News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator Internal Short

Started by W4ATL, May 07, 2012, 01:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4ATL

The alternator shorted internally on my '68 Charger with A/C. This is the second alternator in 4 years. The first one stopped charging and now this one went to a dead short blowing my fusible link.

These auto parts alternators just aren't working for me. Does anyone know of a source of a quality alternator or a place to get this one fixed right so it will last?

FLG

Is this car a "correct" parts resto?

Switch to a 1 wire GM alternator and all your problems will be solved, including not charging at idle.

Chryco Psycho

I had a local rebuilder that did awesome work for me , there is the possibilty of upgrading to a Denso unit , also if you arte nto concerned with originality

W4ATL

Quote from: FLG on May 07, 2012, 01:45:15 PM
Is this car a "correct" parts resto?

Switch to a 1 wire GM alternator and all your problems will be solved, including not charging at idle.

Not correct...just a nice driver. Will the GM unit drop in or will I need to hack and weld? And I assume I just run the one wire to the battery.

FLG

Im using.my.phone so excuse the typos.

Its basically a drop in deal

No need to run a wire its there already with your current alt bur.its inertnally.regulsted so.it.does away with the external.regulator.

W4ATL

Quote from: FLG on May 07, 2012, 03:41:21 PM
Im using.my.phone so excuse the typos.

Its basically a drop in deal

No need to run a wire its there already with your current alt bur.its inertnally.regulsted so.it.does away with the external.regulator.

Thanks. Do you have the part number?

FLG

This should cover you,

http://store.440source.com/Lightweight-Alternator-Retrofit-Kit/productinfo/122-1004/

Mancini also sells a kit.

Not exactly a "GM" alt (im not sure what the denso is out of), but same idea.

W4ATL

Here is an update on my electrical issues. I decided to go with a Powermaster alternator from Summitt instead of a one wire alternator so that wiring between my Road Runner and Charger are similar. The alternator they sent has a 2 Field connections so I grounded one. I discovered that my Voltage Regulator was bad so another is on order. I ran an 8 gauge wire from the alternator to the Battery connection on the starter relay with a fusible link at the starter relay connection.

The real interesting thing is that in checking the wiring of the voltage regulator, I discovered the connections to the ballast resistors were wrong. There was an extra wire running from the Fld connection of the voltage regulator to Ignition 2 of the key switch. Ignition 2 and 1 was reversed on the ballast resistor. I'm not sure how this car was running but whoever put the electronic ignition in did not pay attention to the correct wiring. This is most likely the reason I have been going through coils and having alternator issues.  Anyway, I decided to re-wire it like it should be and it started right up Whew!   I also ran a tach wire from the (-) terminal of the coil and through an empty slot on the bulkhead connector for my new tach that is being installed in my instrument cluster. When I get the cluster back from Redline I should be ready to go.

Chryco Psycho

Unfortunatly Powermaster is the last brand I would use , I have seen them last a liitle as 2 days before they fry .
I hope you have better luck than I have had .

W4ATL

Got the cluster back from Redline and installed it. I had Redline install the Tach in place of the dead clock and convert the ammeter to a voltmeter. Everything works great and it is a real pleasure to see my gauges and have a working tach. The re-wire is working with the bypass from alternator to the battery and the ignition wiring correction.

I would recommend that anyone going to send the cluster to Redline to remove the bezel (black piece that you see with the lettering on it.) They do not redo that and it can just get damaged in transit.

Charger RT

I would love to see a picture of the volt meter.
Tim

W4ATL

Quote from: Charger RT on July 01, 2012, 06:43:21 PM
I would love to see a picture of the volt meter.
Tim

Here are pics of the dash.

Charger RT

thanks. I love the volt meter. Not to fond of the tach. Do you have more info on redline?
Tim

W4ATL

Quote from: Charger RT on July 02, 2012, 08:34:53 PM
thanks. I love the volt meter. Not to fond of the tach. Do you have more info on redline?
Tim

http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/about.asp

Charger RT