News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Clone......WIW

Started by Mojoluv, August 08, 2012, 08:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojoluv

A friend has a Superbird clone that he is thinking about selling. This car was made off of a clean Satellite body. All of the correct bird stuff is there with lots of new restoration parts. Window plug is in, wing is on with struts, needs paint and assembly but nice clean non-rusty body. This was a bucket seat console automatic car. No front seats. Has the ralley dash. Just looking for a ball park value on what these cars are bringing these days. Any help would be appreciated. I may be able to get some pics soon.

moparstuart

Not enough information , need pictures and also drive train info and how far alone it is . Also need to know what other parts will be needed to finish it

Sadly when they are not finished much harder to sell ,plus real birds are way down in price so clones are a very hard sell even done . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mojoluv

No engine or trans. Nose is glass, not sure about the wing. The nose and wing are on the car. The hood has been done. Correct front fenders with the fender extensions. Has the a-pillar chrome, rear glass and chrome. Only thing I know that is missing is the front seats. It would need door panels, headliner, seat covers. There are lots of new parts and all of the bird stuff is there. Complete headlight assemblies are there. Has the correct 15 inch rally wheels and BFG tires mounted on it. New brake lines, etc. Would the car be worth $15-20K like it sits?

DonC1

$15k tops if its a small block car...

Old Moparz

The need for paint & a drive train are the two biggest expenses you'll be facing if you assemble the car yourself. Some will argue that you can't get a good paint job for anything less than "X" amount, but that depends on the quality you can live with. It could be a Maaco job for a few hundred, or an over the top custom for thousands. If the body work is truly done & ready for paint, which is rare, then you might get away cheaper.

As for the drive train, you can go new & spend a fortune & still need a tons of parts, or find a used one for a core & have it rebuilt. Either way you'll still spend thousands. Don't forget that you will need every bracket, bolt, mount & fastener to install the drive train since they don't come with crate motors & after market transmissions. If you need to pay someone for body work, prep & paint, then have to purchase a drive train, I would guess that you will still need to pour at least another $10,000 to $12,000 into the car. (And I believe that number is a bit on the conservative side.)

There could be more into it by your friend, but I'd say the price is more like a $8K to $10K range.  :Twocents:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Mojoluv

Thanks very much for the input. My buddy that owns the car, owns a bodyshop also, so he is ahead of the game there I think. He said that he can get his hands on a good running 440 and trans for $1000. So, after what you guys have said, it sounds like he needs to at least get the car ready for paint and go ahead and paint the engine compartment. Grab that 440 and throw in there and get the car running. He told me that he has around $15K in the car at this point. I think he is just looking to cash out of it.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: Mojoluv on August 08, 2012, 08:50:46 PM
A friend has a Superbird clone that he is thinking about selling. This car was made off of a clean Satellite body. All of the correct bird stuff is there with lots of new restoration parts. Window plug is in, wing is on with struts, needs paint and assembly but nice clean non-rusty body. This was a bucket seat console automatic car. No front seats. Has the ralley dash. Just looking for a ball park value on what these cars are bringing these days. Any help would be appreciated. I may be able to get some pics soon.

I disagree with the fellow who said "not enough information" - I have plenty of information to put a value on the car.

First, you can't perfume a pig.   Anyway you cut it - you've got a Satellite with a bunch of parts that don't increase its value at all.     If he's put $15,000 of parts on it - they're worth about $4,000.

Second, its in terrible shape.   You've got to spend money to put it back together and there's no point in spending money when every dollar you spend will only give you 50 cents back.   

Third, clones are dead in the water. 

Final value.... $6,500 as is.

boss429kiwi

Mojoluv

I have sent you an email.

Regards

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

Ghoste

So are you looking to buy it from your friend or just trying to establish a value on his behalf?

Mojoluv

Quote from: Ghoste on August 22, 2012, 02:10:20 AM
So are you looking to buy it from your friend or just trying to establish a value on his behalf?
He is wanting to sell it, so just trying to see what he may get out of it. I have no interest in it. I have too many projects already...

Ghoste

Tough call.  If he has 15k in it and just wants to cash out his best bet might be to try and do that before putting any more money into it.  If no one bites then he might be forced to take it a little further in the process as far as getting ready for paint.

Indygenerallee

Put it on Ebay and find out it's true value!  :icon_smile_big:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

41husk

If he will let it go for rainbow 4jd's final value, let me know were to send the cash :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Old Moparz

Quote from: oldcarnut on August 23, 2012, 08:43:39 AM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 22, 2012, 02:07:20 PM

Here's one to watch
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird-Clone-/150885702048?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item23217d19a0

That's a nice car, but will still need some expensive work.

It'll be interesting to see how the auction goes or if anyone bids the starting bid amount of $15k.  :scratchchin:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

moparstuart

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 23, 2012, 11:06:34 AM
Quote from: oldcarnut on August 23, 2012, 08:43:39 AM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on August 22, 2012, 02:07:20 PM

Here's one to watch
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird-Clone-/150885702048?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item23217d19a0

That's a nice car, but will still need some expensive work.

It'll be interesting to see how the auction goes or if anyone bids the starting bid amount of $15k.  :scratchchin:
real 70 runner's gotta be worth 15k  , maybe 17k - 18k  for the whole package   :shruggy:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

That's not a real 70 Road Runner though, it's a Satellite cloned into a Road Runner and includes the parts to further it along into a Superbird clone.  I think double clones are worth half as much aren't they?

41husk

That should put it in negative #s. He should pay me to take it :scratchchin: :nana:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Redbird

Cost of car and parts, less 20%. Value any time and labor put in at zero

moparstuart

Quote from: Ghoste on August 23, 2012, 12:10:20 PM
That's not a real 70 Road Runner though, it's a Satellite cloned into a Road Runner and includes the parts to further it along into a Superbird clone.  I think double clones are worth half as much aren't they?
not to me  ,    Here are two clones   :icon_smile_big: mine being a double clone i guess 

Ghoste

No, I think the Birdible stands alone doen't it?

GOTWING

Stuart, a little close to that concrete pole aren't ya. I would hate to see someone put a dent in their bird  :D