News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heading Sunday to Infineon Raceway/Save Mart 350 - what to expect?

Started by Dans 68, June 21, 2012, 10:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

I fell into a few free tickets for Sunday's race, and want to know what to expect from you seasoned racing veterans as I have never been. I planning to bring a good shade hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, binoculars, HD video and camera, seat cushion (with a hard back) and a cooler full of drinks and goodies. I'm sitting in the turn 9G terrace (http://www.racesonoma.com/documents/seating_nsc__detailed_map12.jpg), row 19 so I'll get a good view of pretty much the whole course. I plan to get there early (to explore a bit) and stay late - I have heard that getting out of there is kind of like rush hour on the 405....

So, what am I forgetting/missing to make it a more enjoyable experience? Thanks.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

71ChallengeHer

nvrbdn

just make sure there is no glass in the cooler. :2thumbs: the seat with the back is a must.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

johnnycharger

You have a good list. I have been there several times for nascar and indy. It is a great track. Like you stated it takes a long time to get out of there. It as taken me 3 hours to get home in Napa before. Most important thing.... if you drink DO NOT DRIVE! It is one way in and one way out and i have seen the police at the bottleneck pointin car after car to the side for DUI checks.

Have fun!!!

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

71ChallengeHer

chargerboy69

Some tracks limit the size of the cooler you bring in.  Some will also not allow in hard plastic coolers, just the soft sided coolers.

Sunscreen

And do not be in a hurry to leave.  To be honest the last couple NASCAR races I attended, my guy was several laps down so we left 20 laps early.  It beats sitting in traffic for three hours.  Then again the stands this year have been a little on the empty side, you may be alright. Have fun.

Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Dans 68

Quote from: chargerboy69 on June 22, 2012, 01:15:32 PM
Some tracks limit the size of the cooler you bring in.  Some will also not allow in hard plastic coolers, just the soft sided coolers....

Yep, I have that covered. The limit at Infineon is 15" maximum dimension - my medium sized Igloo makes that with ease. Ice, plastic bottled drinks/water, sandwiches, chips, chocolates, nuts, seeds, whatever.... The only concern I have now is making sure I make that last port-a-potty visit just before the green flag drops.  ;)

Another question...I'm going to rent the scanner at the track, and I can't believe it is that difficult to work/figure out. Any suggestions about how to listen to the race? I understand you can monitor multiple channels (cars), so what is the best way to monitor the action? Pick only a couple of cars to listen to? Scan them all?

Dan

Ponch ®

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 22, 2012, 01:56:05 PM

Another question...I'm going to rent the scanner at the track, and I can't believe it is that difficult to work/figure out. Any suggestions about how to listen to the race? I understand you can monitor multiple channels (cars), so what is the best way to monitor the action? Pick only a couple of cars to listen to? Scan them all?

Dan

they'll give you a list with all the drivers' frequencies or they may already be programmed into the scanner. Best way is to pick a few cars, save them as presets, and then let the radio scan through those channels only. Thing is, if you set it to one driver, there will be long periods of nothing, and if you set it to too many, youll have a hard time keeping track of who's who. Also, make sure you tap into race control and the TV radio feeds.

BTW - if you're gonna rent one, see if they have any old used scanners for sale. I got mine that way - I went to the radio truck and was gonna lay down $50 to rent it, but they had one for sale for $75.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

chargerboy69

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 22, 2012, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: chargerboy69 on June 22, 2012, 01:15:32 PM
Some tracks limit the size of the cooler you bring in.  Some will also not allow in hard plastic coolers, just the soft sided coolers....

Yep, I have that covered. The limit at Infineon is 15" maximum dimension - my medium sized Igloo makes that with ease. Ice, plastic bottled drinks/water, sandwiches, chips, chocolates, nuts, seeds, whatever.... The only concern I have now is making sure I make that last port-a-potty visit just before the green flag drops.  ;)

Dan

The units we have rented all came with full instructions and the driver channels programmed in all ready.  They are very easy to use.  They let you listen in to as many drivers, or few as you want.  As many as I have rented, I could have purchased my own by now.

We will usually listen to them all, as many do not talk a lot. And when someone talks, it will bring up the car number on your unit There are usually a few different vendors which offer different equipment and prices.  Shop around as some require a large deposit.

I remember one year at the Brickyard Kasey Kahne was having all kinds of problems with his Dodge.  He was very entertaining to listen to all race long.  Man, does that kid have a mouth on him.  :icon_smile_big:
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford