News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got a call from a friend yesterday about Boyd Cottington

Started by Drop Top, August 05, 2005, 09:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drop Top

Hes the guy that introduced me to Bill Cushenbery. Wants me to get to know Boyd Cottington. I guess he thinks I could make a good addition to his team. I just don't think I would get along with the guy for long. But on the other hand it might be good for me, exposer wise. I don't know, we'll see what happens. Just thinking out loud and seeing what some of you think. He says I could work 3 or4 days a week and come home to work in my shop the days I don't work there. The pay would be around $1200 a week. Then what I bring home from my shop. The trip is about 2 hrs drive one way. So I would have to stay there somewhere, when working for him. Just talking right now. We will see what happens. If its supposed to happen it will. I guess he knows Boyd preaty well. At least thats what he says. The guy dose allot of detailing for him on his cars. I've known him sense 4th or 5th grade. He dose detail work for allot of the big name guys in the L.A. area.

Dans 68

Are you going to be working with him or for him? I'm guessing that you have watched his show. The one big plus (TV time!) could result in a lot more work at your own shop, or at least at a higher premium than you are now getting for your work. Just get ready for some stressful times!   :yesnod: I had a boss like Mr. Coddington appears to portray on TV, and it made for not not good times. I ended up quitting to protect my sanity.

Wow. First Chris in USA today, and now you perhaps on TV. We have celebrities amongst us! Cool.   :icon_smile_cool:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

4402tuff4u

I think it's a good opportunity to make connections and spread your name. Drop Top you have alot of knowledge and have a good attitude, I would jump at it. This might be a break for you. I see it as a "no-lose" opportunity. You are not quitting a salary job, right? Go for it! Good luck. I hope things work out for you.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

RD

it would be a good experience, but dwayne and boyd are definitely lacking in the area called leadership.  They have terrible interpersonal skills and do not know how to appropriately motivate, guide and teach others.  In other words, they have no patience, and both have anger management issues.

If you have a lot of patience and understanding, then you will definitely be okay.  Oh, and no how to laugh at stupid stuff.  But if you do not, I would not take that position.

Good luck on your decision.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

triple_green

Hey DT,

Don't you want to become another famous dork who screws up his relationships and loses his temper on TV?

Come-on!!

:-*

Sounds like it might be a great chance ........ :icon_smile_big:

People like Jesse James and Paul Tuettle prove that just because you're famous, still doesn't mean   you have class!

3X

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Drache

Troy we need to get this man a shirt of hat from here! We could use the publisity!  :P
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Troy

I think it could do more harm than good. You can see that he thinks every relationship that ends was because someone screwed him and that he didn't do anything wrong (like abuse friendships). Then, he proceeds to go and talk bad about anyone and everyone he's had a falling out with. So, if things go bad and the "business" relationship ends then he could possibly drive your potential customers away. He has a larger audience listening to his version of events. On the other hand, it could mean a lot of exposure to people who might not otherwise know who you are.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Recharger

Sounds like a pretty cool opportunity (if you don't mind working in front of cameras) but there are definitely some issues to consider, as have already been mentioned.  The biggest issue to me would be the time away from home.  That can get old really quick.  If the initial offer says he'd need you 3-4 days a week, you can bet that'll turn into 4-5 or 6 days a week really soon.  I'd think long and hard about the stress that would cause.  Living out of a suitcase sucks.  So does being away from your wife and family 1/2 the time.  I'm sure this is no news to you though, good luck with the decision. 

Sounds like some decent "side money" though.  Wish I had a skill  :P

Charger_Fan

Basing my opinion on what I've heard of Boyd, I'd lay the offer back on the table, slowly back away...then turn & bolt for the door!  :leaving: :icon_smile_big:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger4404spd

Wow, go for it man! We can all say we know a celebrity. On the other hand, Boyd is an asshole, Id probably end up kickin his ass.

4402tuff4u

If you worry too much of Boyd and how he is going to treat you then you will find a whole bunch of people in this world like Boyd. You will occassionally run into these sort of people - but that's life! You are a talented person and no one can take that away or put you down for what you know. You are a street smart guy and guy like Boyd is no match for you. He is a shallow individual with a big ego and lots of money - that's all. He might know alot, however his ego gets in the way. You can show him who you really are and what really counts. Remember knowledge, hardwork and experience beats all his nonsense and act!
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

twilt

Quote from: Recharger on August 05, 2005, 12:43:51 PM
Sounds like a pretty cool opportunity (if you don't mind working in front of cameras) but there are definitely some issues to consider, as have already been mentioned.  The biggest issue to me would be the time away from home.  That can get old really quick.  If the initial offer says he'd need you 3-4 days a week, you can bet that'll turn into 4-5 or 6 days a week really soon.  I'd think long and hard about the stress that would cause.  Living out of a suitcase sucks.  So does being away from your wife and family 1/2 the time.  I'm sure this is no news to you though, good luck with the decision. 
:iagree:

SlowT

Hopefully the decision you make is one you can benefit from,But personally Boyd is a hack who rides on the sweat of the craftsmen under his thumb.
Too bad someone couldn't hook you up with Chip Foose or Troy Trepania(spell check)TOO class act guy's that are great designers themselves as well as craftsmen,with unlimited talent.
just my .02$
now back under my rock :yesnod:
87 WE-4 Mostly stock,no really lets run em I'll show ya.
Closet Mopar fan.
Dodge the father/Ram the Daughter

psykicpup

no offence   please ...please dont take this wrong, but
they may have seen your spelling & assumed you were 'less educated'

the spell check works!
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!

