News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.0 Charger

Started by SmashingPunkFan, July 18, 2012, 11:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 20, 2012, 08:57:19 AM
the biggest downside is you could never sell the car with a ford engine , Mopar guys would not touch it & ford guys would have no interest .
New Hemi swap is the way to go for sure

I dont believe I ever had the interest to sell it anyway. plus, its a basic 318 car... nothing special, if it were a RT, thatd be a crime. But its a shell, with ford parts.

Besides, these are just ideas. I have not heard the best things about mopar engines, and definately trannies.

I prefer ford engines, 302, 4.6, 351, 390, 429, Im still very interested in a alternative to mopars.
Just looking for some opinions
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

JB400

Being your car is a smallblock car, build a 360 with a stroker crank in it.  It'd have gobs of torque and can be a high revver.  Fords in Mopars, BIG BIG BIG BIG NO NO!!!!!  Save yourself the headache and the tons of trash talk.  What other members are saying here doesn't even compare to the amount of flack you would get.  I do understand where you are coming from though.  Yes, the 70 Fast Five Charger had a bowtie in it unfortunately.  But, that was just so they could get a cheaper blower sticking through the hood.  Engine swaps between makes are best for hot rods and rat rods.
If your really wanting a Ford, I'd think about building not only a Mustang, but Mavericks and Mercury Capris are cool too.  Just a thought.
One last thing,  my uncle is building a 78 Dodge truck on a grand national chassis. It's currently set up for sbc, but, we're trying to talk him into switching to a mopar.
Luckily, he hasn't got that far yet.

Ghoste

Alternative to Mopars?  Sell the Charger and just drive the Fox Mustang, its lighter, its cheap and you will be happier overall.  I'm not being sarcastic either, I really don't see any sense whatsoever about your plan. :shruggy:

Cooter

Owning a "Bastardized" vehicle that ISN'T A Rat Rod/Street rOd is alot like owning a General Lee...If your not prepared for the comments on how you "f*cked it up", your better off not doing it.

PS: Ford 390?...Dumptruck motor with lead crank IMO. 428? Only reason it had a chance at all was the Mustang..
4.6? Not a bad engine persay, but the 3 valve which breaks off spark plugs was a major mistake.
302? Great little motor and only reason they are so loved in the Fox bodies is the simple fact you can pop one and have a replacement the next hour for $25.00.
351? Prefer the Windsor to the Cleavland and "M" engines. However, these have drawbacks. 3" mains is one of them.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 13, 2012, 04:32:27 AM
Being your car is a smallblock car, build a 360 with a stroker crank in it.  It'd have gobs of torque and can be a high revver.

It was a 318 SE. it had a 440 in it, and it fit my k frame, maybe someone changed that at some point
Projects:

Ghoste

The K frame is the same for the big and smallblock in your car.  The engine mounts are different but they are the part that bolts between block and K member.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 10:22:46 AM
The K frame is the same for the big and smallblock in your car.  The engine mounts are different but they are the part that bolts between block and K member.

Yea, that I knew. But whats different about them? Where theyre welded?
Projects:

GOTWING

THIS THREAD MUST BE STOPPED !!  :RantExplode:

JB400

Quote from: GOTWING on September 14, 2012, 05:27:25 AM
THIS THREAD MUST BE STOPPED !!  :RantExplode:
What got up your exhaust pipe? :icon_smile_question:

Ghoste

No difference in them at all.  To change between the big block and the small block, the only difference is the bolt in part that goes BETWEEN the mount cast into the side of the engine block and the mount that is welded to the K frame.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 14, 2012, 05:29:21 AM
Quote from: GOTWING on September 14, 2012, 05:27:25 AM
THIS THREAD MUST BE STOPPED !!  :RantExplode:
What got up your exhaust pipe? :icon_smile_question:

Really, I agree. Whats wrong with having a open discussion? isnt that what forums are for?

Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ghoste on September 13, 2012, 05:35:31 AM
Alternative to Mopars?  Sell the Charger and just drive the Fox Mustang, its lighter, its cheap and you will be happier overall.  I'm not being sarcastic either, I really don't see any sense whatsoever about your plan. :shruggy:

I have a fox body, its my gas sipper, its a 2.3 4 cyl.

And my plan is: Ford power (agrees with my driving, and proven reliable)
Fuel injection,
and 5 speed tranny. hell of a lot cheaper (not on quality) than mopar 4 speeds.

I love the 1970 Charger body, Its my favorite shell, car, etc...
Not so much the engines.
STILL, just ideas...
Projects:

Ghoste

Sorry, I accept that its your opinion but I still don't get it.  The Charger body is great but its the drivetrain that makes Mopars as a whole great.  If you trying to fit the Chrysler engine ino the Ford body I would totally understand it but I just cannot wrap my mind around hating the Mopar engines.  I'm not naive, I know plenty do hate them.  I just don't get it is all.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ghoste on September 14, 2012, 09:47:44 AM
Sorry, I accept that its your opinion but I still don't get it.  The Charger body is great but its the drivetrain that makes Mopars as a whole great.  If you trying to fit the Chrysler engine ino the Ford body I would totally understand it but I just cannot wrap my mind around hating the Mopar engines.  I'm not naive, I know plenty do hate them.  I just don't get it is all.

I dont hate them at all! I just dont trust the quality either. I have owned fords for years, from mustangs, to half ton trucks, the quality (in my opinion) is the best.
People build crazy machines everyday with other makes, parts, etc... it would be a completely restored '70 charger shell, and mustang drive train. Would it be that bizarre?
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

And I mean no disrespect to anyone, no offense. I respect everyones opinion
Projects:

JB400

:Twocents: I respect your opinion on Ford drivetrains.  And yes, they can be reliable as can any engine that is well taken care of.  I also agree with you that the 2nd gen Charger is a great looking bodystyle. I have a 69.  It's just that we the people on a mopar forum are having a hard time understanding your thinking of putting a Ford engine in a Mopar.  As a car enthusiast in general,  I strongly believe the Ford camp would probably think the same way.  There will be those that praise you for it though.  With that said, I think you are sailing off the map, but hey, they told Columbus the same thing.  So I propose a compromise. How about giving the 318 a chance. Get the car running, drive it, enjoy it, and have fun.  Just be honest with yourself and don't purposely blow the engine up.  Drive it 3-4 months.  If you still feel like you absolutely, positively, want to put a 5.0 in it, go right ahead.   And then drive it 3-4 months.  See what you enjoy the most.  Don't judge it on power though.  You're basing your reasoning on reliability.  If you want to base it on power, drop in a 360. It'll bolt up no problem.  Please note though:  unlike chevy and ford engines,  mopar engines can handle 500hp easy on stock components.  As someone that is around racing engines quite a bit,  Chevrolet and Ford engines are only good till 400-425 horsepower until you should start replacing factory components with aftermarket stuff.
Consider your choices wisely, but most importantly, HAVE FUN.

Cooter

I guess I got the best of both worlds then as I got a '69 Charger with a 440 and a Mustang GT T-5 trans.
I haven't seen a 302 Chevy OR Ford that could hold a candle to the reliability of a /6 Chrysler, or 318...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69bronzeT5

I own 2 5.0 Mustangs.....can't say I've ever thought about putting a 5.0 in my Charger  :shruggy:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

JB400

Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2012, 11:21:44 AM
I haven't seen a 302 Chevy OR Ford that could hold a candle to the reliability of a /6 Chrysler, or 318...
I agree with you there, but if he's cut his teeth on fords, at least he's wanting to put another charger on the road.   I am going to back my earlier comment though.  Give the 318 a try. Base your decision on reliability.  I'm still cringing on putting a toyota 4 banger in a 1st gen Mustang like they did in Tokyo Drift.

charger_fan_4ever

I have a 5L notchback with aluminum heads/aftermarket intake cam yadad yada. @ owner car with mostly original paint stole it for $5k. Actually more rare than my 70 charger r/t. 585 91 coupes built in dark emerald green.

Cheap,fast, nice cruiser with 5 speed overdrive. Lays 150 feet of rubber doin a 2nd gear burnout. They are kool cars, BUT not as kool as the old muscle cars. I've been to late model mustang shows and its just not the same as the old stuff
:)/

Makes cruising nice with overdrive and air conditioning.

Even with all the moddifcations the 5L does not have the TORQUE of a stock 375hp 440. Last mustang i dynoed similar set up made around 340 ft lbs to the tire.

Oh and the 5L mustang is one tough little car/motor. I used to got o the track with the slicks in another car change the tires run 10 or so passes. IE 5-6000 rpm and side step the clutch and powershift every gear with 100 morw rear wheel hp than stock and knock on wood never broke anything. After 2- 3 summers of this i lost 5lbs or compression across the board, which may have just been a fluck reading anyway. Tough as nails those 5L's up to the 500FWHP area then the block is the weak link and will split.

That bein said just pick up a mustang and leave the charger ALL dodge :)

JB400

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on September 14, 2012, 01:49:56 PM
I have a 5L notchback with aluminum heads/aftermarket intake cam yadad yada. @ owner car with mostly original pain stole it for $5k. Actually more rare than my 70 charger r/t. 585 91 coupes built in dark emerald green.

Cheap,fast, nice cruiser with 5 speed overdrive. Lays 150 feet of rubber doin a 2nd gear burnout. They are kool cars, BUT not as kool as the old muscle cars. I've been to late model mustang shows and its just not the same as the old stuff
:)/

Makes cruising nice with overdrive and air conditioning.

Even with all the moddifcations the 5L does not have the TORQUE of a stock 375hp 440. Last mustang i dynoed similar set up made around 340 ft lbs to the tire.

Oh and the 5L mustang is one tough little car/motor. I used to got o the track with the slicks in another car change the tires run 10 or so passes. IE 5-6000 rpm and side step the clutch and powershift every gear and knock on wood never broke anything. After 2- 3 summers of this i lost 5lbs or compression across the board, which may have just been a fluck reading anyway. Tough as nails those 5L's up to the 500FWHP area then the block is the weak link and will split.

That bein said just pick up a mustang and leave the charger ALL dodge :)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :drive:

Brass

Dude, it seems what you know about Mopar drivetrains is only from what you've heard.  In which case, your preference for Ford engines and transmissions seems to be predicated on hearsay, i.e., bullshit.  For what it's worth, my dad had a 390 and it was an insufferable turd.  Even the little 318 Plymouth he had was preferred for towing duty, and it pulled way, way better and turned over 100K without any problems.  Challenge your own supposition.

Ghoste

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Brass on September 14, 2012, 02:31:58 PM
Dude, it seems what you know about Mopar drivetrains is only from what you've heard.  In which case, your preference for Ford engines and transmissions seems to be predicated on hearsay, i.e., bullshit.  For what it's worth, my dad had a 390 and it was an insufferable turd.  Even the little 318 Plymouth he had was preferred for towing duty, and it pulled way, way better and turned over 100K without any problems.  Challenge your own supposition.

One of our fords is currently at 298xxx miles... and still going strong. Like I said, ford has proven its reliability to me.
I cant argue with that.
Projects:

JB400

Now I see said the blind man.  It's nice to see that you got over a quarter million miles on an engine with no major rebuild.  But, here's the deal, the mileage on just that particular engine does not mean that is the best choice of engine to go with.  It just means that you take real good care of an automobile.  It's nice to see a charger go to that good of home.  I believe everyone will agree with me as well. 
The mileage on your one engine is nothing special though.  I currently own an 89 Ram with just as many miles.  I don't know exactly what the mileage is, speedo quit a long time ago, and the truck has been a daily driver for me over 15 years.  I also drive cars to car auctions, and so I see higher mileage cars all the time.  I personally, SCOUT"S HONOR, have driven a 01 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup with over 526,000 miles. It had the 6.0 engine in it and still run just as good as a lower mileage truck.  But, I'm not going to put a 6.0 Chevy in my charger.  Personally, I call that mutiny.
Now that you brought up the mileage thing, there are going to be a lot more people saying this car or that truck has got a zillion miles on them.  Basically, you just opened up a new can of worms.  But lets get one thing straight, anything you take care of and perform regular maintenance on, is going to last you a long time.  And yes, it's something to be proud of.  I'm going to back my earlier statement; give Mother Mopar a chance.  It will save you a big headache of trying to adapt Mopar and Ford stuff together.  One last thing, Mother knows best.  Just ask your dad. :2thumbs: