News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I just installed 3 point seatbelts in the rear seat..

Started by Marck, May 22, 2012, 02:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

I did a couple of searches for this topic, but never found any pictures on the matter..
I finished this install the other day, and just wanted to share some pictures..  :cheers:
The escutcheons are made by a guy I know, as I couldn't find anything usable online..
I did this so I could fit child seats in my Charger for my daughters..  :icon_smile_cool:

Hope you guys find this usefull...  :2thumbs:

bull

:2thumbs: I know I've seen pictures of this on this site before. It's been a while though.

oldcarnut

Bob T

Cheers Marck, slinging them under looks heaps tidier that on top
I'm just at the same stage myself, will be doing them in the next week or so, unfortunately the mount bracket is gold pacifated and designed to be mounted and pop riveted underneath the package tray, they are the only ones available here..Its more important for me to have kids safe in the back than being 100% stock appearing with only lapbelts
Will put up some pics of them when they are in.

:cheers:

Bob
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

doctor4766

In that second pic it appears that the slots are already in the parcel tray, at least they look factory to me.
Its been a while since I had mine out and I dont remember them being there...
Gotta love a '69

Marck

Quote from: bull on May 22, 2012, 09:50:16 PM
:2thumbs: I know I've seen pictures of this on this site before. It's been a while though.

Okay, I couldn't find anything when I did the search... :-/

Marck

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 23, 2012, 12:31:17 AM
Here's another thread on them.  I think I'll be doing it too eventually.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86200.0.html
Hadn't seen that thread.. Looks like identical setups..

oldcarnut

I had it saved for future reference along with some other topics.  There are some for the front setups too.  I want to do front and rear.  Sometimes that search stuff is a matter of luck getting the right word combo.  Often I can't find my own threads on the first time.

Marck

Quote from: Bob T on May 23, 2012, 03:33:32 AM
Cheers Marck, slinging them under looks heaps tidier that on top
I'm just at the same stage myself, will be doing them in the next week or so, unfortunately the mount bracket is gold pacifated and designed to be mounted and pop riveted underneath the package tray, they are the only ones available here..Its more important for me to have kids safe in the back than being 100% stock appearing with only lapbelts
Will put up some pics of them when they are in.

:cheers:

Bob

Ok, I found mine in England, and had them sent to Denmark.. Brand name is securon..  :cheers:
Danish law actually doesn't require this type of seatbelts for childrens seats, but I did it for two reasons:
1: It's just that much safer this way, and
2: I wanted a setup that would take the seats the kids use normally..

Marck

Quote from: doctor4766 on May 23, 2012, 03:42:51 AM
In that second pic it appears that the slots are already in the parcel tray, at least they look factory to me.
Its been a while since I had mine out and I dont remember them being there...
The slot that the belt runs through is factory made.. All I did was drill a hole for the mounting bolt..

charger Downunder

A great upgrade i did the front and back on my 70, very easy to do the hardest part was working out what belts to buy.
[/quote]

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

dodgey68

thats exactly how i did it,and cart the kids around with the booster seats, and there factory holes,,,
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

doctor4766

Quote from: charger Downunder on May 23, 2012, 10:33:20 PM
A great upgrade i did the front and back on my 70, very easy to do the hardest part was working out what belts to buy.
So you guys who have converted the front belts to retractables too, did you mount the inertia reel in the factory hole alongside the front seats or did you have to make a new mounting point further back so the belt pulls out more vertically?
I mounted mine at the factory hole but by the time the belt goes up through the drop link it's sort of aiming backwards and difficult to pull out sometimes.
Gotta love a '69

charger Downunder

I used factory holes you have to buy the seat belts which are designed to be at an angle.
Klippan belts front right K7654 left K7655 plus drop links k7099  250mm
Mine are only hard to pull out if the car isnt on a level surface like up a steep driveway.
[/quote]

I wish Aus would allow OE belts  :rant:  however, I might have to look into a set of those belts Charger Downunder. The drop down link looks like a must, mine doesn't have a drop down and my wife complains it cuts her neck off.

Not sure to get tan or black belts. Tan interior but seeing the tan belt hanging down is hideous, at least with black it will blend in better when on display.

Wow, I just noticed the RHD part of your charger and it looks awesome (unless you flipped the photo   :D)

charger Downunder

Quote from: 440 on September 05, 2012, 10:42:15 AM
I wish Aus would allow OE belts  :rant:  however, I might have to look into a set of those belts Charger Downunder. The drop down link looks like a must, mine doesn't have a drop down and my wife complains it cuts her neck off.

Not sure to get tan or black belts. Tan interior but seeing the tan belt hanging down is hideous, at least with black it will blend in better when on display.

Wow, I just noticed the RHD part of your charger and it looks awesome (unless you flipped the photo   :D)

You can have the standard belts i had them for years. Since having kids i upgraded to the modern style. Plus being a short ass my neck doesn't get cut off any more. yep its right hook.
[/quote]

Not here, the belts had to be changed to Aus standard belts as the originals don't meet the standard.

Back N Black

Quote from: charger Downunder on September 05, 2012, 07:18:30 AM
I used factory holes you have to buy the seat belts which are designed to be at an angle.
Klippan belts front right K7654 left K7655 plus drop links k7099  250mm
Mine are only hard to pull out if the car isnt on a level surface like up a steep driveway.

