News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What have you done with your Charger lately?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, August 19, 2012, 10:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

303 Mopar

Quote from: chargerperson on September 08, 2015, 09:43:00 PM
303 Mopar

Car does not have glasspacks.  It does have headers and a 3" exhaust all the way back with flowmasters.  Engine is a brand new 392 hemi

Sounds awesome!! :2thumbs:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

keepat

Quote from: chargerperson on September 07, 2015, 10:15:40 PM
Brought my car home after a lengthy restoration - 18 months in total.  Picture of my 2009 5.7L 6spd Challenger and 67 Charger restomod (392, 6spd tremec, rms front and rear, wilwoods, vintage air) below. 

Quick video of me driving away shot by the owner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjPH7WfpKzs

Awesome car! Would love to see more pictures.
Congrats!
Pat

grdprx

Newest piece of hardware on the Charger - Axle end play adjusting lock clip, wasn't there when I disassembled the rear to replace the diff.
Go figure...

ODZKing

Quote from: grdprx on September 09, 2015, 11:31:46 AM
Newest piece of hardware on the Charger - Axle end play adjusting lock clip, wasn't there when I disassembled the rear to replace the diff.
Go figure...
Hmm, interesting. What does that do?  You've peaked my curiosity  :popcrn:

Dino

Quote from: ODZKing on September 09, 2015, 11:46:01 AM
Quote from: grdprx on September 09, 2015, 11:31:46 AM
Go figure...
Hmm, interesting. What does that do?  You've peaked my curiosity  :popcrn:

The big toothed ring sets the axle end play and the clip secures it in place. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Musicman

Ayuh... like the man said... you rotate the toothed ring and set your bearing end play to zero, then back it off 4 notches to provide proper end play. The locking clip secures it in place so you don't loose your end play adjustment.

grdprx

:yesnod:  that is the purpose of the clip.  What are the odds that my axles had excess end play, because there was no clip, and that caused my diff failure?

ODZKing

I know little if nothing about the axle(s) or differential. I do know I have a bit of a whine on my 73 which I was told was coming from the rear end.
So I apologize if these questions are dumb, but what is "end play"? I'll never know unless I ask.   :popcrn:

ws23rt

Quote from: ODZKing on September 11, 2015, 10:03:09 AM
I know little if nothing about the axle(s) or differential. I do know I have a bit of a whine on my 73 which I was told was coming from the rear end.
So I apologize if these questions are dumb, but what is "end play"? I'll never know unless I ask.   :popcrn:

If you pull out and push in the axial (either one as they work together) and their is movement, that is end play. It is bearing clearance in the tapered roller bearings.

ODZKing

Quote from: ws23rt on September 11, 2015, 10:38:36 AM
If you pull out and push in the axial (either one as they work together) and their is movement, that is end play. It is bearing clearance in the tapered roller bearings.
Hmm, my passenger one has some play to it.  That also seems to be where the whine comes from as when I turn right, the noise seems to subside some.
Bearing or adjustment or both IYO?

ws23rt

IMO  :scratchchin: A whine is more likely to be a gear noise.  However a noise that changes when turning could be from a bearing issue. Since both the drivers and passenger side bearings adjust together and a noise comes from only one side could indicate one of them could be dry. :shruggy:
The rear bearing problems I have felt were subtle roughness or rumbling sounds. In any case if a noise is coming from a bearing it has been damaged --time to change it.

myk

Pushed it home, because my third electric fuel pump just bit the Bullitt...  ::)
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

cdr

Quote from: myk on September 11, 2015, 03:41:14 PM
Pushed it home, because my third electric fuel pump just bit the Bullitt...  ::)

are you running a fuel return ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

myk

Quote from: cdr on September 11, 2015, 04:00:00 PM
Quote from: myk on September 11, 2015, 03:41:14 PM
Pushed it home, because my third electric fuel pump just bit the Bullitt...  ::)

are you running a fuel return ?

Yes I am... :scratchchin:  am I not supposed to be?  I bet I have it set up wrong... ::)
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

cdr

yes having the return is a must on a street car, how do you have it all set up ? & what kind of pump
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

myk

Quote from: cdr on September 11, 2015, 04:20:09 PM
yes having the return is a must on a street car, how do you have it all set up ? & what kind of pump

Ok let's see if i got this right.  When I had my car rewired I figured I'd let them install the e-pump at the same time.  They have a Bosch unit that is supposedly rated from 4-9psi, and they insist that no regulator is required (?). The mounting location seems to be proper: low and close to the tank.  The fuel line then runs to a metal filter with two outlets.  One goes to the 'carb and the other goes to the line that leads back to the tank.  Originally, they did not have the return line hooked up; I reconnected it.

Let me guess: this arrangement is completely wrong?   :icon_smile_blackeye:

cdr

that should work, i would make sure that fuel is returning, be careful ,take the line off at the tank & see if it is flowing.

myk

And if it isn't returning?  

I just bought a Holley Red pump and the 12-803 regulator.  Maybe these Bosch things are garbage.  Or what else could be killing these pumps?  Thanks for the input CD...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: myk on September 11, 2015, 04:56:06 PM
And if it isn't returning?  

I just bought a Holley Red pump and the 12-803 regulator.  Maybe these Bosch things are garbage.  Or what else could be killing these pumps?  Thanks for the input CD...

I would have gotten the Mallory. Much quieter.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

I've grown to like the noise.  It's a sign that the pump is still working which I find comforting... :-\

303 Mopar

Quote from: myk on September 11, 2015, 04:34:14 PM

Ok let's see if i got this right.  When I had my car rewired I figured I'd let them install the e-pump at the same time.  They have a Bosch unit that is supposedly rated from 4-9psi, and they insist that no regulator is required (?). The mounting location seems to be proper: low and close to the tank.  The fuel line then runs to a metal filter with two outlets.  One goes to the 'carb and the other goes to the line that leads back to the tank.  Originally, they did not have the return line hooked up; I reconnected it.

That pump should be fine without a regulator.  It sounds like your fuel filter is like mine.  Be sure the smaller nipple is lined up on top of the other, and the smaller is connect to your return line.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

myk

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 11, 2015, 05:20:09 PM
Quote from: myk on September 11, 2015, 04:34:14 PM

That pump should be fine without a regulator.  It sounds like your fuel filter is like mine.  Be sure the smaller nipple is lined up on top of the other, and the smaller is connect to your return line.

The Edelbrock manual says no more than 5.5 psi for their carbs; so I bougt the regulator just in case, since the Holley Red supposedly puts out up to 7 psi.

Does it matter if the pump is connected to a relay or just fused?

cdr

yes to the returning  :yesnod:   it needs a relay .

myk

Quote from: cdr on September 11, 2015, 06:47:25 PM
yes to the returning  :yesnod:   it needs a relay .

You mean yes to the regulating?  Also, what's the issue with not using a relay?

cdr

not using a relay can overload the factory wiring & ign switch, also, no other loads on that circuit keeps voltage consistent.