News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

CONGRATS TO JOHN A. ON WINNING OE GOLD!

Started by Mopar John, August 13, 2012, 01:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul jacobs

Fuel tank Pad-We used orignal 60 lb felt which we found in a 100 year old warehouse. The stuff was probably 50 years old as it's nearly impossible to locate nowadays. Even though no one will ever see it, we stamped the pad as original!

paul jacobs

Trunk lid decals were placed within 1/16" of the originals thanks to careful before measurements!

ECS

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 28, 2012, 06:11:27 PM
Unfortunately, you are correct on many points.  You see, right now there are people, who frequent this board, are working behind the scenes.

Yes indeed.....a leopard doesn't change its spots.  It all boils down to jealousy and sour grapes.  Get a trumped up garbage score from the year before and they start to believe their own hype.  What name are they going by this week?  BEAST or CAPTAIN FLAPJACK?  As my Wife always says, when you're on top of the hill, there is always someone aiming to take you down.  Since they can't do it legitimately they have to resort to behind the scenes Coward & Gutless tactics.  If they spent as much time researching and developing their talents as they do trying to tear others down, they might actually achieve what guys like you accomplish year after year after year.  :2thumbs: Consider their actions a Compliment!  Your work is second to none!
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

Ghoste

That agenda is fairly much "outed" here though isn't it?  If not, I still think the majority of people are rightfully impressed by all three of the Daytona's at the Nats this year.

nascarxx29

:Twocents:  Impressed by all three what discrepancys did nats judging find wrong
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

resq302

I can't see why people would go and try to cut others down especially since the fact is that you are not really competing against each other but as the standards of how the car was made.  Honestly, if anyone has a beef with someone, it should be that person with the judges and not the owners or restorers of said car(s).  If the owner or restorer got something past the judges or the judges did not see an item and deducted it accordingly, thats on them.  Score one for the owner/restorer.

Yes, there are things I have done to my car to hide modern or incorrect things and if the judges find them, hey congrats, you did a great job.  But if someone after the fact has an alternative motive (which I don't know if anyone does or not just to be clear) to try and pick things apart and then report back to the judges to try and effect someones score, then thats just down right dirty!  Lets face it, the three daytona's got what they were after for..... OE GOLD!  Who cares if it is the top scoring car or lowest scoring car, they all got OE Gold.  If it was a personal achievement that they were trying to reach and a certain number was not met, well, then there is always the next time.  I know I have set out for getting an AACA Grand National Senior award with our el camino and we did not get it.  So I went back and corrected the things that were deficient and hopefully we will do much better the next time around. 

Another thing too is it all depends on the judge I have found.  One judge might pick up on something and another judge might miss that same thing that judge A picked up on.  So even if you have say a perfect scoring car at one show, you might not get a perfect score the next show.

Bottom line is that all 3 daytona's were trying to get the OE Gold Certification and THEY DID!  They achieved the award that they were after and congrats to all of them!  Im sure it was well deserved as they all looked fantastic from what I have seen in the pictures on here.  I know I do not have the resources (let alone the money) to do what they all did.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I hope the hobby media tout the fact as well.  All three at the same time is huge.  All of the Mopar and musclecar magazines to run a feature on the three gold Daytona's.

nascarxx29

:Twocents: When I did local wingcar judging @ Atco dragway I let the owner know on the sheet what items needed more attention.For the next timeout at a higher caliber show not to get penalized again .In my opinion it improves the the breed and further educates

paul jacobs

Thanks to you guys that are grown up and understand where I'm coming from! Hopefully this soap opera will end and people will do the right thing....

resq302

Quote from: nascarxx29 on August 29, 2012, 09:38:24 AM
   :Twocents: When I did local wingcar judging @ Atco dragway I let the owner know on the sheet what items needed more attention.For the next timeout at a higher caliber show not to get penalized again .In my opinion it improves the the breed and further educates

Nascar,

That is what I try to do.  I am always looking to better my car, hence, when I posted pics on here of the engine, undercarriage, interior, etc.  People can publicly rip my car apart which I don't mind.  It gives me the chance to find out what might or might not be correct.  I'll be the first to admit, my car will probably never be a perfect scoring car as I drive my car.  Yes, it has chips, scratches, etc but I also have the fun of driving it all over the place.  Granted, some places like AACA will never give out the judging sheets or tell you what you need to improve on unless it is a major deduction.  Other places will give you the judging sheet with what was deficient which allows you to make changes if you want which I appreciate as I'd like to have the best possible vehicle that I can.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

paul jacobs

One of the strange things on John's car was it was coded for hood pad & full undercoating, but go t very very little undercoating. Compare this to John Borzchs car and it had tons of undercoating, which saved it of course from it's hard life ;D
One thing that ended up being a mistake on my part was the inclusion of a hood to radiator seal. I had thought John lost it so I installed it the day before the show, running on fumes thinking it should have been there.

