News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Specialties vs. AMD?

Started by areibel, July 21, 2012, 09:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

areibel

After reading a couple of the horror stories aboutt eh AMD valence corners, I'm wondering if the ones from Charger Specialties are any better?  Or are they the same part?
Al

Ghoste

I don't know if they are the same part but I have yet to hear anything good about rear valence caps from anyone.

Brock Lee

Charger Specialties have been around a long time and were the only choice before AMD started making them. I can't comment on how they fit AMD panels, but they took a lot of reworking to make fit OEM. So much that I wouldn't be shocked to find out AMD used them as a template when they made theirs.

ODZKing

I have a friend with an E body who has ordered and I have my self from AMD.
He ordered several and most were ... OK but needed work to fit properly, I'm told.  The rear valance needed ALOT of work including rewelding the mounting brackets.
I have ordered floor pans, but the guy who did them on my 67 only used a portion of them ... quality was good and he seemed to have no issues.
I also ordered a front and rear valance for my 73 and that is another story.  The front is going to take some work to make fit properly and the rear hasn't been installed yet.
So I guess it is hit and miss just like any other repop stuff out there.  The one thing I WILL say for the metal, it is hefty, not thin. 
My  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Odzking, are you talking valences though or the end caps on 2nd gens?

areibel

I was just wondering about the end caps.  I have one that is pretty badly crunched, I think I can straighten the valence itself and I need a skin on the quarter side anyways for some rust along the bottom.  I'll probably use an AMD skin, but I was wondering if it made a difference on the end caps? 

Patronus

Quote from: Ghoste on July 21, 2012, 09:54:27 PM
I don't know if they are the same part but I have yet to hear anything good about rear valence caps from anyone.

Id have to agree. Every corner is different as is every car. Its a hard transition in steel, Im not all all surprised they need a bit of work.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

ODZKing

On mine - #2 front valance

Ghoste

Every corner is different on these cars perhaps, but from what I have been told about 2nd gen Charger rear valence end caps, the aftermarket hasn't just needed massagin of these parts, the parts aren't even close to being massageable in most cases.  They are far off.  And some must have fit correctly somewhere because they sure as hell didn't massage the originals on the assembly line when the different corners were created in the first place.

69hemi

i have used them both and they all problematic.  Depending on what all you are replacing will decide how much masaging they will need.  As far as matching up to different brand corners/quarters and rear valences being the same brand helps but this is far from a line 'em up and weld them in job.  Take a look on my website to see the mods to get a good fit.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

areibel

Thanks 69, That's what I was afraid of!
And a big THANK YOU for your site, a lot of it looks like what I'm going to be going through!

69hemi

Just keep in mind it is not hard if you take your time and get everything to fit before you weld it in.  Fitting will take longer than the actual welding and grinding and thanks for the kudos on the website.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram