News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator: 2 field wires...?

Started by Double Dutch, February 02, 2006, 06:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Dutch

In my 71 Charger garage manual I find an electrical wiring diagram for the alternator connection with battery, voltage regulator and so on. In this manual you see two field connectors on the alternator to which the green, and blue-with-white-stripe wires from the voltage regulator are connected.

Now I have this question: Does it matter to which field connector you connect these two wires? Or doesn't it matter to which field connector on the alternator you connect them? By the manual, one couldn't tell to which connector one has to connect which wire; the green or blue...
Does the Voltage regulator work in two/both ways or is it a 'one way only'?

Anyone a suggestion? ???

HDCharger

MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

Plumcrazy

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

clausoe

The connections on the regulator MUST be connected according to the diagram. This is because one post is for sensing the voltage and the other side is ground for the field, the "sensing" controls how much the field gets grounded. On the alternator I believe you can connect them as you wish.

Double Dutch

Allright! One more question: How do I check the voltage after/that-comes-from the regulator? Which wire is this, the blue with white tracer or the green and how/where do I place the meter? On the battery I found a voltage of 18 (due to the defect regulator) but after a half hour with running engine, airco, heater and lights on it lowered the Voltage of the battery down to 13,5 with (the new regulator and right connection of the wires). At least I know now that the voltage is no longer too high. Checking the voltage at the battery is however not the proper way to measure the output of the regulator, is it?  :rotz:

John_Kunkel

Measuring the voltage at the large battery terminal on the alternator is a good way to test the alternator output, measuring at the battery assures that the rest if the system is good.

The blue wire on the regulator is keyed battery voltage and goes to one field terminal, the green wire is a variable regulated ground that completes the circuit through the other field terminal.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.