News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbirds converted back to Road runners when new.

Started by GOTWING, June 19, 2012, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

With Chrysler anything was possible.Would you believe this car existed without proof
Story is from a 1970 paper The car which has been displayed at Dodge Dealers around the country has never been titled.Cost $10.000 to build it

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 05, 2012, 12:10:49 PM
With Chrysler anything was possible.Would you believe this car existed without proof
Story is from a 1970 paper The car which has been displayed at Dodge Dealers around the country has never been titled.Cost $10.000 to build it

No idea what this has to do with the topic(s) at hand, but perhaps it was never sold because no one put 500 miles on it  :lol:

nascarxx29

What dealers and Chrysler concocted.Were cars like these anythig was possible and this one has proof

And lot converted cars if evidence exists. No proof yet otherwise .Just myths  :Twocents:

GOTWING

Man this topic i started sure did  :stirthepot: Sooooo, back to Superbirds that had their feathers plucked by the dealers.... :popcrn:

pettybird

Also applies to stories you hear at car shows.

pettybird

Quote from: GOTWING on July 05, 2012, 01:00:57 PM
Man this topic i started sure did  :stirthepot: Sooooo, back to Superbirds that had their feathers plucked by the dealers.... :popcrn:

It happened a couple times, but by federal decree each converted car had a piece of moon rock sealed into the torsion bar crossmember.  You wouldn't doubt a NASA retiree if he told you that, right?

70Sbird

OK, I'll try and get this back on topic.
A friend of mine's family had a CP dealer in Canton Il (small town). They sold two Superbirds from their location.
The first was a limelight sixpack car that my friend actually used to go to his JR Prom with the dealer tags still on it!

The second car is a little more interesting and relevant to this thread. It was  B5 blue 440 bbl car that their Chrysler zone rep had as as a company car. As the weather changed to summer and he was wanting a car with A/C, they took the car as a demo or "program car" and it sat on their lot for a few more months. The eventual buyer was an older gentleman that didn't like the way the wing towered over the rear of the car so he stipulated in the purchase agreement that the wing had to come off. they removed the wing, filled the mounting holes and repainted the tops of the quarters. They simply tossed the three wing pieces into the trunk when they were done.
He always chuckled whenever he saw that car driving around and said it looked like a big "needle" running down the road!
:Twocents:

Scott Faulkner

ECS

Quote from: pettybird on July 05, 2012, 12:28:39 PM
.....took a position that can't be defended........I don't have to prove to you that I'm right....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyone involved in a debate should be responsible to "prove" whatever point they express.  How it starts is totally irrelevant!  I was able to speak on the phone today with Bernard Klein who was also a Zone Manager for Chrysler during the same era.  He too confirmed the T/A & AAR "story" about having to drive them before they were sold.  (He is mentioned in the video link below)  Four DOM's for Chrysler - Ralph Wiedner, Tom Barcroft, Dave Stuart and Bernard Klein ALL stating the same erroneous information.  Quite honestly Doug, you seem to be the type of guy who would argue with Barry Bonds about how to hit home runs!  

Since many of you couldn't join the discussion today, I thought I would bring the discussion to everyone! :2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwd4aZ19H_c

TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

DAY CLONA

Since many of you couldn't join the discussion today, I thought I would bring the discussion to everyone! :2thumbs:

That was great Dave!, very gracious of you and Ralph to share your discussion.....Maybe someday you can ask Ralph if he has any knowledge of the 71 T/A "myth" that has reared it's head over the decades...

Mike

ECS

Quote from: DAY CLONA on July 05, 2012, 07:29:24 PM

That was great Dave!, very gracious of you and Ralph to share your discussion.....Maybe someday you can ask Ralph if he has any knowledge of the 71 T/A "myth" that has reared it's head over the decades...

Mike

My pleasure Mike!!  It was amusing to get back from lunch to see the mocking that was taking place on this thread while we were out.  Ralph is a GREAT guy and has a wealth of information.  That video didn't scratch the surface of what he talked about today.  I will ask about the 71 T/A and see if he has any recollection surrounding the "myth".  Until then, I am looking forward to the video interview of a retired NASA agent discussing moon rocks that were sealed in torsion bars cross members!  :hah: :2thumbs:

nascarxx29

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7278246&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD
RS23U1G
Spoken Like a Bull

Reged: Apr 20 2012
Loc: Detroit   Re: Superbird?? [Re: Cab_Burge]
     #7278533 - Thu Jul 05 2012 01:35 PM   Edit     Reply     Quote     Quick Reply    

That's a fact...

Had a warehouse here, downtown...

Full of wing car 'returns' from the dealerships...

They were pulling the wings, and the nose pieces off and putting stock grilles, and bumpers back on to try and move 'em...

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 06, 2012, 09:36:54 AM

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=7278246&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD
RS23U1G
Spoken Like a Bull

Reged: Apr 20 2012
Loc: Detroit   Re: Superbird?? [Re: Cab_Burge]
     #7278533 - Thu Jul 05 2012 01:35 PM   Edit     Reply     Quote     Quick Reply    

That's a fact...

Had a warehouse here, downtown...

Full of wing car 'returns' from the dealerships...

They were pulling the wings, and the nose pieces off and putting stock grilles, and bumpers back on to try and move 'em...

Internal memos (like the ones in "Supercars") show that Chrysler was telling dealers to sell cars...who was doing the conversion?   Who ran this "warehouse?"  This is exactly the kind of drivel that keeps circulating to perpetuate the myth that so many cars were converted.  Ken Brown in Detroit was bringing them in on dealer trades to sell them. 

Once cars are pushed onto dealers, they're not Chrysler's cars any more.  What other cars were bought back due to slow sales other than the ZL1 Camaros from Fred Gibb?  I can't imagine many.

GOTWING

soooo , im thinking of removing my wing and front end and converting my Superbird into a regular road runner, :brickwall: less rear window and A pillars just to see if anyone at the shows notices it. They will tell there buddy SEE MAN i told you they did that back then, :smilielol:

moparstuart

Quote from: GOTWING on July 06, 2012, 12:49:32 PM
soooo , im thinking of removing my wing and front end and converting my Superbird into a regular road runner, :brickwall: less rear window and A pillars just to see if anyone at the shows notices it. They will tell there buddy SEE MAN i told you they did that back then, :smilielol:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:     :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  that would be really cool   :D
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

GOTWING

THE LOCAL SALVAGE YARD WOULD GIVE ME AT LEAST $65.00 IN SCRAP FOR THE "UGLY" PARTS! :smilielol:

moparstuart

Quote from: GOTWING on July 06, 2012, 01:02:44 PM
THE LOCAL SALVAGE YARD WOULD GIVE ME AT LEAST $65.00 IN SCRAP FOR THE "UGLY" PARTS! :smilielol:
I will triple there offer    :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

I will top Stu's offer by 10 dollars AND pay shipping plus give you a genuine piece of Petty memorabilia that has been signed.

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on July 06, 2012, 01:05:20 PM
I will top Stu's offer by 10 dollars AND pay shipping plus give you a genuine piece of Petty memorabilia that has been signed.
i have a 69 charger i'll trade you  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on July 06, 2012, 04:25:54 PM
Damn!  Can't top that so I'm out.
you have to top my offer by 10.00 now   :nana:   :icon_smile_big:

ECS

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: nascarxx29 on July 05, 2012, 12:10:49 PM

Not to re-derail the thread, but does anyone notice on this car how, at first glance, the nose looks like a regular '68, but it's over a foot farther forward and the hood sits back there?

Does this car still exist?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

TONY

here are some pics of the car coming out of the garage that it was stored in from late 1971 thru 2005 when it was sold

TONY

more

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053