News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger Build - It moves!

Started by chaos52, June 08, 2012, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaos52

I need to take photos of my most recent progress on the engine compartment and the transmission. I should have those posted later this week.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chaos52

Photos from today. I primed a couple spots in the engine compartment just to give myself more material to work with. As mentioned before, it's still a bit wavy from the wreck.

I'll be shopping for (non polyester) primer and paint before long. I'm debating whether to paint the engine compartment first or spray it with the rest of the body.

I sent YearOne a message today. My Z-Bar bracket isn't going to be back in stock until next week. So, the transmission will be sitting around for awhile yet. Oh well.
:popcrn:

chaos52

chaos52

Baldwinvette77

chaos52

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on October 02, 2013, 09:01:05 PM
Nice, Very very nice  :popcrn:

Thanks! I always enjoy checking out the latest on your build.

TUFCAT

I can't believe I missed this thread....but hey, I'm all in now. :yesnod:  Keep those progress pictures coming!  :2thumbs:

fy469rtse

looks great, keep it up ,  :2thumbs:
most guy's would have turned away from that wreck, another one saved thanks to you ,
undo that steering box ,three bolts and swing it over so you can paint frame rail and bottom of shock tower, looks good , and easy to put back as its still attached to steering linkages,
once that engine bay is painted with a nice gloss finish, it will look better then the factory finish by a mile, paint it first with door jams, inside of doors , boot lid the hang all the panels and paint the whole outside of car in one go 

chaos52

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 03, 2013, 12:25:19 AM
looks great, keep it up ,  :2thumbs:
most guy's would have turned away from that wreck, another one saved thanks to you ,
undo that steering box ,three bolts and swing it over so you can paint frame rail and bottom of shock tower, looks good , and easy to put back as its still attached to steering linkages,
once that engine bay is painted with a nice gloss finish, it will look better then the factory finish by a mile, paint it first with door jams, inside of doors , boot lid the hang all the panels and paint the whole outside of car in one go 

I will be dropping the K frame and suspension before too long. I need to paint the inner fenders and the under sides of the frame rails anyway and getting all that out of the way for priming and painting will be good.

At this point I'm planning to paint the body, then spray the fenders, doors, hood and decklid separate. It will be easier to spray smaller pieces in our shop and I think it will help to stay motivated on the block sanding. (sand a couple pieces and paint them instead of sanding everything in one shot)

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

lexxman

Your coming along,looks great. Ya the sanding get to ya , it can make you crazy :pullinghair:

chaos52

Quick update:

The Z-bar bracket came. I jacked the trans up into place, bolted in the crossmember, got the z-bar lined up and welded the bracket on.

Other than that I've just been sanding on the rear and quarter panels. A painter-friend is going to pick up the primer I need. Going with a Sherman Williams product. Apparently it's really nice--should be for $300/gal!

Final prime on the body could be within the next couple weeks!  :woohoo:

70moparman

Looks good ~ Keep it up!   :2thumbs:

chaos52

Question for the body guys - what do you think of Sherwin Williams P30B primer?

Worked all day yesterday putting up lights and insulation in the shop. Getting closer....

djcarguy

howdy whats happening[,what new???

Well its been bugging me for weeks,,whos DART an details an can we see a few more pixs of it???

Hope ya charger is coming alone an shop is lots warmer an more useable, take care an get lots done.lattter dj
:popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:    DART???   ???   ??? :icon_smile_question:

chaos52

Quote from: djcarguy on December 06, 2013, 07:07:25 AM

Well its been bugging me for weeks,,whos DART an details an can we see a few more pixs of it???

Hope ya charger is coming alone an shop is lots warmer an more useable, take care an get lots done.lattter dj
:popcrn: :drool5: :popcrn: :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:    DART???   ???   ??? :icon_smile_question:

I started wet sanding yesterday. Final prime will should be in a couple weeks!

The shop is now fully insulated and stays nice and warm. We also cemented the holes in the floor where wooden beams used to be. So, that's nice for keeping things clean and rolling the floor jack around. There's more to be done before it's suitable for painting, but it's getting close.

The Dart is my dad's. It's a '68 GTS. 340 4-speed originally (I think). Running a 360 and 904 now. His name on here is ProDartGTS

Thanks for asking!

ProDartGTS

The Dart is mine.   I'll post elsewhere about it as I dont want to hijack this build thread.
Mike
-----------------------------------
1968 Dodge Dart GTS ProStreet
1974 Swinger
1947 Ford Tudor Streetrod

6pkrtse

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on June 07, 2013, 11:00:22 AM
Nice progress so far.  Here's a shot of my W1 before and after.

Nice. I like the blue long. stripe. My red 70' is originall B3 blue with the blue long. stripe also. I have been told by many people that there was no such thing as a blue long. sripe & that they only came in black or white. Its on my fender tag. I never argue I just let them talk.
1963 Belvedere 413 Max Wedge
1970 Charger R/T S.E. 440 sixpack.
1970 Challenger R/T Drag Radial 528 Hemi
1970 Charger 500 S.E. 440 4 BBL
1970 Road Runner 383 4 BBL
1974 Chrysler New Yorker 440 4 BBL
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 488 cu in.
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD Dually 6x6
2012 Challenger R/T Classic

ProDartGTS

Quote from: djcarguy on December 06, 2013, 07:07:25 AM

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,106657.0.html
Mike
-----------------------------------
1968 Dodge Dart GTS ProStreet
1974 Swinger
1947 Ford Tudor Streetrod

chaos52

Long overdue update...

Finally sorted out some issues with the front valance. One fender was shorter than the other, so the valance was about 1/4" higher on one side. I ended up cutting the fender. (illustrated with the red line) bending it down into place and welding it back together. It was several hours extra work, but the perfect fit makes it worth it!

Today I tore the car down. Dad sprayed what is hopefully the last coat of primer. The body is looking pretty straight. There are a few areas that will need to be touched up before paint - fisheyes, etc.

Will hopefully be shooting paint in January!

chaos52

chaos52

chaos52