News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starter base covers on 4 speed cars

Started by bull, July 23, 2012, 10:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Not sure where this goes since it's a little bit on the electrical side and a little bit on the engine side. Mods, please do with it as you will. :laugh:

What's the deal with starter cover plates? Did all cars get them? I bought a repro plate long ago for my 68 and it didn't fit the hole right, I believe because it was designed for an automatic (even though it was advertised as universal). I've got my starter out now since I'm working on the exhaust so now would be a good time to get one if needed. So my question is, do they make starter base cover plates for 4 speed cars? Is there a difference in the space left by the stock boat anchor starters and the new mini starters?

A383Wing

the mini starters require a different close-off plate...there is a guy on ebay that sells them, Steve in Cali bought one a few years back

Both my 4spd cars have the plate for the starter

Bryan

resq302

Bryan,

can you post a pic of the plate as I do not have one for my starter either.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

yup..that's the one for the mini starter

Bryan

bull

Good. Having been burned before, I sent him a question asking very specifically if this plate will work for my application. If so, I'll Buy it Now.

A383Wing

are you gonna run a mini-starter or stock one?

Bryan

bull

resq302

Quote from: A383Wing on July 23, 2012, 11:36:48 PM
are you gonna run a mini-starter or stock one?

Bryan

Im looking for a pic of the stock starter cover for a 4 speed car.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on July 23, 2012, 11:51:03 PM
Mini. Why?

I was just curious, I had thought about putting a mini on the Daytona....also, the stock starter plate will not work with the mini starter and vise-versa

Quote from: resq302 on July 24, 2012, 12:26:17 AM

Im looking for a pic of the stock starter cover for a 4 speed car.

it's basically the same as the mini one, but the large hole in the center is cut differently. Do a search on ebay for starter shim plate

Bryan