News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godsmack635

I finally replaced the original headlight switch.  Even though it worked properly as far as opening and closing the headlight doors, I found out somewhere there was a small vacuum leak coming from the switch.  While tuning my carburetor over the summer I couldn't get my plugs to show any color no matter the jetting.  I had the vacuum lines smoke tested and while doing so the headlight switch revealed the issue.  I'll have them smoked again and see how it turns out. 

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: garner7555 on November 30, 2016, 10:10:42 PM

I can't decide between this upgrade or just going all out with LEDs?    :shruggy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291262795532?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Either one is a huge improvement and very much needed.    :yesnod:    :2thumbs:

You can make the swap to LEDs way cheaper than that kit. I'm running these on mine and they have been working great. I also installed on my old Jeep daily driver and they worked perfectly. Here are the links to what I have, just add in the relay kit and your low beams are all set.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/led-headlight-kit-h4-led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kit-with-flexible-tinned-copper-braid/2221/4993/

http://classicgarage.com/he-71456b.html

Here are pics of mine. First pic is the LED compared to old set of H4 bulbs I had. Second pic is both LEDs.  

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Dino

Quote from: Ryan.C on November 30, 2016, 10:22:03 PM
Quote from: Dino on November 28, 2016, 11:39:46 AM
I ended up using aluminum stock angle brackets because I didn't have the original ones. Drilled some holes, painted them black, works like a charm!

Pictures please!

There you go!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JR

Those look great White & Red.

How far do the LEDs project the light ahead compared to the h4s you had?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

6spd68

Every great legend has it's humble beginning.
Project 668:
1968 Dodge Charger (318 Car)
Projected Driveline:
383 with mild stroke
Carb intake w/Holley 750 VS

6-Speed Dodge Viper Transmission

Fully rebuilt Dana-60 w/Motive gears. 3.55 Posi, Yukon axles.

Finished in triple black. 

ETA: "Some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

alfaitalia

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 01, 2016, 02:35:50 PM
Quote from: garner7555 on November 30, 2016, 10:10:42 PM

I can't decide between this upgrade or just going all out with LEDs?    :shruggy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291262795532?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Either one is a huge improvement and very much needed.    :yesnod:    :2thumbs:

You can make the swap to LEDs way cheaper than that kit. I'm running these on mine and they have been working great. I also installed on my old Jeep daily driver and they worked perfectly. Here are the links to what I have, just add in the relay kit and your low beams are all set.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kits/led-headlight-kit-h4-led-headlight-bulbs-conversion-kit-with-flexible-tinned-copper-braid/2221/4993/

http://classicgarage.com/he-71456b.html

Here are pics of mine. First pic is the LED compared to old set of H4 bulbs I had. Second pic is both LEDs.  

Bright?...yes...nice pattern? ...most definitely not? Look at all that light bleed above what should be a reasonable straight cut off like the other light. Would not want to be a driver coming the opposite way? Led bulbs cannot just be put into normal reflectors and get a good result. The light leaves an led bulb differently to a conventional bulb so needs a different reflector to focus it...ideally a projector headlight. Or you end up with a horrible pattern and dazzling oncoming cars. Just one step away from the ricers with their blinding hids in factory, non projector housings imo.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

garner7555

Since we are on the subject of headlights now,  What about these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-LED-HID-Cree-Light-Bulbs-Crystal-Clear-Sealed-Beam-Headlamp-Headlight-Set-/232070997206?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I don't care for the looks of them, but they are hidden behind the door on our cars unless they are on anyway.   :shruggy:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

VegasCharger

Quote from: ODZKing on December 01, 2016, 01:55:11 PM
Well after months, and I do mean MONTHS of wait and delay, our garage project is finally finished. after we finally got the refinance and all THOSE hoops we had to jump through  :eek2:  then all the permits and inspections  :brickwall:  unbelievable.   :RantExplode:
Next, after the driest summer we have had in 50 years, we had the wettest October here in 114 years, more delays. It was incredible the amount of rain we got.
This project should have been done beginning of October but with the permit delays then the rain I finally moved the cars in today!
The contractor would start and have to stop because the yard was flooded or it was raining ... hard. Then we got a snow storm a week ago, like 18 inches!
Anyway, I am happy today as all three are tucked away in our Mopar Motel for the winter.

Congrats Bob  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

A well deserved Mopar shelter for you and worth the wait. Just in time for ol man winter.

:cheers: :cheers:

WHITE AND RED 69

Quote from: JR on December 01, 2016, 03:22:03 PM

It's not too much further, maybe 10-15ft but the light to me is much clearer than the old H4s. And they are not blinding bright like the xenon bulbs I had before the H4s.

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 01, 2016, 06:38:37 PM

Bright?...yes...nice pattern? ...most definitely not? Look at all that light bleed above what should be a reasonable straight cut off like the other light. Would not want to be a driver coming the opposite way? Led bulbs cannot just be put into normal reflectors and get a good result. The light leaves an led bulb differently to a conventional bulb so needs a different reflector to focus it...ideally a projector headlight. Or you end up with a horrible pattern and dazzling oncoming cars. Just one step away from the ricers with their blinding hids in factory, non projector housings imo.

The pattern is actually not that bad. That photo was during the install and the housing wasn't even aligned properly but now it is set up properly and looks much better. A projector housing would be the way to go but at the time I did the install housings were $300+ each so I went this route. I've got the same bulbs in my daily with reflector housings and not once has anyone flashed their lights or made a comment about them being too bright. Once the projectors are a reasonable price I will make the swap.

Here is a photo of my charger showing the light cutoff of the bulbs. I could probably adjust them a bit more to make it cleaner but it's not too bad.  
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

garner7555

Quote from: 6spd68 on December 01, 2016, 03:24:53 PM
Sold it...  :'(

Really?   I'm shocked, I remember you planning part selection, ect. not too long ago.  Sorry you had to sell it.  :pity:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 01, 2016, 11:21:07 PM
Quote from: JR on December 01, 2016, 03:22:03 PM

It's not too much further, maybe 10-15ft but the light to me is much clearer than the old H4s. And they are not blinding bright like the xenon bulbs I had before the H4s.

Quote from: alfaitalia on December 01, 2016, 06:38:37 PM

The pattern is actually not that bad. That photo was during the install and the housing wasn't even aligned properly but now it is set up properly and looks much better. A projector housing would be the way to go but at the time I did the install housings were $300+ each so I went this route. I've got the same bulbs in my daily with reflector housings and not once has anyone flashed their lights or made a comment about them being too bright. Once the projectors are a reasonable price I will make the swap.

Here is a photo of my charger showing the light cutoff of the bulbs. I could probably adjust them a bit more to make it cleaner but it's not too bad.  

You know, with a little tweaking you can make a Bat signal outta that!   :2thumbs:

garner7555

Wow, White and red, the LED light on that wall is awesomely white.   :2thumbs:    I bet visibility is great with those.  Do you have it wired with all 4 on for low and high beams?
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Dino

Quote from: garner7555 on December 02, 2016, 06:58:39 AM
Wow, White and red, the LED light on that wall is awesomely white.   :2thumbs:    I bet visibility is great with those.  Do you have it wired with all 4 on for low and high beams?

That's what I did with mine but I'm running H4s. Curious to see the result. I had zero problems with running 2 H4s on these dark country roads here though.

71charger_fan

Identified a new squeal as my almost new A/C compressor. Unfortunately, it sat on the shelf for a few years before installation, so the warranty was up before it even got used. On the plus side, the Sandens are inexpensive. It'll cost more to get it charged again than buying the new compressor.

two69chargers

This past Saturday I took my White Hat Special car to Michigan International Speedway for a charity track drive event. I had not been to that track since the late 80's. Got a lot of stares and thumbs-up from track officials and participants.
1969 RT / SE, 440 Magnum, Track Pack, B5
1969 White Hat Special, 318, 904, 8-1/4

two69chargers

Here is coming out of turn 1

two69chargers

In-car shot in one of the turns

Mytur Binsdirti

Cool, but you've got to do something with that dash pad.    :o

marshallfry01

Quote from: two69chargers on December 05, 2016, 12:54:29 PM
In-car shot in one of the turns

That's awesome! I hope to do that one day. Has your car ever been restored before? It looks original.  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71charger_fan on December 02, 2016, 08:31:29 AM
Identified a new squeal as my almost new A/C compressor. Unfortunately, it sat on the shelf for a few years before installation, so the warranty was up before it even got used. On the plus side, the Sandens are inexpensive. It'll cost more to get it charged again than buying the new compressor.

I don't understand . " It'll cost more to get it charged again than buying the new compressor".
[/quote]

You will always have to "charge" a new or old a/c system.

I got rid of my a/c. Not worth the upkeep, when you don't drive it much.

71charger_fan

The new compressor was only $225. It'll cost more to pay somebody to pull the system down and recharge it than the compressor cost. I picked up a few cans of freon at the discount store, so that should help hold the costs down if they'll use my carried-in freon instead of their marked up freon. The place I use has always been willing to use things I bring in in the past.

two69chargers

Mytur Binsdirti - Yes, something needs to be done about that dash pad, but currently this car is just a driver and I'm happy I have in back on the road for the first time this year in 8 years that I had it down trying to do the vinyl top replacement.

marshallfry01 - Yes, the car is un-restored. With the exception of the new vinyl I got put on this August. You see the light bronze / tan interior in that last shot as well as the incorrect black hood, for the car is supposed to be T5 Copper Metallic. Below is a picture of it the day after I bought it in 1995. I just learned a couple weeks ago that I am the 5th owner of the car. The car came with all the original owner information as well as receipts up through 1978. A guy I work with saw the car in the parking lot, recognized the interior color as the same as one his brother owned in high school. a discussion with me over who I bought it from and yes, it was that car. The 3rd owner is who painted it black, then sold it to the guy I bought it from. Other than mechanical stuff to keep the car running, stopping and safe, no restoration effort has been made on it. I'm saving that effort for my RT.

birdsandbees

Nice!!

Troy has a full dash pad set, tan, in the classifieds!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71charger_fan on December 06, 2016, 09:19:12 AM
The new compressor was only $225. It'll cost more to pay somebody to pull the system down and recharge it than the compressor cost. I picked up a few cans of freon at the discount store, so that should help hold the costs down if they'll use my carried-in freon instead of their marked up freon. The place I use has always been willing to use things I bring in in the past.

Freon??? that is just a name brand. Are you going with R-12 or R-134.