paul jacobs

Hood pad & radiator seal of which I should have left off lol!

resq302

Assembly mistake that it was not put there?  I would imagine it would play a huge part in cooling efficiency.
Brian

nascarxx29

And then theres what I call random workmanship My old car was built 606 FRi and had for starters never having seat buttons on onside of back seat.No button or trace of a thread.They also forgot to drill 2 holes in rad support for plastic vacuum line support.My old daytona that may have been the only car with SAE XX29 engraved into bottom edge of headlight door

Ghoste

Mopar John

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 29, 2012, 10:06:47 AM
One of the strange things on John's car was it was coded for hood pad & full undercoating, but go t very very little undercoating. Compare this to John Borzchs car and it had tons of undercoating, which saved it of course from it's hard life ;D
One thing that ended up being a mistake on my part was the inclusion of a hood to radiator seal. I had thought John lost it so I installed it the day before the show, running on fumes thinking it should have been there.
Paul,
Thanks for showing some of the pictures of John's Daytona restoration and all the original details!
MJ

nascarxx29

I got from original owner pictures.And studied them for reference details

nascarxx29

ECS

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 29, 2012, 09:54:19 AM
Thanks to you guys that are grown up and understand where I'm coming from! Hopefully this soap opera will end and people will do the right thing....

Welcome to "a fiction movie from Planet Walden".  I am truly sorry that this continues to happen to those who try and help the Hobby.  These guys will pat you on the back with one hand, while stabbing you with the other.  Let me tell you one of my stories Paul.  I spent approximately $400 making a custom nostalgic 1956 2nd Annual NHRA custom decal for "someone's" Uncle.  When I called this "individual" to give him an update on the project, we started discussing the lies & negative things that were being said about me & my cars on another Forum.  (I don't want to say which one because moparts might get upset.)  During the conversation he agreed how rude people were, couldn't believe the things that they resort to and suggested that I not let them bother me.  I found out later that it was HIM leading the gutless behind the scenes crusade against me!  I was calling to provide an update on a free service and HE was the one stabbing me behind my back on the forums.  How demented and low down do you have to be in order to do that?  At least you now know AREA 51 does exist and "conspiracies" are sometimes a pathetic reality. :lol:
TIME WILL INEVITABLY UNCOVER DISHONESTY AND LIES!

pettybird

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 28, 2012, 07:28:28 PM
Trunk lid decals were placed within 1/16" of the originals thanks to careful before measurements!

The paint there is orange--did they bother to mask around the decals when they sprayed it? 

Not knocking the car--great work.  Just curious...

hemigeno

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 29, 2012, 10:06:47 AM

Join the club there, Paul - but I had a lot more time (almost six years).  I even went out and found an NOS seal for Vance to install, but didn't bother to research that bigger-than-life detail you see first thing when the hood is open.   :icon_smile_blackeye:  

Oh well.  More grist for the rumor mill you spoke about earlier, I suppose.

Nice photos and details!  You put together an awesome binder of many parts photos, etc. - can you post that here?  GREAT material   :2thumbs:

resq302

Paul,

When John showed me the binder of all the stuff that you compiled I was blown away.  Amazing comparisons, pictures, etc even with all the history, letters, and rest of the stuff that was in there.  Absolutely amazing.  You sure turn out some fine work!
Brian

paul jacobs

Pettybird,
Yes, when John's car was painted in 1970 by the original owner they masked off all the decals so I had great references. Seems the original, and subsequent owners, reallt cared about this car. Usually there are a lot of modifications after 40 years (wiring, gauges, aftermarket stereo's etc.) but this car was spared!

nacsarxx29
I love the missing buttons on the seat covers! If you restored a car back like that you would be nailed to a cross by the big magazine gods!

Gene,
I thought your car had come with the rad seal so I never thought to ask you.

paul jacobs

Back to the undercoating/undercarriage. Here is an undershot of the car right after paint. There was little yellow underneath and it almost gets lost it's so light.

hemigeno

Quote from: paul jacobs on August 29, 2012, 07:59:11 PM

Gene,
I thought your car had come with the rad seal so I never thought to ask you.

When both Davtona and I each bought the car, it DID have the seal - but that's because it was sporting a replacement '70 Charger hood...   :P

A quick look through my photo archives did not turn up a single original hood that had a radiator seal, whether or not it had a hood pad.  Such a car may exist, but I saw enough to think it should probably been omitted as was the case with John's car.