News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sparks!!! Now everything is dead !!

Started by Canadian1968, May 28, 2012, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Had some time on the weekend to pull out my dash cluster in attempt to fix my jumping speedo!!  I got started and totally forgot to disconnect my battery!

I removed the two wires that go to the back of the alt. gauge first,  then continued to pull out the rest of lights and other connectors.  As  I was moving the cluster around , either the two wires from the Alt. gauge touched each other , or touched the metal frame of the dash. All I know is a heard a little spark and tiny cloud of smoke appeared !!!  After this I obviously hit myself in the head and disconnected the battery. I finished pulling out the cluster and oiled the speedo cable hoping to fix my original problem .  Everything back in , reconnect the batter and turn the key to check I go my signal lights in the right spots...... nothing , tried to crank nothing at all , not a single interior light, or crank of the engine.  Battery is fully charged, checked fuses , they look fine.  Double checked connectons behind dash everything is fine.

What did I do!!! what are those two wires connected to that run tot he Alt. Gauge??

Suggestions please !!!

A383Wing

bet you burnt up the fuseable link in the engine compartment....it's near the bulkhead connector

Bryan

resq302

Quote from: A383Wing on May 28, 2012, 07:11:25 PM
bet you burnt up the fuseable link in the engine compartment....it's near the bulkhead connector

Bryan

I agree.  Its usually a dark blue color with a little molded rubber "flag" that says fusible link.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

billschroeder5842

Concur. I don't think you did any real big damage but I bet you popped a few fuses....
Texas Proud!