News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dukes event Va

Started by GL#10, June 03, 2012, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 06, 2012, 06:41:39 AM
Okay, terriffic, lots of people recogonize the orange with numbers on the door and can recall that must mean its a Charger.  Your assertion was that the show did more for the Charger than the people on this forum.  I can't make the connection.  Lemme see if I can help you...Had this VERY thing happen this VERY weekend in fact.  Hadda little boy come running up to my car and actually asked me "Is this car a 1969 Dodge Charger?"  If you painted a 69 Chevelle orange and put numbers on the doors would the same number of kids at the car show come running up and screaming?  Might be an interesting experiment.Actually, this has been done before as some pics are actually here on this forum and an CGLFC.com...No, the impact of the "01" and flag only cause the owner more heartache because MOST folks know the Chevelle, same with the '69 Camaro you mentioned. Those cars were popular even without a movie or TV show. How many Chevelles and Camaro's were built and sold VS Chargers? MOST folks already know the Camaro of '69 was Dare I say it?, MORE popular back in '69. You think the DOH comments are bad about Chargers, you should see the Cuda/Challenger guys when someone calls their car a "Camaro"....Wow.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BananaDan

I love DOH, grew up on it.  It is likely one of the reasons I now own a Charger, but if I wanna see one jump there is plenty to watch on the DOH box set. I see no need to jump the cars today.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Apparently the sling Cooter is talking about was invented for the DOH and is still used today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Baxleys invented it.

Mike DC

QuoteI am not sure, but I thought jump cars had to be solid? I read an add awhile back saying that the stunt crew at dukes fest wouldn't use a rust bucket cause it was dangerous to the driver. If that is true, then that makes me sick

The TV/Hollywood guys still don't like using jump cars without reasonably solid subframe rails.  They're okay with patching up or fabricating the flooring & outer skin.  The jump cars these days typically have gallons of bondo on them.  They are willing to jump cars with tweaked frames from previous wrecks as long as the previous wreck wasn't huge.

-------------------------------------------------

QuoteOk, While one of the most well know stunt drivers is gone, Al I think I remember reading about a "Harness" that kinda "Hung" him from the cage so his back didn't take the full brunt of the impact. Yes, in the beginning however, it was "Some" "safety" items in the car, but nothing like was in them towards the end of DOH run.

The bungee vest -

Picture a nylon corset that you wear tightly around the ribcage.  Give it shoulder straps with attaching rings like a parachute harness would have.  Use stiff bungee cords to attach the vest to the ceiling of the car (main hoop of the rollcage.) 

The bungee vest pulls the driver's torso/ribcage upwards, while the standard racing harness is holding his pelvis down on the seat.  His vertebrate are held stretched between the two.  The whole thing is pretty uncomfortable to wear for more than 45 seconds at a time, but it works. 

cdr

well,,,,,concerning the doh,i was charger when charger wasent cool,if there is such a thing lol,i dont like seein them wrecked but IT IS GONNA HAPPEN  :shruggy: 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Cooter

This is interesting...

243,085 Units for the '69 Camaro....

1969 Dodge Charger...... 89199 units....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

cdr

Quote from: Cooter on June 06, 2012, 11:38:14 AM
This is interesting...

WOW lotsa junk made                         
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Chargen69

i think somebody ask him one time what it was like to jump a car, and he said strap yourself to a chair and push it out a 2 story window, you'd get the same effect.

Back N Black

This is interesting...

So, what you are saying is the camaro was more popular than the charger, despite the fact it was not used in DOH.  :D

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Back N Black on June 06, 2012, 05:27:13 PM
This is interesting...

So, what you are saying is the camaro was more popular than the charger, despite the fact it was not used in DOH.  :D

Impossible, if it wasn't on DOH no one could possibly have known it ever existed  :icon_smile_big:

Brock Lee

Fact. They sold more 1969 Chargers after the Dukes debuted.

AirborneSilva

Well knight rider didn't make me want to run out and get a firebird, and i already knew what it was......  guess I'm just not the sheep others are and hollywood has no sway over me  :shruggy:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Brock Lee on June 07, 2012, 04:48:11 AM

:shruggy: Huh? How is that even possible?

Brock Lee

That is how influential that show was. It had guys hard for General Lees 10 years ahead of time.

Cooter

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 07, 2012, 06:14:03 AM
Quote from: Brock Lee on June 07, 2012, 04:48:11 AM

:shruggy: Huh? How is that even possible?

I believe if this is in fact, an actual question and yet, not another poor attempt at humor like these idiots are trying...I believe you were meant to read it as "Fact. The 1969 Chargers sold For more after the Dukes debuted."

Everybody here should be Hella grateful the DOH did what it did for the Charger, but alas, as with "Christine" and 1958 Plymouths, there will always be the inevidable idiot that thinks he can fly in the face of common sense and deny that a TV series/motion picture had ANYTHING to do with the popularity of said vehicle. Some here will fall back on this "Humor" to keep from seeing what's in front of them plain as day. Some will get caught in the middle of something like this and clearly NOT see what is going on and I believe that is you. I took your question seriously, and the rest have tried to "Save face" by posting Sarcastic bullsh*t in an attempt to be cute. Sorry if you were misled into thinking they were actually posting seriously.

Ghoste

Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with you is commonly labelled "idiot"?  If you find real merit in your argument can't you just let it stand on it's own instead of using insults and disclaimers?

Cooter

Quote from: Ghoste on June 07, 2012, 06:27:24 AM
Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with you is commonly labelled "idiot"?  If you find real merit in your argument can't you just let it stand on it's own instead of using insults and disclaimers?

Why is it you can't actually READ WTF it is I posted and stop trying to post "Misread" sh*t as truth? If you spent as much time trying to understand why I say what I say instead of trying to post as these guys do, you might learn something kid.

If you bothered to READ WTF I was saying Ghoste, you would CLEALRY see I was Referring to these "Idiots" for POSTING THIS SARCASTIC BULLSH*T....I could give to sh*ts if they agree or not, in fact, I prefer them to disagree.

Dino

That's interesting about the harness.  As much as I would love to find out how it feels to jump a car, I probably wouldn't have the stones to actually do it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on June 07, 2012, 06:29:46 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on June 07, 2012, 06:27:24 AM
Why is it that anyone who doesn't agree with you is commonly labelled "idiot"?  If you find real merit in your argument can't you just let it stand on it's own instead of using insults and disclaimers?

Why is it you can't actually READ WTF it is I posted and stop trying to post "Misread" sh*t as truth? If you spent as much time trying to understand why I say what I say instead of trying to post as these guys do, you might learn something kid.

If you bothered to READ WTF I was saying Ghost, you would CLEALRY see I was Referring to these "Idiots" for POSTING THIS SARCASTIC BULLSH*T....I could give to sh*ts if they agree or not, in fact, I prefer them to disagree.

Yes, well...

bill440rt

I'm asking this in a serious fashion, as I am just trying to better understand this argument.

For all the '58 Plymouths out there that are deemed unrestorable & unwanted, should they then be burned like in the movie??  :shruggy:   
It is an apples-to-apples comparison, if you think about it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Bobby41909

Quote from: bill440rt on June 07, 2012, 01:08:37 PM
I'm asking this in a serious fashion, as I am just trying to better understand this argument.

For all the '58 Plymouths out there that are deemed unrestorable & unwanted, should they then be burned like in the movie??  :shruggy:   

Is there a following of folks looking to do so?  If so I've never heard of it.  If there were and you were just going to scrap the metal anyway...why not?

I do know that the original cast of the DOH has bookings (appearances and signings) almost all year long.  I've even heard some of them can collect more than $50k in one such session, although I am sure the norm is around $10k.  There's also a few stores open all year long (even through this recession) specific to the DOH series and several annual festivals that have hundreds of folks attend.   

Mike DC

QuoteI'm asking this in a serious fashion, as I am just trying to better understand this argument.

For all the '58 Plymouths out there that are deemed unrestorable & unwanted, should they then be burned like in the movie??  shruggy  

You're right, it's not really that far off at all.  Although I would point out that DOH fans aren't exactly out to "burn" all of them.  One car per year is going to take a while to add up to much when measured against the production figures.  

If the cars were decent and/or they started doing a jump several times each summer, then I think the outcry from DOH fans would be much greater.  The whole thing has a mixed reception among DOH fans ever since the event planners started scheduling GL jumps 9 years ago.  

Think of it this way:  Do you support the ridiculously high swap-meet prices at the major Mopar events like the Nationals?  Probably not.  But would you refuse to attend any of the big Mopar events in protest?  If you still show up to the event that has higher swapmeet prices, then I could argue that you are "supporting" those high prices.  Regardless of your opinion about the prices, regardless of whether you even bought anything at the swapmeet at all  . . . you attended the event.    

Lots of DOH fans feel this way about the continued GL jumping.  They might rather see it stop or happen much less often.  But it helps event attendance (especially among local crowds and people who only come to DOH events rarely).  Some diehards "put up with it" because they want to attend the fan events for more normal reasons.  

BananaDan

One thing to keep in mind though, to be fair, the Charger population is a lot smaller today than it was when they were making the show.   :Twocents:
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

bill440rt

Mike, I see & understand your point, however it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Swap meet vendors can ask anything they want for parts, it doesn't mean they're gonna sell them. I don't see the correlation.

Since you did ask, there are a few local shows I will not go to due to high entry fees. And I haven't been to the Nats in 12 years, but it's not due to swap meet prices.  :2thumbs:

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mike DC

QuoteMike, I see & understand your point, however it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Swap meet vendors can ask anything they want for parts, it doesn't mean they're gonna sell them. I don't see the correlation.

DOH event planners can pay for a jump but it doesn't mean anyone has to watch it.  The car is in the air for less than 3 seconds out of an event that usually lasts a weekend.  

I don't know if anyone at a DOH show has literally refused to watch a jump in "protest," but I'm just saying it's not the only thing that goes on at the event.  In some cases people have gone there for hours and left before seeing the stunt show.  Most of the event is set up similar to any other car show or fan event centered on a TV/movie franchise.   Friends from different states meet up to say hi, cars are cruised, people meet & get autographs from the cast, etc.

There are other DOH get-togethers that don't involve any Charger-wrecking, maybe 1-3 times a year in various places.  The stunt shows are just something that goes on at the biggest ones (sometimes).  The other events still have people & cars gathering from different states, cast members making appearances, etc.  But the DOH events without a GL jump go mostly unnoticed on forums like this because they don't cause any controversy.