News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reunion of Superbird with original owner and son.

Started by Arnie Cunningham, June 11, 2012, 05:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

A couple of weeks ago, a unique opportunity arose.  I received a call from the son (Shawn) of the original owner (Bill) of my car.  His father (Bill) was going to be back in North Dakota for a brief time to attend his granddaughter's high school graduation.  Shawn wondered if it would be possible for his father to see the car.  It had been 40 years since Bill had seen the car in person.

NOTE: I live in Nevada but the car is stored in Mandan, North Dakota about 7 miles from where it was sold new in 1970.  The original owner, Bill, was from the Elgin/Mott area about 100 or so miles from Mandan.  I had met Shawn by chance 6 years ago when passing through Elgin with the Superbird.  Until then, I did not know who he was or that he still lived in Elgin.  Bill has lived out of State for decades.

Just reuniting Bill and Shawn with the car did not seem to take full advantage of this unique opportunity so I asked Shawn if he would rather just take the car back to Elgin for the weekend.  He enthusiastically agreed.

This was to be a very big deal for all involved.  Shawn had sat on his father's lap and steered the Superbird when it was new.  Now 40 years after the sale of the Superbird in 1972, Bill, Shawn and the Superbird would be in the same place at the same time.

The weekend went fantastically well.  So well in fact that Shawn kept the car in Elgin for an extra week to drive it in the Elgin Days parade.  This brought forward a number of people who remembered the car from back in the day.  It is my hope that this reunion will unearth some vintage photos.  Someone must have taken some of such an odd car in a small ND town.

With luck I might be able to bring forward some of the stories that Bill remembers about the car.  Like how he got 3 speeding tickets in 3 different States in the same day.

Brennan R. Cook
RM23U0A169492
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

nascarxx29

Great story and history hearing from past owner they have back in the day pictures/ paperwork documentation
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

69 DAYTONA

...very nice story and your generosity is to be commended

Bob T

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on June 11, 2012, 08:18:49 PM
...very nice story and your generosity is to be commended

My sentiments as well.
Who could imagine seeing your old car in 40 years time, what a blast for the Father
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Ghoste

Looking forward to the next part of this tale. :2thumbs:
3 Tix, 3 states, 1 day huh?  He certainly was using the car as intended. lol  Did he give you any more details about that incident(s)?

moparstuart

did you get a photo of you and him in front of the original selling dealership   :shruggy:

triple_green

one of my favorite parts of owning these old cars is when you can use them to "make someones day"

Congratulations!!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

404NOTFOUND

That's funny about the three tickets. "Officer(s), this car just seems to slice through the wind" :angel:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Hemi Runner

Sooooooooo......if you're lending out superbirds for the weekend, I want one!! :rofl: :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: Hemi Runner on June 12, 2012, 10:21:01 AM
Sooooooooo......if you're lending out superbirds for the weekend, I want one!! :rofl: :2thumbs:
me too   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

70Sbird

Good Job Brennan!
Kudos and Karma points awarded!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

Arnie Cunningham

Thanks All.  It was a genuine pleasure just to be able to allow this situation to come about.  I hope to get Bill to write down some of the stories and allow me to put them out here on the web.  Some of them are a bit "adult" lol.  Apparently the Superbird was quite the chick magnet.  I think he will agree to let me publish the mechanical issues he had with the car.  To his recollection, the engine was replaced twice at least under warrantee.  One of the failures came at 120mph and pieces of the engine exited under the car and hit the bottom of the car as he passed over them.  WOW.

I would have liked to get a photo with them at the old dealership but it closed decades ago and now is a Bank or parking lot or something.  They did take a bunch of photos and when I get them I will upload them if they allow me to.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.