News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions on Superbird parts material, sheetmetal. M. S. 67 Steel.

Started by Arnie Cunningham, July 27, 2012, 11:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings All,

While looking through the "Plymouth Superbird Product Planning Technical Services Fleet Engineering" document, I noticed that many of the sheetmetal parts are made from "M.S. 67 Steel".  No big deal.  I was curious what this is so I do an internet search and it comes up under something called "Chrysler Cold Rolled Steel".  Does anyone know more about this?  I assume the number (67 or whatever) is some reference to thickness and alloy?  Why is "Chrysler" part of all this?

Thanks,
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

Arnie Cunningham

Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

oldcarnut

BODY CONSTRUCTION CHARACTERISTICS

A little more info.
Definitions of Steels used in the 300,300C, & Magnum:
MS 66 - Represents an uncoated Hot Rolled Steel Sheet used mainly for interior braces and reinforcements.

MS 67 - Represents an uncoated Cold Rolled Sheet structural steel used in areas where structural integrity is critical.EG., the type of steel used for the "A" pillar.

MS 264 - Represents an uncoated high strength low alloy (HSLA) steel used in applications where structural integrity iscritical.MS 6000-44A - Low carbon, hot dipped galvanneal (or EGA) with 45 g/m² minimun coating weight on both sides.- Most common Sheet Steel product used by Chrysler

MS 6000-44VA - 50 ksi min. yield strength, HSLA, killed steel, with 44 g/m² minimun coating weight on both sides.-- Most common high strength coated steel product used by Chrysler BODY CONSTRUCTION CHARACTERISTICSThe following measures have been implemented in order to provide maximum corrosion prevention and protection.1. The use of galvannealed coatings throughout the body structure.2. Ecoat is used on the complete body in all instances.3. Body sealing.4. Stone-chipping resistant primer application.5. Underbody corrosion prevention.Back To Index

Source--      http://www.scribd.com/doc/46439386/2005-Dodge-Magnum-Lx-Body-Repair-Manual

Arnie Cunningham

Interesting.
Are there Ford and Gm equivalents or are these standards defined by Chrysler and used industry wide?

FJMG

The above posters show the definition however i will just add that I believe M.S. Is short for material standard and on a side note there is also P.S. That is referenced in the engineering drawings which i was told is short for paint standard both of which are very large volumes containing standards of all the materials and paint processes used by Chrysler.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Arnie Cunningham

AH!
As long as we are talking obscure abbreviations...

There is "F - PF Fed"
S - PF Safety and
C - both.

What is the "PF" part in reference to?

These are also found on the Product planning sheets.