News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to pull pushed in tail light panel?

Started by Ryan, January 31, 2006, 03:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Hi everyone,

While getting my 69 Charer ready for another paint job I noticed that the passenger side of the taillight panel has been pushed in, it is kinda hard to discribe it exactly. Basiclly the right side of the right taillight is in further than the left side of the tail light. Wich also bent the area that the quarter panel extension bolts to (little "L" shaped piece) and the area that the bumper bolts to is bent in some as well. The bumper, which I am pretty darn sure is straight, hits in the passenger side, the top edge if the bumper touched the recessed area that is in the quarter for the bumper to sit in.

So how would I go about fixing this? I am pretty good at body work, I just have never had to try and pull somthing that is a strong as this area of the car is.
Thanks alot.
Ryan
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

4402tuff4u

I'm not a body guy by any means but I've replaced floor pans and know enough to get myself in trouble. I would try to push it out towards the rear of the car to the original/correct location possibly with a small hydraulic jack. I would probably put something rigid across the door opening from door to door like a brace that you could jack against. That's if most of all the interior is out. Something simple a 2x4 frame. The door frame is one of the strongest points in the Charger so that wont move and go easy on the jacking. Put something flat against the area you will apply the force so you don't dent it, but in the same token allow the whole panel to move out. If the interior is still in, like the back seat, I would try to find a spot in the truck that you could brace against and spread the force on a structural member that will not dent or buckle under the load to push the panel out. Someone else with more experience (Drop Top/Cudaken) might have a better solution like using a "come-along" and a pulling force instead of a push. I'm sure they been there, done that.  Good luck. Pic's would help.  :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Drop Top

Pics would help a bunch!!

Like was mentioned before work it out from the inside if you can. A port-a-power is a good tool to use in a situation like this. You can get them cheap at Harbor Freight. I've had mine for a number of years and it still works very well. I use it quite a bit. If you don't have that a small 3lb hammer will do the trick. Just work the dent out from the shallow side to the deeper side. Work it all out at the same time. A little at a time also.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Drop Top

i wouldn't use a stud gun in a situation like this. I only use one of those if I can't get to the back side of the problem. If you dont have a jack a 4x4 piece of wood and a larg hamer or small sleage hamer will work. Use the block of wood like a large punch. The wood softens and evens out the blow of the hamer. This will work in this area very well. Because there is alot of room to swing the hamer. Many time its faster. I can usually have it hammered out by the time you get set up with all that other stuff. By the way. My block of 4x4 is red wood. Pine comes apart too easy.

Drop Top

I forgot to mention that my sleage is about a 2 pounder with a very short handle. About a foot long.