News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8-3/4 Repair

Started by gschmidt211, May 24, 2012, 09:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gschmidt211

Does anyone know if someone makes and sells the rounded rear cover that is welded to the housing?  Mine has a dent in it and I would like to grind the weld off and weld on a new cover.

1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

Cooter

Pull the center chunk and if the "Dent" doesn't have a terrible crack, ,beat it back out from the inside. That
"Welded cover" you speak of is the entire housing put together at the factory. No way other than replacing the entire housing to replace that. :cheers:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

John_Kunkel

Either that or just fill the dent with body filler, sand and paint.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RallyeMike

Clearly, the factory put it together in pieces and you can cut it apart and weld it back together. However, consider the stresses you are going to relieve and then build back into it when you weld on it that much. I don't know for sure how they built these orginally, but I would bet that after welding them up they checked and bent them so they were straight.

Ya. Get another axle housing or metal work the existing one back into place.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/