That's a nice setup. On another note,you let the passenger drive you car???

TUFCAT

Front shoulder belts have become a concern for me since I recently had a minor rear-end accident with only a lap belt on.  

In 1965, the Federal government announced a front passenger shoulder belt requirement for all 1969 models.

Mopar's 1967 or older (with the exception of 1967 Dart and some 1967 C-bodies) had no structural shoulder belt mounts in the roof.

For 1967 model year, Chrysler built shoulder belt roof anchor points into all "new for 1967" models like the Dodge Dart, or any 1967 model year roof line that would eventually be carried over into the 1968 or 1969 model year lineup....... You might also find 1967 C-bodies with anchor points because front shoulder belts were optional on Chrysler/Imperial models for '67.

Beginning in 1968, all "new for 1968" model year roof designs had shoulder belt reinforcement plates installed. The were otherwise unadvertised and undictable as this was only an option for customers to order.

Basically if you don't own a "new for 1967", "new for 1968", or 1969 model year Mopar don't expect to find shoulder belt anchor points under your headliner.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

So does anyone have an idea for adding shoulder belts on pre-1968 cars?  I'd love to know what ideas you guys might have. :yesnod: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Bob T

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 06, 2012, 08:18:22 PM
Front shoulder belts have become a concern for me since I recently had a minor rear-end accident with only a lap belt on.  

In 1965, the Federal government announced a front passenger shoulder belt requirement for all 1969 models.

Mopar's 1967 or older (with the exception of 1967 Dart and some 1967 C-bodies) had no structural shoulder belt mounts in the roof.

For 1967 model year, Chrysler built shoulder belt roof anchor points into all "new for 1967" models like the Dodge Dart, or any 1967 model year roof line that would eventually be carried over into the 1968 or 1969 model year lineup....... You might also find 1967 C-bodies with anchor points because front shoulder belts were optional on Chrysler/Imperial models for '67.

Beginning in 1968, all "new for 1968" model year roof designs had shoulder belt reinforcement plates installed. The were otherwise unadvertised and undictable as this was only an option for customers to order.

Basically if you don't own a "new for 1967", "new for 1968", or 1969 model year Mopar don't expect to find shoulder belt anchor points under your headliner.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

So does anyone have an idea for adding shoulder belts on pre-1968 cars?  I'd love to know what ideas you guys might have. :yesnod: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Hey Tufcat, I got caught out with that one. I had a set of repop belts sent with the car but when I went to install the bolt for the shoulder belts it just fell in. I found out the the ''early'' build Chargers did not have the factory nut inserted behind the headliner. Just the hole punched in only. So I had to get a lower mount plate with the nut welded on and reverse it after enlarging the factory hole and then profile cut it to fit and get a mate of mine to mig it in place.
All did it by carefully rolling back the headliner and using aliminiun strip with wet newspaper on it for a heat sink. Turned out well in the finish. Slight heat mark on headliner and still cant bring myself to putting a hole in for the dome so just stretch it over the moulding to hold it there. Yes, coulkd do with rust kill on the parcel tray I know, this summers' project..
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

472 R/T SE

Sorry to add a reply so late.

Marck, I bought a set of escutcheons from this outfit for someday, if I don't sell it 1st.  They show this pair being the last set. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-BELT-GUIDE-CHALLENGER-CUDA-70-MOPAR-E-BODY-/130979287873?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7ef95341&vxp=mtr

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 28, 2013, 11:21:14 PM

Marck, I bought a set of escutcheons from this outfit for someday, if I don't sell it 1st.  They show this pair being the last set. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAT-BELT-GUIDE-CHALLENGER-CUDA-70-MOPAR-E-BODY-/130979287873?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7ef95341&vxp=mtr

There are plenty of others selling them. Mike, if you have yours already can you post the dimensions of the inner hole and the outside? I'm curious how well they cover the slot in the package tray.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: bull on October 02, 2013, 12:10:34 AM

There are plenty of others selling them. Mike, if you have yours already can you post the dimensions of the inner hole and the outside? I'm curious how well they cover the slot in the package tray.

How'd you know my name?

I haven't installed my escutcheons yet.  Heck, I don't even know where they're at currently.  I'm sure at my pace of doing any kind of work our daughter will have graduated by the time I get started.
The set was recommended by a member on the Registry who was doing the same mod.

They're everywhere huh?  I wouldn't know, haven't spent a lot of time on this project.  Only mentioned last one cause it was....the last set.  And they sold.   :smilielol:

bull

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on October 02, 2013, 02:59:20 AM
Quote from: bull on October 02, 2013, 12:10:34 AM

How'd you know my name?

:confused: ???

Texasdoc

Here is a factory set up
I am looking for a factory set up.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/members/69chargerr-tse.36841/
Spend the money and do it right the first time, or spend more money and do it over, so it's right.

472 R/T SE

The package tray E body sliders make it look more original.

dkn1997

Just to add some more info.. I did this swap years ago.  As far as I remember, all 2nd gen charger package trays are stamped with openings for the 3 point belts and it was a super rare factory option for 3 point belts in back.

My rear 3 point belts have the rare distinction of actually being crash tested as I had my 9 year old daughter with me when we got hit head on in my charger.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11621.0.html
RECHRGED