SlowT

87 WE-4 Mostly stock,no really lets run em I'll show ya.
Closet Mopar fan.
Dodge the father/Ram the Daughter

Old Moparz

Possible sequence of events:

1)    Drop Top accepts offer to work with Boyd.
2)    Two hour drive requires purchase of economical vehicle.
3)    Income level increases & workload increases.
4)    Camera crew & Hollywood perks become a novelty.
5)    Meet celebrities & get invited to Playboy mansion.
6)    New ads in Bakersfield newspaper "Drop Top's House of Boyd Body Shop"
7)    Family members never see Drop Top except for on TV.
8)    Some Kinda Charger Forum members don't get body work help & wait patiently.
9)    Trades in economical commuter vehicle for '06 HumVee with 6 plasma
      TV's & 32" Boyd wheels.
10) Televised argument between Boyd & Drop Top gets #1 Neilson ratings.
11) Contract negotiations are at a stand still for the second season.
12) Paul Tuttle is a guest on the show & wants to make a 4 door chopper based
      on the new Charger.
13) Some Kinda Charger Forum members start buying lots of bondo filler & ask
      halpag for tips.
14) Drop Top is seen at the Hard Rock Cafe with Pamela Anderson.
15) Drop Top is served with divorce papers.
16) Tommy Lee is photographed in the Enquirer punching Boyd.
17) Nike endorsement falls through & legal fees skyrocket.
18) Show is canceled.
19) HumVee is repossessed.
20) Pamela Anderson goes back to Tommy Lee.
21) Drop Top's House of Boyd Body Shop files chapter 11.
22) Body shops are suddenly not hiring when you apply for work.
23) IRS does audit & charges penalties.
24) You end up in Illinois making bondo versions of the General Lee for $6.50/hr.
25) Troy bans You from the Charger site because your ISP reminds him of a close friend

It could be a good idea & it might work out though.   :shruggy:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

dkn1997

at the very least, it will make for a good episode when you storm out of there.
RECHRGED

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ponch ®

Quote from: SlowT on August 05, 2005, 06:02:32 PM

Too bad someone couldn't hook you up with Chip Foose or Troy Trepania(spell check)TOO class act guy's that are great designers themselves as well as craftsmen,with unlimited talent.
just my .02$

he can always bail out and jump ship to Foose...at least 2 other guys have done it.  ;D
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Duey

Quote from: Iceman on August 05, 2005, 09:44:43 PM
Quote from: SlowT on August 05, 2005, 06:02:32 PM

just my .02$

he can always bail out and jump ship to Foose...at least 2 other guys have done it.   ;D

Yeah, Charlie seemed to be one of the few guys who actually worked hard without slagging guys and bitching about everyone else but him...I loved it when he quit.  Pretty laughable watching Boyd's #2 wife boo-hooing about Charlie leaving, being "family" and all.... :P

Good luck on your decision, and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Duey
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

Drop Top

Psykicpup;
Sorry I'm not the speller you are. I don't teach for a living. I restore cars. I might not be educated. But that dose not mean I'm dumb. My father went all the way to 8th grade. When he died he was worth well over $25 Million. Did he need Collage for that? I use Spell Check all the time. So if the spelling is wrong the Spell Check isn't working. I don't watch his show much. (I'm not impressed with it). So I don't know how to spell his name. No offence taken. I'd like to see you spell my last name. Most people can't even pronounce it when they see it spelled. By the way. When I ran Spell Check this time it told me to leave your name blank. One more thing. When you start a sentence your supposed to start it with a capitol letter aren't you? There might be more then one person here that thinks someone isn't as well educated as they think. "Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black."   :shruggy:

Old Moparz;
Man, you've got too much time on your hands. Thats FUNNY!!  :smilielol:

I have met Chip at a couple shows. He congratulated me on a 51 Ford that I did and a Kandy job I did on a 40 Ford 2 door sedan. Nice guy. I wouldn't mind working for him.

As far as working for Boyd. I talked to a guy I know that meet him at a trade school. He said that he's nothing like he is on the show. But the guy didn't work for him eather. I'll see if it goes any further then the first phone call and play it by ear. I'm a bit head strong and don't take much sh*t off anybody. So I might not last long anyway. But if the money is really good and if I think it will open new doors for me. I can take allot of bad mouthing. As far as being in front of a camera. I don't think I would start out there. I'm sure he picks those people carfully.

Like I said before. If its meant to be. Then it will happen. But I will persue it if possable. You can't open a door without turning the knob first.

Thanks for all your input!   D/T

BrianShaughnessy

Congrats and good luck with your decision.  Whatever it is.  :2thumbs:

Does anybody actually know if Boyd's show has been picked up for another year yet?   He could have been dropped for all we know and the place would go back to normal...  whatever that is  :P
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Silver R/T

I would jump on this opportunity, even though I watched the show and he didnt seem like most pleasant person I've known but looks like as long as you do your job he wont bother you. With your auto body skills I would say you'd make nice addition to his team instead of that 'blue bear' fat punk
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Charger Aficionado

I didn't read this whole thread, so don't fl   :flame: me me...  

ASK HIM TO MAKE SOME NICE NEW-STYLE VECTOR RIMS!!!

bull

Like American Chopper, the show is about arguments, tantrums and tension, not restorations. There's hardly any substance to it when it comes to the cars they restore and 90% it's a miracle they get the job done because they're so busy ripping on each other. I don't really think it matters to the producers if a guy can do a job or not so long as he can keep the sparks flying.

If you do go to the show I would have a plan on how you are going to make your mark and be remembered. Be sure to do good work while you're there, take the high road when the you-know-what hits the fan and then quit when you're at the top of your game before they have a chance to fire you.

Dale The Bold

Go work there, tell him off on camera in an eloquent way that makes his true colors shine.  Then you'll be an American hero.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"