News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Full quarters vs lower quarters

Started by smokinjo, May 18, 2012, 01:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinjo

Just wondering why you would chose one over the other ? other than cost. Is one more difficult to do or does it just depend on the amount of rust on the car ? I have a 69 with the usual lower quarter rust but the trunk floor is solid.

charger_fan_4ever

If you have just rust in the lower areas buy a AMD 1/2 skin and cut it up for patches. If its rotten over the wheel arch a full 1/4 would be a better option.

My 70 was gone infront/behind and over the wheel, the sail panel area and even on the top side close to the trunk gutter i had no option but full 1/4's. I thought there would be almost no finishing with the full 1/4's vs the half 1/4's as no big weld seam. Wrong!!
The stampings are wavy and full of imperfections. Will need a skim of filler full length anyway.

For $700 or more a side I'd think the stampings would be straighter. Not a question of metal thickness as the 1/4s are thicker than original.

But hey its something to work with as before the AMD stuff only option was to find a 40 year old rust free full 1/4 (ya right) or $3000 a side NOS if you could find one.

Charger440RDN

I always wondered about completely cutting off a nice quarter panel just because of rust down at the very bottom.
It doesn't seem to make sense to completely remove a whole quarter if it just has a little rust on it, just because they sell full quarters now.

Ryan

Quote from: Charger440RDN on June 17, 2012, 12:42:39 PM
I always wondered about completely cutting off a nice quarter panel just because of rust down at the very bottom.
It doesn't seem to make sense to completely remove a whole quarter if it just has a little rust on it, just because they sell full quarters now.

Agreed, if you can get away with using a set of AMD half quarters then I would do that. The most important thing in this case is doing a good job on the butt weld.

The full quarters are nice to have and in my case I needed them but wish I could have just used a half quarter.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

smokinjo

Thanks guys based on this pic I think I will go with the full quarter.

Ghoste

For a dark period of time, the lower quarter patch panel was about our only option unless you could find NOS or good used.  Could be one reason why they are still marketed?

Charger440RDN

Quote from: smokinjo on June 21, 2012, 02:43:40 PM

Nice Charger, what are your plans for it?

charger_fan_4ever

How is the top part by the trunk gutter and sail panel area ? Looks like the 1/2 quarter would fix all the rust visible in the pic. I was all for full 1/4's as i thought more panel area covered so less finish work vs 1/2 quarters that need putty full length. Well with full 1/4's on guess what they need putty full length because they are full of ripples out of the box due to the stamp.

$750 for a full vs ~250 for a AMD 1/2 quarter.

I had no option as even the top part up near the gas door had holes and was rotten near the trunk gutter and sail panels. I had no option, but doing it over if these areas were solid I'd probably only use the 1/2 quarters. :Twocents:

smokinjo

Charger440RDN I am going to make her into a Hemi Orange R/T Clone. charger_fan_4ever There is rust at the bottom of the rear window only but not sure how much yet as the chrome is still in place.

Scaregrabber

Full quarter and outer wheelhouse on that one.

Sheldon

hemi-hampton

Your going to need Trunk Extensions & maybe even some inner Rocker Fabrication. :scratchchin: :Twocents: LEON.

cdr

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on June 24, 2012, 01:35:34 PM

How is the top part by the trunk gutter and sail panel area ? Looks like the 1/2 quarter would fix all the rust visible in the pic. I was all for full 1/4's as i thought more panel area covered so less finish work vs 1/2 quarters that need putty full length. Well with full 1/4's on guess what they need putty full length because they are full of ripples out of the box due to the stamp.

$750 for a full vs ~250 for a AMD 1/2 quarter.

I had no option as even the top part up near the gas door had holes and was rotten near the trunk gutter and sail panels. I had no option, but doing it over if these areas were solid I'd probably only use the 1/2 quarters. :Twocents:
:yesnod: yes very wavy ,but i'm told amd is the best,sure would hate to see other brands if they are worse
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

b5blue

Pull the rear 1/4 window trim and rear glass trim off and check. The lip that holds the rear 1/4 window trim rots out under the trim as it was never painted on the inside. Rot in the inside of the sail panel section in the corner of the window is another "bad to fix" spot. (Ask me how I know!  :eek2: ) If those areas are bad you really have no option as bad as the lowers are.

69hemi

I have to agree with the full quarter scenario on this car.  the headaches of patching in the partials and still have to repair the window and sail area versus the plug welding of a full quarter offsets the cost difference.  The full quarter will be easier to bodywork and save you time there also.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram