News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fast & Loud?

Started by bill440rt, June 15, 2012, 07:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch ®

Quote from: Lennard on October 02, 2012, 09:22:26 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 02, 2012, 08:55:58 PM
I did see the fast and loud where he lost 20k at auction on 2 cars.  :smilielol:
He lost a little over 14K on a Caddy convertible and a Fourties Chevy that episode.
I like the show, the owner of gas monkey garage is a fast and smooth talker with a lot of funny remarks.

I dig the show too. It's probably scripted/manufactured in some parts, but they do show some of the work being done on the cars. I also like that, unlike most shows of that ilk, more often than not:

a) they don't try to do a full on resto in a week, and the stuff they do is more akin to what some of us non-OEM #'s matching resto guys would like to do to our cars - make sure the motor's good, refresh the interior, and maybe a new coat of paint.

b) if they DO something approximating a resto, they do keep track of how much time and money they are spending, etc (so your annoying next door neighbor kid doesn't ask you "hey..they built a car on TV in a week...how come yours has been sitting for so long?".) You also never see -unless I missed it - the part where they need an engine and all of a sudden "_____ racing was kind enough to send us this 600HP big block that we needed".

The one thing I find suspect is how quickly the old asian upholstery lady churns out interiors. Or maybe shes just that good. It was also refreshing to see a show where they spend a ton $ fixing the car, do some pretty nice work to them, and still get hosed when they try to sell it, instead of the last minute miracle bidding war that usually ensues in those shows.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

I liked the show that had Barry White on it.  It was about the same thing.  It had more of the cars in it though.

Ponch ®

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 12:21:43 PM
I liked the show that had Barry White on it.  It was about the same thing.  It had more of the cars in it though.

yeah, but at least from what I saw on that show, it was hackery. They'd take a rustbucket, slap a coat of paint on it, clean the underside with a waterhose, and then try to get $60K for it. At least in F&L they acknowledge that they're just freshening up the cars for a quick flip.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

JB400

Wasn't much different than what Foose is doing on Overhaulin.  Only diff is Foose doesn't flip them.  He just fixes them for a good call.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

RallyeMike

I would never buy a car from these guys. Did you see the episode where they sold the 64 Impala for $40k plus? The frame was "restored" with a can of spray paint.   :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

nvrbdn

they are all staged to an extent. but i enjoy watching them.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

aussiemuscle

Quote from: NHCharger on June 17, 2012, 07:03:59 AM
Another manufactured drama show.
Is it any better than Graveyard Cars. gee those guys  :brickwall: me.

JB400

They aren't made to appeal to one group of people.  Car guys watch for the cars.  They put the drama in it for the other people.  That's why American Chopper is so popular.  I watch it for the bikes, but there is way too much drama in it.

hawkeye

graveyard carz could be a great show if they would turn down all the drama.  mark worman is a mopar savant.  i don't give a wit about his personal problems or his interpersonal relationships.  and he can leave his family out of it too unless he has a hot wife or girl friend that dresses inappropriately like the new wife on american restoration.  i have a feeling there was more things restored around there than just the stuff in the shop.

moparstuart

Quote from: hawkeye on October 04, 2012, 04:33:31 PM
graveyard carz could be a great show if they would turn down all the drama.  mark worman is a mopar savant.  i don't give a wit about his personal problems or his interpersonal relationships.  and he can leave his family out of it too unless he has a hot wife or girl friend that dresses inappropriately like the new wife on american restoration.  i have a feeling there was more things restored around there than just the stuff in the shop.
:2thumbs: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  Mark did post on Face book a few weeks ago that the show has be renewed on velocity and we should know soon when the 2nd season will air . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

triple_green

I have watched both F&L and CC. The word "reality" does not fit either of these shows.

Richard in F&L is a total "doufus" and from what they show on the segments, there is no way he could be making money.

I like Danny on CC, he doesn't come off as such a "low life", even though he looks like he just got out of prison (dew rag and tats). IMO he pays way too much for the projects he buys, and sells them for way more than you could get (where I live at least). Again not "reality". While I enjoy the show it is totally contrived and unrealistic.

In both of these shows the bottom line, money-wise, rarely adds up.

But they are for fun, and not "reality".

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

surmanajaja

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 03, 2012, 02:31:37 PM
I would never buy a car from these guys. Did you see the episode where they sold the 64 Impala for $40k plus? The frame was "restored" with a can of spray paint.   :lol:

hey they sold it to the "master mechanic"´s father, if I remember right? so its obvious that he probably didnt REALLY pay 40k for it.

I like the show, nice different cars, and they actually do work on them. funny how they always take the cadillacs to a different guy, even though just for easy fixes like brake work and fuel lines..
also liked when they flipped the 32 or so ford roadster to Finland, should ask around if anyone confesses buying it here and if the price was the same as in the show..sometimes their car prices are way off to me, for example that 55 chevy hardtop for 12-14k was really cheap, here they go for a whole lot more.

rt green

what kind of network money do you think these guys on these shows  are getting?
third string oil changer

NHCharger

I caught my wife watching Counting Cars the other day. It beats having her watch the HSN.
I read somewhere that the owner of Gas Monkey Garage is paid 160k per episode. If that's true I guess he can afford to lose his shirt at some of those auctions.
The episode I watched the other day it showed him getting a visit from his buddy. They hold the record for the CannonBall Run from NY to CA. 31 hours.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel