News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69white hat

Test fit my new boze friction wheels with no rubber. They fit perfectly. Next: Rubber. Also took a good look at the steering box and starter that need changed. Headers coming out  :eek2:

69white hat

Got a 120 amp alternator on from a 92 Chevy truck. Works like a damn, as my good friend my mechanic said.

myk

Quote from: 69white hat on April 05, 2014, 07:27:24 AM
Got a 120 amp alternator on from a 92 Chevy truck. Works like a damn, as my good friend my mechanic said.

What shape is your wiring in?  I hope you're not running your ammeter.  Also, if aren't already doing so, you should run a heavy gauge wire from the output of the 'alt to your starter relay; the stock wiring will not be able to withstand that kind of juice...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

JamieZ

Crawled into the trunk and fixed the wiring for the rear speaker.  Wow there's a lot of room in there......

Ground is starting to dry out and the snow is gone so maybe if it doesn't rain too much next week I can pull it out of the temporary garage and get it back into the real one without tearing up the lawn.  Then I can start on the engine (plugs, carb swap, tuning).

69white hat

Myk and Dino:

Absolutely not using my ammeter, I don't have the skill required, but my mechanic is cleaning up all the old wiring that is not needed and is making sure that there is NOT 120 amps running through the dash. Were going to relay the headlights, ( I'm putting in HID'S anyways ) and I already have relays on the elec fuel pump and the 2 elec fans on the rad. No unneeded power running anywhere it isnt supposed to. Thanks for the concern, I think we got it all in hand. I will souble check on the heavy gauge wire to the starter, it's coming out anyways. This site is great for people caring about others and their rides, that's why it's so great. Thanks guys!!

myk

That's great to hear. Have you considered rewiring the entire car? I think it'd be small price to pay for peace of mind.
Also, if you went with an aftermarket wiring harness you'd have enough circuits and healthy wiring to last you for decades and countless electrical modifications if you suddenly feel the need to do so.
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Chippa

Rebuilt my instrument cluster.....and ran some 8 gauge wire from Alt to ammeter, and another from opposite post to batt stud on starter with fuse ......

Chippa

Couple more  :D

myk

Wow.  I'm not a fan of the original dash and gauges but that looks GREAT!

Chippa

Cheers myk  :cheers:

Yeah I like the stock look :) i also pulled apart the original voltage limiter and wired up a 7805 inside it and attached a heat sink and capacitor  :2thumbs:

I'm only running a stock alt but wanted to help out the wiring a little with the 8 gauge wire....all my connections throughout the cluster were in great condition and there was only minor noticable heat through the batt side to ammeter (yes i am keeping my ammeter hooked up)...the only extra in this car is a an aftermarket stereo so if its lasted this long without any dramas i think she will keep going for another 40 years lol

Chippa  :cheers:

Pete in NH

Chippa,

Wow! What a really nice job on that dash.

One thing on the 7805 voltage regulator conversion, the heat sink looks a bit small. With three gauges operating on it the power dissipation could be as high as 7 to 10 watts. I did some bench testing with this circuit and found I needed a piece of aluminum with the size of about 1 1/2 X 4 inches to keep the 7805 at a reasonable temperature. The 7805 regulator is a good low cost solution but, its one draw back is it dissipates a bit of power.

Also, you want to keep that capacitor you added away from heat. Heat will greatly reduce the life of the capacitor by forcing the internal chemicals out past the capacitor's end seal.

JamieZ

Weather held so I decided to chance it.  The charger has escaped it's winter prison and is now back into the garage:

Now I can start working on tuning up the engine so it runs better....oh and adjusting the headlights too.

ChargerD100

If all goes to plan and my truck sells, ill be ordering TTI Ceramic coated headers, and their complete x-pipe exhaust system, msd ignition system, paint, fuel line, new front fenders, inner splash guards, deck filler panel, complete wiring harness and a few other odds and ends very soon
Current Mopars: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, 1970 Dodge D100

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

XH29N0G

Fixed dimmer switch and cleaned up small gauges in cluster.  Still sorting the speedometer.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Bob T

Been offline for a month or so....done around 800 miles and a huge week long cruise event in the BBD though, mint!  :2thumbs:

Pics to come....
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

fy469rtse

Wondered where you got to bob , is that the Americana event ?

RIDELIKEHELL

Started her up after a winters nap
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Dino

Cleaned up the garage a bit yesterday.  Tidied up everything in, under and around the car so it's nice and neat.  I'm hoping to start work on it again in a few weeks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

HeavyFuel

Pulled the trunk lid last week and having this repaired.  I decided on a spot repair/blend as opposed to repainting the whole lid.  

miller time

as of yesterday all my lights work properly, brand new BF radial TAs all around, new coolant return system, welded 2 exhaust hangers by the back bumper, and discovered its sooooo nice to pull the drivers seat to work under the dash, i dont think ill ever go back to leaving the seat in
and i tied the fame with custom sub frame connectors, oh and drove it for the first time (only 6 years after i spent my life savings on it) so progess is gaining momentum  :yesnod:

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: Dino on April 07, 2014, 07:53:01 AM
Cleaned up the garage a bit yesterday.  Tidied up everything in, under and around the car so it's nice and neat.  I'm hoping to start work on it again in a few weeks.

DAMN! That brand new paint! I went through the same thing with my drivers side front fender! Damn mechanic!
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

67440chrg

Put about 15 more miles on it a total now of about 40 on it after putting new cam lifters and aluminum heads on. Running great sounds even better. Now to buy a head on spring compressor to put my inside springs back in. It may get a few more miles on it til I can afford it.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 69white hat on April 05, 2014, 07:27:24 AM

Been through plenty of GM alternators in my life. They are junk  :Twocents: Your results may vary  :shruggy:

69white hat

Been through plenty of GM alternators in my life. They are junk  :Twocents: Your results may vary  :shruggy:
[/quote]

I'll let you know how it goes.