News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

5.0 Charger

Started by SmashingPunkFan, July 18, 2012, 11:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Did you know the new mustang auto trannys have plastic parts in them!  I'll ask my friend again what parts exactly.

Keep in mind I'm actually thinking of converting to a mustang.  Convertible.  The new V8's run on regular fuel, not super.

Having said all that what your talking about doing, I don't know if I should curse you out or encourage you to do it just to see what it would cost and the headache it would give you.  Or possibly you will start a new fad?????

What is it about the chrysler engine?  Is it the actual iron and steel parts?  Or is it the electrical system etc?  

A lot of people around here prefer chevys just because the are familiar with them.  From hours of working on the whores.

Cooter

Hell, I had a Subaru with over 600K miles on it, but I wouldn't swap in that engine in to aCharger either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brass

Go ahead and have fun with Fords.  I have two friends with Mustangs and I truly like their cars... but believe me, the Charger is a whole other animal.  So where your Charger is concerned, embrace your own signature (More Outstanding Power And Reliability), keep it Dodge inside and out, and don't look back.   :Twocents:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Brass on September 14, 2012, 05:28:22 PM
Go ahead and have fun with Fords.  I have two friends with Mustangs and I truly like their cars... but believe me, the Charger is a whole other animal.  So where your Charger is concerned, embrace your own signature (More Outstanding Power And Reliability), keep it Dodge inside and out, and don't look back.   :Twocents:

I would love to keep that as my signature ( I completely forgot about that! lol), but thats back when I didnt know what Ive learned now. Now, heres some of the recent Ive heard: 383s spin out main bearings, 440s crack (heads, blocks, expansion plugs area, 426... Need I say more? $$$,  318 and 360s have similar problems. just things Ive heard, not sure if its true, and no matter the make, any engine could fail numerous amount of ways.

I might try a mopar for awhile, Ive got my body work lined up for this winter, so its gonna be awhile. But if I feel like its not working, is ford that bad? is it not just a engine?

BTW, that one vehicle I mentioned is a 2001 minivan, its not alone, my '88 4 cyl mustang has 250xxx and its still kickin

Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2012, 05:27:16 PM
Hell, I had a Subaru with over 600K miles on it, but I wouldn't swap in that engine in to aCharger either.

But with gas what it is today, doesnt fuel injection not sound tempting? not to say that suburu engine would be the best choice, what would you guy
Suggest?
Projects:

JB400

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 14, 2012, 10:45:03 PM

But with gas what it is today, doesnt fuel injection not sound tempting? not to say that suburu engine would be the best choice, what would you guy
Suggest?
If you want fuel injection, there are several aftermarket kits available offered by the major carb manufacturers starting around 2 g's.
If you want it cheaper, get a Dakota or a Ram with the 5.2 or 5.9 and convert it over.  It'd be almost a direct bolt in.  Enough with the nonsense of putting an off-breed engine in your charger.  Every engine is a ticking time bomb.  Regular maintenance prevents it.  It really depends on how well your engine guy can build your engine and the parts you put in it.  Class is in session, do your homework.

Cooter

Suggest?

You just drank the coolaid too soon as far as reliability goes. ALL automobiles have their problems. Ford, Chevy, And Chrysler. If your looking for an engine that never breaks, then you better sell off everything.
Now, as far as Fuel Injection goes, I've got friends with modded engines with Fuel Injection and they get the same or WORSE Fuel Mileage than my carb'd engines. Just because it's Fuel injected doesn't mean it's automatically gonna get 25-30 MPG. All it means is it will start up and run when cold, and drivability is more enjoyable.

BTW: There were Fuel injected Mopars as well. 318-360, and numerous aftermarket kits for the BB as well.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Chargen69

5.0??  not enough cubic inches.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 14, 2012, 05:17:30 PM
Did you know the new mustang auto trannys have plastic parts in them!  I'll ask my friend again what parts exactly.

Im sorry, but I cant help be a little sarcastic here

Chrysler would never do that!

All cars of today have plastic in them, including ford, that doesnt make, or break a company
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Chargen69 on September 15, 2012, 08:10:05 AM
5.0??  not enough cubic inches.

Awesome, someones actually answering my question rather than insult me.

Ok, what makes you feel that way? is a charger beyond the strength of that engine? in your opinion?
Projects:

Bobs69

That would be the equivalent of a 318 car would it not?  A 318 translates to 5.3 litres I think.

My dad had a 1976 Plymouth fury 2 door with that motor in it, just a 2 barrel.  I remember thinking that bastard would get up and dance.  50mph to 100mph was nothing.  The speedometer ran out at a 100mph but dad figured it was good for close to 130, judging by the distance the needle traveled past the max.

NS 68 R/T

Suggest?

Cummins

Bobs69

I say put the 5.0 in it and be done with it.  I'm willing no one else has done it.  More available parts from local stores, better electrical and you could  even have A/C.  And fuel injection.  The 318 was enough to make my dads Plymouth get up and dance, the 302/5.0 should make it work.  I think it would look awful under the hood artistically speaking but you are looking function and have the motor available.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 15, 2012, 09:34:28 PM
I say put the 5.0 in it and be done with it.  I'm willing no one else has done it.  More available parts from local stores, better electrical and you could  even have A/C.  And fuel injection.  The 318 was enough to make my dads Plymouth get up and dance, the 302/5.0 should make it work.  I think it would look awful under the hood artistically speaking but you are looking function and have the motor available.

I appreciate your honest opinion, I really do.
I felt like it was close enough to any SB dodge, plymouth, chrysler, plus like you said: ac, fuel injection, very available parts.

If it wont work, then it wont. Ill try something different.
:)
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: NS 68 R/T on September 15, 2012, 09:03:51 PM

Suggest?

Cummins

I thought about that! lol would be very different!
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Cooter on September 15, 2012, 06:47:37 AM

Suggest?

You just drank the coolaid too soon as far as reliability goes.

You spelled Koolaid wrong. Lol
Projects:

Ghoste

Perhaps, but his argument is sound.  I don't know who has been giving you that information about 383's spinning bearing and 440's cracking everything but my guess is that you have a lot of friends already into Fords.  Hang out a Chevy show and you'll hear the same things about Fords, hang out at a Mopar show and you'll hear the same things about Chevy's.  The import crowd thinks all American engines are comeplete junk and the exotic sports car fans think the ricers do nothing but repair their broken and failed drivetrains.
The big block Chrysler in 383 or 440 form is one of the soundest and most reliable powerplants you can use.

JB400

Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 15, 2012, 09:49:53 PM
I say put the 5.0 in it and be done with it.  I'm willing no one else has done it.  More available parts from local stores, better electrical and you could  even have A/C.  And fuel injection.  The 318 was enough to make my dads Plymouth get up and dance, the 302/5.0 should make it work.  I think it would look awful under the hood artistically speaking but you are looking function and have the motor available.

I felt like it was close enough to any SB dodge, plymouth, chrysler, plus like you said: ac, fuel injection, very available parts.

Has anyone mentioned this vehicle to you:  D    A   K   O  T   A   !!!!!!~!   The V8 versions have an engine that WILL  bolt right in.   No modifications.  Swap motor mounts off your 318 and everything else bolts up and you won't need a bottle of advil and three kegs of beer.  Wait a minute, buy the beer and a few pizzas and you won't have to lift a finger, your buddies will do it for you.  They'll need the advil the next day :2thumbs:.  Read Tom Sawyer for the technique.  The Dakota has a/c and fuel injection, and I'm sure you can pick up a truck dirt cheap.  Everyone here is just trying to save you a lot of headaches.  You'll thank us later.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 15, 2012, 10:51:19 PM
Quote from: SmashingPunkFan on September 15, 2012, 09:49:53 PM
I say put the 5.0 in it and be done with it.  I'm willing no one else has done it.  More available parts from local stores, better electrical and you could  even have A/C.  And fuel injection.  The 318 was enough to make my dads Plymouth get up and dance, the 302/5.0 should make it work.  I think it would look awful under the hood artistically speaking but you are looking function and have the motor available.

Has anyone mentioned this vehicle to you:  D    A   K   O  T   A   !!!!!!~!   The V8 versions have an engine that WILL  bolt right in.   No modifications.  Swap motor mounts off your 318 and everything else bolts up and you won't need a bottle of advil and three kegs of beer.  Wait a minute, buy the beer and a few pizzas and you won't have to lift a finger, your buddies will do it for you.  They'll need the advil the next day :2thumbs:.  Read Tom Sawyer for the technique.  The Dakota has a/c and fuel injection, and I'm sure you can pick up a truck dirt cheap.  Everyone here is just trying to save you a lot of headaches.  You'll thank us later.

I know! thats why I asked here first. lol Out of curiosity, what "headaches" would we be talking bout here?
And his the next question on my mind, what kind of standard tranny  could match up to one of these Dakotas engines? because that was one of my reasons for the 5.0
Projects:

JB400

Your headache list:  

Ford: Making new motor mounts   Dakota: Take motor mounts off 318 and put on Dakota engine.  Favor: Dakota
                          Ford: making transmission mount   Dakota: no transmission mount change    Favor:  Dakota
                          Ford: Making custom  throttle linkage   Dakota: No change to Charger linkage   Favor: Dakota
                           Ford: Hassle of connecting to radiator   Dakota: No change   Favor: Dakota
                          Ford: Home made exhaust system         Dakota: No change    Favor: Dakota
                        Ford:  custom brackets for power steering.   Dakota: No change to Charger brackets.  Favor:  Dakota
                        Ford: making custom brackets for all accessories    Dakota:  Reuse all brackets for accessories for charger    Favor: Dakota
                        Ford: Making adapters for all  guages   Dakota: reuse Charger sending units   Favor: Dakota

Hopefully, this helps you understand what all is involved in such a change.   As far as transmissions, any mopar transmission will work as long as it's for a smallblock.
That includes  3 speed auto, 4 speed auto, 3 speed man, 4 speed man. 5 speed man, and aftermarket 6 speeds.  Does this paint you a picture now?

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: Ghoste on September 15, 2012, 10:38:42 PM
Perhaps, but his argument is sound.  I don't know who has been giving you that information about 383's spinning bearing and 440's cracking everything but my guess is that you have a lot of friends already into Fords.  Hang out a Chevy show and you'll hear the same things about Fords, hang out at a Mopar show and you'll hear the same things about Chevy's.  The import crowd thinks all American engines are comeplete junk and the exotic sports car fans think the ricers do nothing but repair their broken and failed drivetrains.
The big block Chrysler in 383 or 440 form is one of the soundest and most reliable powerplants you can use.

One I can say for starts was a kid from Oreillys. He LOVES mopar! totally dedicated to chrysler stuff. He was just sharing his current problems hes had working on his 70 charger.
And another was a 40+ year machine shop worker, who Favors chevys, he said fords where its at.

Just some of that
Projects:

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 15, 2012, 11:18:35 PM
Your headache list:  Ford: Making new motor mounts   Dakota: Take motor mounts off 318 and put on Dakota engine.  Favor: Dakota

I get that, but would that be most of it? Think itd be that hard?

Im replacing both front floor pans, so tranny stuff would be a breeze
Projects:

JB400

Sorry, I pushed a button before  I was done. Read my last one again. This time with the full list.  As far as your buddy, he might not have pinpointed all his problems with his car, and just replaced whats broke.

SmashingPunkFan

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 15, 2012, 11:35:50 PM
Sorry, I pushed a button before  I was done. Read my last one again. This time with the full list.  As far as your buddy, he might not have pinpointed all his problems with his car, and just replaced whats broke.

Yes, it helps. A lot, actually
Thank you for the insight
Projects:

JB400

I hope now you know what everyone is talking about.  You can put any engine in any vehicle, but it's just a heck of a lot easier to stick with what is actually made to go in there.  I hope you learned something.  Best of luck getting your car going, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!