News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some help - 1970 Hemi engine pictures

Started by 70Sbird, March 18, 2013, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Hello all,
I need some help. I'm going to be swapping a Hemi in place of a 440 in a Superbird as described in a previous post. I have now accumulated the engine and a pickup truck load of new parts for the swap, mostly from Classic industries and Year One. My issue is this: I don't consider either of those vendors an great resources as to what is correct. I have already found where the owner bought what he thought was a correct part or decal, only to have it appear to be the wrong one based on the few pictures I have of Hemis in Superbirds. This is not going to be an OE restoration, since most of the parts I will be bolting together are reproduction, but I would like it to look as OE as possible (and Pettybird has already ID'd the wrong valve covers).
So...If anyone has some decent engine and/or engine compartment pictures of a 1970 Hemi in a B body (Superbird would be even better) that you could post or send to me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm mainly looking for correct wire and plumbing routing and paint colors of components.
Thanks In advance
Scott

just as a teaser, here is the engine when I picked it up last week,
I'll start a thread documenting the swap when it happens next month (or when I accumulate the rest of the parts)

Scott Faulkner

Aero426

Quote from: 70Sbird on March 18, 2013, 12:12:54 PM
So...If anyone has some decent engine and/or engine compartment pictures of a 1970 Hemi in a B body (Superbird would be even better) that you could post or send to me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm mainly looking for correct wire and plumbing routing and paint colors of components.
Thanks In advance
Scott
Scott, I think one is pretty correct.    You will only need to do a little work to the inner fenders to make it like it really should be.    (These small changes will be an easy sell to your client.)

70Sbird

Thanks Doug!
I think he will have a lot of returns then! good thing those places have a liberal return policy! ;)

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Here's the engine compartment from my Buddy Pete's original Hemi 'Bird..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Looks like it doesn't have the correct valve covers. Balancer should be engine color - motor mounts were also on when the Hemi's got painted. I have a 70 Hemi car - will dig up some pics.

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 18, 2013, 01:01:54 PM
Looks like it doesn't have the correct valve covers. Balancer should be engine color - motor mounts were also on when the Hemi's got painted. I have a 70 Hemi car - will dig up some pics.

Scott, you may also wanna connect your negative cable and install your heater hose nipples, then paint accordingly once you've added what Jim has already mentioned. The rear heat cross over tube, if you're going to have them, that's attached to the passenger-side exhaust manifold, would be painted as well.

This might help

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hemi68charger

Troy

70Sbird

Scott Faulkner

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 18, 2013, 08:57:31 PM
Scott, you can go here too.....

http://mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Hemi_Engine_Paint/
No No - Lot's of mistakes in those pics. Heater nipples should be installed after painting.....among other stuff.

Try this to start - I'll look for my pics.

http://www.moparaction.com/Article/Purple_Reign/Purple_Reign.html

70Sbird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 19, 2013, 08:27:25 AM

No No - Lot's of mistakes in those pics. Heater nipples should be installed after painting.....among other stuff.

Awesome - color Hi-resolution pics!
one other quick question, did the Hemi in a Superbird have a direct drive fan with a spacer or a clutch fan? I've now seen pic of them both ways.
Thanks again!

Scott Faulkner

hemi68charger

Man, I'm trying...  :brickwall:
Troy

RealWing

[/quote]

Awesome - color Hi-resolution pics!
one other quick question, did the Hemi in a Superbird have a direct drive fan with a spacer or a clutch fan? I've now seen pic of them both ways.
Thanks again!

[/quote]
There was an engineering change about Nov 5, 1969 to change from a clutch fan to a solid fan to improve cooling. I know it applied to all 440 engines with auto tranny's but not sure about 426 engines. If there was a solid drive, the spacer will be coded on the broadcast sheet and a different fan will also be coded. My 440-6bbl spacer was 1851959 (59 on BS) and fan ( 7 blade, 18") was 2863223 (23 on BS)
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 19, 2013, 02:26:20 PM

Man, I'm trying...  :brickwall:

That's ok AB. We all try and help here.....that's why this is a fabulous site. Just wanted to make sure people didn't copy mistakes.  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 20, 2013, 08:08:45 AM
That's ok AB. We all try and help here.....that's why this is a fabulous site. Just wanted to make sure people didn't copy mistakes.  :2thumbs:

I did mention installing the nipples earlier though.... Wish I would have found pictures of a '70. I have a '68 ( mine ), but that's a '68..........

Scott, sure going to look purty when you get it in...........
Troy

maxwellwedge

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

hemi68charger

I said installing nipples !!!  Not pasties !!!   :nana:
Troy

CornDogsCharger

I took a bunch of detailed pictures of a survivor '70 Hemi Charger at a Mopar show a couple years ago. I'll post them This evening when i get home from work. It even still had the original plug wires on it!

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

CornDogsCharger

Well, I thought I took a bunch of detailed pictures of the engine... guess I only took detailed pictures of the rest of the car.  Anyways, here are a few that I have.  Wish they were better.  You'll have to excuse the blurr on the pictures.  I remember I scratched the lens on my camera just before this show. :(  I'm not sure if the negative battery cable is mounted in the right location.

Justin
"CornDog"

1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee