News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger stalls/cuts out when hot

Started by 68chargerdave, June 16, 2012, 08:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerdave

My 68 Charger 440 has an intermitent problem.Starts up cold.Runs varying amounts of time,then stalls.Its getting gas.Ititially would start after a period of time.Changed the electronic ignition.Thought I had it solved.Then it happened again.This time it would NOT start after sitting awhile.I had it towed home.Would not start after sitting a day.Then I replaced the old coil with a new coil.Hit the key and it fired right up.Took it to a cruise with no problems.Then today I got 3 miles from home and it cut out on me again.Started after a cool down but only ran for a minute before cutting out again.I had her towed home again.After a cooling period,it ran long enough to get halfway into the garage and cut out.My neighbors helped me push it all the way in.Any ideas on whats causing this? Thanks in advance!

Musicman

Could be the Pickup Coil in the dizzy may be crapping out. :shruggy: It's one of many possibilities really, but one that is often overlooked.
Could be a short somewhere as well... Wire resting near a heat source... wire gets hot, insulation is burnt off, wire bends with heat and shorts out on something.
It could be something much simpler too, just posting some of the long shots here.

68chargerdave

I'm not familiar with a pick up coil.Where is that located and would heat affect it? Thanks for the quick reply BTW...

Musicman

The 2 wires from the dizzy are connected to it... open the dizzy and you will see it. It is essentially a coil of very fine wire wrappped around a core as the name implies (encased of course). Yes, if part of a winding is going bad it can heat up, bend and short out just like any other wire. Sometimes with older units it's just a case of heat and resistance. In either case the result is the same... the signal from the dizzy is lost, and the engine dies without a whisper, just like someone turned off the key.
Many times it will restart after a good cool down, once the offending unit has cooled and returned to its normal condition, but not always to be sure...

68chargerdave

Forgive my ignorance but what is a Dizzy? :shruggy:

charger Downunder

Quote from: 68chargerdave on June 16, 2012, 09:44:05 PM
Forgive my ignorance but what is a Dizzy? :shruggy:
Its the distributor (Dizzy) or the big round cap that the coil wire and spark plug leads run too. Take the cap off pull the rotor off and you should see the pick up. I agree pick up going bad.
[/quote]

Cooter

Stock Chrysler Electronic Ignition? If so, dump that problematic crap and get something like MSD or the like. Otherwise, you'll be putting ignition boxes on that thing from now on...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

I doubt it's a "Stock Chrysler Electronic Ignition" since it's in a 68.  I never have problems with my ECU.  :nana:

Chryco Psycho

is the choke coming off fully also .
what ign system do you have points , Mopar electronic , if so check the gap between the pick up & reluctor , I don't recall ever having an ECU fail either ! although I have seen numerous MSDs crap out & given that a new MSD is $500 & an ECU is $80 I think I will stick with the ECU

68chargerdave

The electronic box is orange with a green area where the plug goes in,part #P4120505.The coil is a MSD Blaster 2.  ;)I appreciate all of your input guys!

Musicman

ECU's tend to crap out rather rudely during operation, but they too can simply die... I wouldn't expect a restart though, but you never know.  :shruggy:

W4ATL

I had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing the coil. When the coil got hot my motor would have a hard time running. Cold starting and running no problem. Cheap and easy thing to try.

ACUDANUT

W4ATL

68chargerdave

I've also been told the voltage regulator might be the culprit.I'll start eliminating the parts first,then look at the wiring.Thanks again!

Cooter

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 17, 2012, 09:05:32 AM
I doubt it's a "Stock Chrysler Electronic Ignition" since it's in a 68.  I never have problems with my ECU.  :nana:
Sorry, I musta read his original post.....

"My 68 Charger 440 has an intermitent problem.Starts up cold.Runs varying amounts of time,then stalls.Its getting gas.Ititially would start after a period of time. Changed the electronic ignition."
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"