News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What makes an RT Charger, RT?

Started by Ratchet, June 13, 2012, 04:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratchet

im in the middle of converting my 1969 SE Charger to a RT Replica, i was just wondering what exactly do i have to change apart from the badges?  :icon_smile_big:

J-440

Get you a 383, 426, or a 440, a big block tranny, and a 8 3/4" or Dana rear, bigger torsion bars, bigger wheels and I think that's about it.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Ratchet

already have all that so that saves me some trouble  :icon_smile_big: what about interior?

Dino

Bigger brakes, extra leaf spring.  No changes in the interior.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

No 383.  440 standard and Hemi optional, thats it for engine choices.  Bigger brakes if drums (11 inch) and bigger rear leaf spring pack.

Good info here.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/dealerships/1969DealershipDataBook-03.shtml  

Mike DC

There is confusion about engines because a Challenger with a 383/4barrel was an R/T. 

But on Chargers only the 440 & Hemi were R/Ts. 

J-440

68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Ghoste

More like idiot savants.  (well some of us anyway) :silly:

Ratchet

thanks for the link, it has a 440 in it so im already half way there  :icon_smile_big:

Dino

Quote from: Ratchet on June 14, 2012, 01:14:52 AM
thanks for the link, it has a 440 in it so im already half way there  :icon_smile_big:

You've got the important bit, the rest is kinda optional.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

gschmidt211

If you google 1969 Charger brochure, I found the sales brochure for the car.  It lists a few things that are standard, including the racing stripe.
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

gschmidt211

On the same site, there is a posting of a window sticker for a green hemi car.  On the window sticker, it calls out the R/T package and lists the following items as standard:

Bucket Seats
Vinyl Trim
Front Air Foam Seat Cushion
Electric Clock
Bumper Guards - Front and Rear
H.D. Rear Springs
H.D. Torsion Bars
Sway Bar
H.D. Shock Absorbers
H.D. Drum Brakes
H.D. Battery
Red Streak Tires
Magnum 440 CID 4 BBL Engine
Torqueflite Transmission
Bumblebee stripes

1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

Ghoste

I like how foam seat cushion is listed as standard equipment.  I suppose in the regular Charger you just got a wooden bench. :lol:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: gschmidt211 on June 14, 2012, 01:08:42 PM
If you google 1969 Charger brochure, I found the sales brochure for the car.  It lists a few things that are standard, including the racing stripe.

Which could be deleted through V88

Troy

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on June 14, 2012, 02:51:19 PM
Quote from: gschmidt211 on June 14, 2012, 01:08:42 PM

Which could be deleted through V88
Yes, but then you got the big R/T emblems on the quarters. In 68, when the stripe was deleted it was truly deleted - nothing there.

In addition to bigger brakes, springs/torsion bars, shocks, and battery, an R/T may or may not have gotten chrome exhaust tips (California had turn-downs I believe) and an unsilenced air cleaner (again, Cali was different). The Hemi got a whole boatload of specific parts but I don't think you're asking about that.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

Correct on both counts for those crazy Cali folks.

ODZKing

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2012, 01:19:58 PM
I like how foam seat cushion is listed as standard equipment.  I suppose in the regular Charger you just got a wooden bench. :lol:
I put nothing past Ma Mopar   :smilielol:

Ghoste

And ninyl trim was standard on the RT too unlike the base Charger with exposed metal and carboard. :eyes: :lol:

moparfan53

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2012, 03:52:57 PM
And vinyl trim was standard on the RT too unlike the base Charger with exposed metal and carboard. :eyes: :lol:

No offence, but if you are referring to the lack of upper trim pads I believe that was only in 1970 with the new base XH model. I am fairly sure in 1969 all models (XP, XS, XX) had the same interior.  :Twocents:

:cheers:

moparfan53

Quote from: Ratchet on June 13, 2012, 04:22:20 AM
im in the middle of converting my 1969 SE Charger to a RT Replica, i was just wondering what exactly do i have to change apart from the badges?  :icon_smile_big:

I researched this a few years ago when building my 69 Charger R/T clone/tribute/replica/recreation (use the term you prefer  ;D).

In addition to what has already been mentioned, R/T cars had;
-different fuel supply: 3/8 sender with 1/4 return line and a fuel vapor separator (picture below)
-larger driveline: 7290 series (2-5/8") instead of 7260 (2-1/8")  note: some 383 cars also had the 7290
-different transmissions: 4 speed cars had the HD 18 spline instead of the 23 spline, I think the 727 auto transmissions had an extra clutch pack as compared to a 383 2bbl car.

The only thing I did not do was the fuel separator. Instead I used a 3 nipple filter with the return line and the 3/8 sender. Yes, my buddies called me picky! I think the word "anal" was used sometimes.  ;D

Anyway, I wanted the car to be as close as possible to a factory R/T, so I ended up happy! :2thumbs:

HANDM

The triple black that I used to have (long story) had all of the above mentioned items plus a rear defogger but with a 383-4 and obvously no butt stripe
As close to an R/T as you could get without the insurance bill I guess

myk

Quote from: moparfan53 on June 14, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

The only thing I did not do was the fuel separator. Instead I used a 3 nipple filter with the return line and the 3/8 sender. Yes, my buddies called me picky! I think the word "anal" was used sometimes.  ;D

Hmmm, that's interesting.  Got a part number or a 'pic in case I need to change out my fuel separator for what you're using?  How does this uh....triple nipple work out for you?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

moparfan53

Quote from: myk on June 15, 2012, 12:12:54 AM
Hmmm, that's interesting.  Got a part number or a 'pic in case I need to change out my fuel separator for what you're using?  How does this uh....triple nipple work out for you?

Triple nipple works fine ;D   Wix# 33054, Fram# G3499. Here is link to pic and specs.
http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=G3499

moparfan53

Quote from: moparfan53 on June 14, 2012, 05:12:56 PM
And vinyl trim was standard on the RT too unlike the base Charger with exposed metal and carboard. :eyes: :lol:

No offence, but if you are referring to the lack of upper trim pads I believe that was only in 1970 with the new base XH model. I am fairly sure in 1969 all models (XP, XS, XX) had the same interior.  :Twocents:

EDIT: Just realized you were making a joke  :brickwall:   I can be slow at times! ;D     Sorry about that Ghoste!

Ghoste

Quote from: moparfan53 on June 14, 2012, 05:12:56 PM

No, I am making a joke about the fact in that 1969 Monroney label that was posted, Dodge listed the vinyl trim as standard equipment for an RT as though it were a big deal and you were getting something special for your extra money spent when in fact it was a standard feature of every 1969 Charger and well, pretty much every Dodge they made at the time.

moparfan53

Quote from: Ratchet on June 13, 2012, 04:22:20 AM
im in the middle of converting my 1969 SE Charger to a RT Replica, i was just wondering what exactly do i have to change apart from the badges?  :icon_smile_big:

Another thing, in case you want to be as picky as I was  ;D, is the exhaust. The R/T used the "H" pipe design instead of regular dual exhaust.

If you can, keep us up to date on your progress.

Ratchet

i realize there is a lot more to do than what i originally thought, still going to do it, gonna be fun. Would love to keep you up to date, will post pics up once it finished. Thanks for all your help  :icon_smile_big: