associated with old cars is eliminated pretty much. You'll be able to buy every little part from the dealer and a whole host of stuff at any parts store. The bad news is there will be very little novelty to it compared to an old-school Challenger. There will be tons of that compared to just about any other new car but not to the old one. If they build what they are showing us the cool factor it could be a toss up, but I think I'd rather have the old one myself.

greenpigs

Quote from: THE COLONEL on January 31, 2006, 08:18:45 AM
Well I have talked with my boss (the wife) :lol: and have decided that I will have a Challenger when they come out.  I like the old, but I have onw old toy with my Charger.  Now it will be time for a new....toy. :icon_smile_cool:  I hope they come out with the lime green for the new Challenger.

I hear ya

It figures they would make this car since I just got my truck but by the time the 2009? Challenger rolls around I should have it about paid off. Now do I keep the truck and get a HEMI Challenger or trade\sell it and make the Challenger my 100% daily driver.

I doubt I would get rid of the truck, but a base model Challenger convertible sounds nice.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ponch ®

Quote from: greenpigs on January 31, 2006, 01:00:19 PM

I doubt I would get rid of the truck, but a base model Challenger convertible sounds nice.[/color][/b]

I read somewhere that there will be no such thing as a 'base model' chally - they will  all come with a Hemi.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

greenpigs

Quote from: Ponch on January 31, 2006, 01:42:26 PM

I doubt I would get rid of the truck, but a base model Challenger convertible sounds nice.[/color][/b]

I read somewhere that there will be no such thing as a 'base model' chally - they will  all come with a Hemi.

Gee that would suck! :icon_smile_big:

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ponch ®

Quote from: greenpigs on January 31, 2006, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Ponch on January 31, 2006, 01:42:26 PM

Gee that would suck! :icon_smile_big:

it would - itll put it out of reach of most people, probably myself included too. Look at all the 300's and 06 Chargers out there...most of them are the v6 models, not Hemi cars.

41husk

Daimler is doing a survey now seeing what drivetrains customers would order.  Go to there web sit and let your feeling be known.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

THE COLONEL

Quote from: THE COLONEL on January 31, 2006, 08:18:45 AM

I hear ya

It figures they would make this car since I just got my truck but by the time the 2009? Challenger rolls around I should have it about paid off. Now do I keep the truck and get a HEMI Challenger or trade\sell it and make the Challenger my 100% daily driver.

I doubt I would get rid of the truck, but a base model Challenger convertible sounds nice.

Just about the same here.  Our van will be paid off in 2008, so I'll sell my Stratus and buy the Challenger.  I don't like to have two car payments.

greenpigs

So, just what are you trying to say Colonel?

In some ways I think a 250hp 6 speed would be a better choice for me if it was AWD.

Now a 340HP 6 speed with AWD would sure as shit stinks be more fun to drive
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Supercharged Riot

get the new technology. if it lookas like the concept when in production. get the new one because in the end. its all about who wins the race. plus the concept looks as good as it gets to the old challenger. you get 425HP for about $35-45K. and you can start over by saying "yep.....all original numbers matching Hemi" or whatever you wanna say. 30-40 yrs down the road. itll be worth as much as original Hemi's now.....$150-$250K

TheGhost

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on February 01, 2006, 02:16:36 AM
get the new technology. if it lookas like the concept when in production. get the new one because in the end. its all about who wins the race. plus the concept looks as good as it gets to the old challenger. you get 425HP for about $35-45K. and you can start over by saying "yep.....all original numbers matching Hemi" or whatever you wanna say. 30-40 yrs down the road. itll be worth as much as original Hemi's now.....$150-$250K

Welcome to the site.

As for this dilemma, it depends.  For daily driving, I'd prefer a new, V6 auto Challenger.  Maybe a ragtop to spice things up.  For a fast car, the SRT-8 Challenger would be it hands down.  However, I'd prefer a nice 72 Rallye Challenger over the new one for a fun weekend cruiser.  Better looks, IMO (yes, I prefer the 72-74 grill and taillights, oddly enough), and I prefer the old iron to new cars.  Also, the classic Challengers would be a better investment..  There is no garuntee that the new Challenger will, and if it does, it will take years before that happens.  However, the classics are going up now, especially the 72-74s, now that the 70-71s are out of reach to most people.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

THE COLONEL

Quote from: greenpigs on January 31, 2006, 03:32:40 PM
So, just what are you trying to say Colonel?.

It looks like I typed my response in your quote. :blush2:  All fixed now. ;)

MyMopar

Boy I am more confused now than I was before I posted.  Thanks a lot guys  :-\
I hadn't thought about the Challenger NOT being produced.  If I buy the NEW Challenger, it would be my DD as I see no reason to buy a new car and not use it.
If I buy an ORIGINAL Challenger, it would be a fair weather driver.  I do have my 69 Charger too, which I might be prompted more to make it a Daytona clone if I have the Chally to drive.  I really just don't know now.  With the market the way it is, I am worried that if I wait to buy an original later on, it will be out of reach.  Then again, maybe the market will take a down turn if the gas prices and stuff soar sky high and drive prices down.  I always hate the unknown so for now I am going to try to wait it out until the fall.  Save up some more cash and decide then if I want to add another fair weather driver or daily driver to my stable.  I already have 1 toy (97 TJ built for rocks) and my Charger that needs to be redone this fall, and of course my DD (300M) and of course my wifes DD.

Ponch ®

Quote from: MyMopar on February 01, 2006, 09:53:05 AM
Boy I am more confused now than I was before I posted.  Thanks a lot guys  :-\
I hadn't thought about the Challenger NOT being produced.  If I buy the NEW Challenger, it would be my DD as I see no reason to buy a new car and not use it.
If I buy an ORIGINAL Challenger, it would be a fair weather driver.  I do have my 69 Charger too, which I might be prompted more to make it a Daytona clone if I have the Chally to drive.  I really just don't know now.  With the market the way it is, I am worried that if I wait to buy an original later on, it will be out of reach.  Then again, maybe the market will take a down turn if the gas prices and stuff soar sky high and drive prices down.  I always hate the unknown so for now I am going to try to wait it out until the fall.  Save up some more cash and decide then if I want to add another fair weather driver or daily driver to my stable.  I already have 1 toy (97 TJ built for rocks) and my Charger that needs to be redone this fall, and of course my DD (300M) and of course my wifes DD.

maybe you could buy the old Chally now, keep it for a couple of years, drive it, enjoy it and take care of it. If when the new Chally comes out you still want it, sell the old one and buy it. If not, just keep the old one for good.

MyMopar

Ok Ponch now your logic is starting to make too good sense to me.  Problem is I have a problem, I buy stuff and can never sell it.  Who knows though, perhaps you are right, pick-up a Challenger now, enjoy it while I work on the Charger and then sell the Chally when the Charger is done and buy a brand new Chally.  Hmmm, I have to check w/the financial planner (wife for those that are single) and see if it gets approved.
Thanks, it is a very good pitch.   :cheers:

Mike DC

I wouldn't buy ANY modern car for its collectibility.  (You're gonna laugh, but I think one of the biggest future collectible cars going under people's rader these days is the 1990s Toyota Supra Turbos.)

I'd rather get an old Challenger than an new one, although the new Chally is one of the most tempting modern cars I've ever seen.  I'd also get a Hemi in a new Chally since the mileage isn't even too bad.

MyMopar

Well it looks like it is a go ahead for a 1973 Challenger, 318 auto.  Has been repainted orange w/white strips and white vinyl roof.  No rust on car, paint in good condition it has PS, PB, A/C (which isn't installed).  It is a nice driver w/great future potential for restorations.  $9500 seems like a real modest price from what I have seen of cars in same condition on Ebay.  This is NOT an ebay car so the price is fairly decent considering.
I'll send some photos when I get it.
Now I'll have to make another post about tranporting thru Canada, unless somewhere here can shed some info.  I will be cutting across Canada via Niagra Falls and coming out at Detroit.  What if any problems will I run into transporting the car back through Canada into USA?

Doc74

Quote from: MyMopar on February 02, 2006, 02:49:36 PM
Well it looks like it is a go ahead for a 1973 Challenger, 318 auto.  Has been repainted orange w/white strips and white vinyl roof.  No rust on car, paint in good condition it has PS, PB, A/C (which isn't installed).  It is a nice driver w/great future potential for restorations.  $9500 seems like a real modest price from what I have seen of cars in same condition on Ebay.  This is NOT an ebay car so the price is fairly decent considering.
I'll send some photos when I get it.
Now I'll have to make another post about tranporting thru Canada, unless somewhere here can shed some info.  I will be cutting across Canada via Niagra Falls and coming out at Detroit.  What if any problems will I run into transporting the car back through Canada into USA?

Detroit ? Ooo leave it with me then, I'll take care of it  :D

If you transport a US car into Canada I assume you have to íimport it and pay duties and taxes so in that case, to save a buck you can have the seller fill in a lower amount on the bill of sale.
Just making a guess really but it should be the same worldwide, any car from abroad needs to be registered and made domestic which brings on the taxes and import duties.
Call the customs office and tell them your plan, they'll tell you exactly what you need to know.

Not an expert but the price on that thing doesn't sound bad, curious to see the pics.

MyMopar

Doc, I probably wasn't clear enough.  I live in the US, it would be quicker and cheaper (gas wise) to "cut through" CANADA.  I can save about 3 hours and 200+ miles going that way versus dropping down and going through Ohio.  So I just am wondering if they will give me a hard time transporting the car into Canada and then back out.  I think it would be about a 3 hour drive tops through Canada so they can track it if needed.

Doc74

Quote from: MyMopar on February 02, 2006, 03:23:22 PM
Doc, I probably wasn't clear enough.  I live in the US, it would be quicker and cheaper (gas wise) to "cut through" CANADA.  I can save about 3 hours and 200+ miles going that way versus dropping down and going through Ohio.  So I just am wondering if they will give me a hard time transporting the car into Canada and then back out.  I think it would be about a 3 hour drive tops through Canada so they can track it if needed.

Ah big diff and the lack of clarity may be on my side, I'd say I'm not at my best today but I probably am  :icon_smile_big:

When you just transport it, it'll be your car all payed for and taxed ( or will be ) by the US gov. You can still call to be sure but I'm quite confident that you won't have any trouble.

And uh...that's a sweet ride...get it before someone else snatches it !   :2thumbs:

Lowprofile

Save yourself the hassle. The paperwork runaround can quickly turn into a nightmare.  Go through Ohio.   :yesnod:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

MyMopar

Just so you know I did some research about traveling through Canada.  NO PROBLEM.  The caveat is that the driver must be american, the equipment must also be American.  Other than that, no problem.  So after talking with the Canadian guy for some time, he did mention a big point.  The Windsor, ON crossing is not "green lane" equipped yet unlike Buffalo and Champlain.  He mentioned that it is not uncommon to have a 1-2 hour wait and he has seen up to 5 hours waiting just to cross.

Soooo, knowing that I will be traveling through Ohio.  I just kinda wanted an excuse to go back to Niagra Falls.  No big deal though, I'll go through PA, be able to stop off in the Poconos, perhaps check some stuff in the Cleveland area and shoot up to Detroit.
Only problem I have is last time I went out to Detroit, they actually closed whole sections of the highway for repair  :P and I ended getting lost in god knows where looking for the highway. I think I was lost for 50 minutes.  Problem was my ego that I never get lost (which I don't) and I got frustrated and wasn't thinking.  My attitude has since changed so this last part of my post is a mute point.

I'll be picking her up on the 19th  :icon_smile_big: