News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who here hates the charger prices?

Started by mustanghater, January 31, 2006, 06:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mustanghater

I hate the prices the chargers are going for! I remember a few years ago you could get a clean '69 charger for $5,000 now a non running project can get $10,000. Some prices are coming down but most are still up there. I've been looking for a week for a car to work on for Auto body next year, a '68 or '70, but now I've decided to buy something else. Who is to blame for these prices? the movies or BJ.
New Muscle car forum
http://usav8.com/aamc/index.php
www.myspace.com/spencespeed

andy74

find a shit box,then spend the rest of your time at school fixing it-that would be a great learning expierence,and you would have less time on the web

Chris G.

Yes Hater, I do agree with you. The private sellers have hopes and dreams with some of the prices they want, but the dealers have totally lost it. They mark up Chargers at least 15K more than the so called going rate no matter what the condition.

This guy Steve Anastos just bid 100K on a V Code '70. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-SE-Very-Rare-1970-Dodge-Charger-SE-440-6pack-Pristine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6199QQitemZ4609083777QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW  Sometimes you have to blame the buyers with big money as well. Ahhhh whatever, if I had money this wouldn't be an issue. ;)

Even the Demons and 340 Darts are climbing over 20K.

terrible one

I completly hate them. Especially since I'm young and broke. It's been very hard to get the car, and that was barely managable. Now paying for the project is going to be a bitch. Think what you will, but I'm not into the whole Mopar craze because of the huge fad it's become. I'm really amazed at how much prices have completly soared.

NHCharger

Why not look at a 3rd gen Charger. 73/74, plenty left at reasonable prices(kind of) and parts aren't to hard to find.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ghoste

It won't likely be any easier when you're older.  The worst part is, most of the guys who are inflating the prices to stupid levels have likely never been greasy in their whole life.  

kab69440

The public at large is responsible for high prices. Everybody wants one, and there are simply not enough to go around. Add to that all the people making a living flipping and parting the cars, and the available number of them gets smaller yet. I myself am guilty of paying too much for things, just like everyone else putting a rotten, gutted heap together.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Ghoste

The public at large have always wanted them.  Until B-J assembled drunken millionaires in a tent and then broadcast their ego filled excess to a national audience the price rose in a normal fashion.  The increases in the last couple of years and especially this year are not normal.  It's circus fallout.

Chris G.

Quote from: Ghoste on January 31, 2006, 07:03:30 PM
The public at large have always wanted them.  Until B-J assembled drunken millionaires in a tent and then broadcast their ego filled excess to a national audience the price rose in a normal fashion.  The increases in the last couple of years and especially this year are not normal.  It's circus fallout.

Don't blame BJ for it all. I think this is the only site where we praise the "flippers" who are members here.  :shruggy:

terrible one

Quote from: Ghoste on January 31, 2006, 06:49:54 PM
The worst part is, most of the guys who are inflating the prices to stupid levels have likely never been greasy in their whole life. 

Exactly. That really pisses me off. Everyone sees these cars as just an investment, and are following a huge trend. It's horrible. And yes, BJ really inflates the hell out of prices, but aren't fully to blame. There are a lot of different factors.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chris G.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Im a mod......all I can do is eat popcorn
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

JimShine

The prices don't bother me. Its supply and demand. I'd love my cars no less even if they were only worth $1.

hemihead

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on January 31, 2006, 06:30:58 PM
Yes Hater, I do agree with you. The private sellers have hopes and dreams with some of the prices they want, but the dealers have totally lost it. They mark up Chargers at least 15K more than the so called going rate no matter what the condition.

This guy Steve Anastos just bid 100K on a V Code '70. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-SE-Very-Rare-1970-Dodge-Charger-SE-440-6pack-Pristine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6199QQitemZ4609083777QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW  Sometimes you have to blame the buyers with big money as well. Ahhhh whatever, if I had money this wouldn't be an issue. ;)

Even the Demons and 340 Darts are climbing over 20K.
Not only the dealers.
Quote from: NHCharger on January 31, 2006, 06:49:23 PM
Why not look at a 3rd gen Charger. 73/74, plenty left at reasonable prices(kind of) and parts aren't to hard to find.
Parts aren't cheap for these either.
Agree
Quote from: Burnt70R/T on January 31, 2006, 07:06:55 PM

Don't blame BJ for it all. I think this is the only site where we praise the "flippers" who are members here.  :shruggy:
Definately Agree
Quote from: Ghoste on January 31, 2006, 06:49:54 PM
It won't likely be any easier when you're older.  The worst part is, most of the guys who are inflating the prices to stupid levels have likely never been greasy in their whole life. 
This is sooo true.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

andy74

3rd gen charger stuff is getting out of hand quickly!

hater,all kidding aside,why dont you try to find a later style volare,aspen etc? you should be able to find one decent priced,and at least youll have something to start with.or,maybe a cordoba/magnum?i dont think many kids your age start out with a full blown muscle car,work within your budget and get the best you can afford-and remember that body work cost tons more than mechanical stuff.also,stick with a small block for the first time,parts cost less and easier on fuel too

this is the same advice i gave my 15 year old son 2 nights ago,just so you know

sharpspike

well, they arent making any more ( except the 4 door one ) so if you have two guys bidding on one its gonna depend on who wants it the most. that equals high $$$$.

parts= most arent being reproduced, those that are have to be profitable enough for someone to invest in tooling and production. its not like every house on every block is going to buy one.

used parts, again they sell to whoever wants it the most. ebay am/fm bezel $104, bumper jack $300, check mark trim $800. the seller didnt set the price "we" did. if "we" dont buy it the price will come down and no one will reproduce parts and everybody will live happily ever after.

oh yea, one more thing  :popcrn: :drool5:

whitehatspecial

I have a very strong feeling if look back at current prices 10 years from now, they'd seem like a real bargain. If you find the part(s) or car you like, buy them for what you are willing to spend. Quality parts and good cars are hard to find now and won't get any easier as time marches on. Just my opinion. Repro stuff can come down in price as the supply for original parts dries up, if that's what you're willing to put in your car.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

bull

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on January 31, 2006, 07:12:25 PM
Im a mod......all I can do is eat popcorn

And you're not even eating it, it's nothing more than a virtual snack at best. Then, to make matters worse, you've got a picture of a stubby little '69 under your signature...

Regarding the topic, I don't know what to say that will provide any condolence. I'm in the midst of a restoration right now and I'm wondering how long I can stand working overtime and/or a second job to pay for it all. At the moment it looks like I'll be into the whole thing for $25k, but I own the car outright (paid $5,500 three years ago) and I've saved up about 70% of the remaining money I'll need to finish it. The only thing that keeps me going right now is knowing that I'll have a nice '68 Charger when I'm done. If I had been smarter in the past I would have accomplished all I'm trying to do now but I would have done it 10 or 15 years ago, or I'd have never sold my '70 to begin with. But back then I wasn't making nearly as much money so I probably would have been in the same boat. Worrying about the past does you no good though so you've basically got to decide how bad you want it and how much you want to sacrifice now. The deck is stacked against you being so young too. I'm 39 and making about $50k/yr and that just pays for the basics in life, thus the overtime and second job to bridge the gap for restortion costs. The bodywork and paint are major budget killers unless you do it all yourself, and I'm not comfortable doing that myself. Andy's suggestion isn't bad. I'd almost rather go back to college myself and join the automotive program for the soul purpose of restoring my car. I guess if I were young and single like you I would either do that or find a good paying job busting my hump for all the hours I could and try to make my earnings outpace the price increase of the car I wanted. If you worked your tail off for two years, saved all the money you earned and had mom and dad pay for your room and board, you'd probably be where you want to be. They might shoot you when you blow it all on a Charger but hey, you'd have a Charger.

6pkrunner

The prices for all Mopar (and most collector cars for that matter) has shot out of reach of the average Schmoe working a 9 to 5 job with the normal financial committments. Yes I hate it too and honestly hope that the oft talked about but not seen yet market readjustment comes. Fine for me as the stuff I have will never be for sale (wife can sell it when I'm pushing up daisies) so whether or not my junk is $5,000 a car or $50,000 a car doesn't concern me. Getting parts - well that is the reciprocal of the curse and it kicks hard.
But when a drop top E body goes for well into 7 figures...... and a steering wheel is $2500 and on and on.....

terrible one

Yeah, I can do some bodywork, but I don't know if I'm comfortable doing all of the stuff on my Charger. I don't want to cut corners. Paint is a real bitch. Once again, you don't want it looking bad and all, but a good paint job is so damn expensive!

Chad L. Magee

Well.....  Get ready for my rant on this topic........

I have a different take on this than most.  I have been telling people to buy 1968-70 Chargers, Shelbys, Hemi anything, and such for the past ten years.  Everybody thought that the prices were too high then and they would just go down as they did in 1989.....  That is where I messed up according to them.....  I listened to my own advice and did what everybody thought was wrong.  I guess you could say I did the same thing in the metals market.  I have been blessed with the ability to be at the right place and at the right time when it comes to Chargers and parts.  I only turned down a few deals due to money/storage issues that I really regret.  I had a deal back in 2000 where I could have bought fifteen of them in a package deal for $4000.  Most were shells, but some were complete.  Most ended up being recycled......  Am I mad now that the prices have shot up?  No, I realize that they are rarer now and a surge in public interest has caused the price increase (supply vs. demand).  I do regret not buying a certain 1970 Barracuda coupe up in Vermillion, SD that I could have bought for $1500.  It was a /6 car orginally and would have looked nice next to my /6 Charger.  What I do get tired of is people wanting to buy a rust free second gen for what they went for back in the mid 70s.  I have had people stop by and get mad at me, not just because I won't sell them a car, but because they could not afford the steering wheel that was in it.......
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

chargervert

Everything has gone up in price,look at the price of houses,I don't know how anyone can afford to buy one nowadays! The price of electricity,gas,oil,and the values of the Mopars! Some of the cars are priced way over the top! Most Chargers,are still reasonable,just look into E bodies,and the Chargers will look like bargains!

MGBRingo

I bought my Charger back in 1981 for $2,500.  Have only added about $500 to it since then.  I turned down a twin to it a month later.    It seemed awful high priced back then.  Thought it might go up in value a little bit.  In another 20 years we will be saying, 'boy that Charger for $25,000 back in 06 sure was a steal'. 

If you need to, put your Charger on the back burner for a few years.  Don't sell it.  Buy a reliable driver like a Honda etc. and save money for upgrades to the Charger when it is worth even more than it is now.

BB1

Yes, try Cudas,... Chargers are cheap.  :nana:

I to like the popcorn man too.  :popcrn:  :popcrn:
Delete my profile