News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are there any big game hunters on this board

Started by 67_Dodge_Charger, August 26, 2012, 06:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Dodge_Charger

I live and work in Montana hunting and fishing, just all around enjoying the outdoors whenever I can.  The reason I ask if someone is a deer or elk hunter is Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks has a surplus of non-resident hunting licenses available.  Check out the website http://fwp.mt.gov/ for information on how to get these licenses.

:popcrn:

lloyd3

Elk and deer have been a primary protein source in our home for well over 20 years now.  The underfunded and overextended State of Colorado has been trying to get it's greedy little hooks into the Division of Wildlife here forever (to get at the Pittman-Robertson Funds received from the Feds so they can be funneled into the State's General Fund).  About 2-years ago they succeeded.  The DOW is now part of Colorado Parks and Recreation.  Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I haven't drawn an elk tag since.  Draws here have also been wildly unpredictable and tags have even been withdrawn after they were received (I know of this firsthand!).  Bureaucrats and politicians (not biologists or hunters) are now at the helm and it's not looking so good. It sort-of feels like uber-liberal California invaded us (and in lots of ways besides this). I've looked out-of-state (Wyoming, Utah, etc.), but the costs are discouraging when you consider all the ancillary expenses (not including the added time involved to get there and back).  Montana is a beautiful place (I've run several projects there in a past life) but I can't imagine that nonresident tags are very cheap.  Mine (when I can get them) are still only $35.

67_Dodge_Charger

Montana Big Game (Deer & Elk) Combo License are only $939.  The license fee dropped two years ago from about $1500.  Resident deer and elk combination is $39 but you can load up with all licenses and hope for special permit areas.  Most of the state of Montana does not have the permit system for deer and elk hunting licenses. :cheers:

Antelope, Big Horn Sheep, Mountain Goat, Moose, and Bison are by permit licenses. 

Don't get me started on politics sneaking into management of wildlife.  Wildlife should be managed by biologist not politicians.  :2thumbs:

lloyd3

No doubt, Montana would be a fun big game trip.  How's your bird population looking this year?

67_Dodge_Charger

I haven't heard what this year is looking like for pheasant populations.  The eastern side of the state is the best for birds for all species, the tough part is getting access. 

The block management program manages access to private lands and has information available online http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/hunterAccess/blockman/ and will have access information for all hunting seasons.  This will get you started on getting access to some beautiful country. 

I would call the biologist for the area you are interested in hunting, the horses mouth will give you the best information.  Robert

lloyd3

Montana pretty much has it all.  Great big game, great fishing, and great upland hunting!  The American Redoubt! The last good place! (Well, Wyoming's not all-bad either!) I'm hearing that your pheasant population might be allright this year.  Word out of the Dakotas is encouraging, so Montana should be OK as well. Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas won't likely have very good years because it was so damn hot and dry this summer. I work at a fairly high-end sporting goods shop here in Denver (M.W.Reynolds), so we get all of the scuttlebut.  When I was a young man, it was cars, girls, and hunt'en & fish'en.  Multiple degrees and many years in corporate America haven't seemed to diminish that very much.  I've been married for going on 30-years now so the girl thing is well under control, but the rest is still a perpetual distraction.

DadsCharger00

Maybe a silly question....what about a boar hunt? My dad wants to do that and I'd love to take him....

lloyd3

I don't know about Montana, but from what I understand, boar hunting is a southern thing.  Texas is where most of the videos on the subject are shot, but they seem to be a real problem in most of the south. I even think California has a few.  Go on line and search pig hunts in Texas (or Arkansas, or Georgia, etc.).  I'd be shocked if you didn't find something.  Since Texas is closer I'd assume they would be the cheaper option.  In theory, we have them here in SE Colorado, but the numbers can't compare to what they are dealing with down south.

67_Dodge_Charger

No boar hunting in Montana, but deer hunting is a pretty good bargain for non-resident hunters.  You can buy a license and go hunting depending on the district regulations for whitetail deer or mule deer.  It would be interesting to hunt Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and Idaho in the same year.  Alaska is the pinnical of all hunts, I had the pleasure of working in Alaska for one summer and being able to fish for a few days.  I never thought I would get tired of fishing, my arm was pretty sore for a week. :cheers:

DadsCharger00

I've looked into Texas. One of my patients has some land there. I guess depending on where ya go some guys want em gone so bad they let ya hunt em pretty cheap. Mostly charge for processing em and room and board while you're there.

lloyd3

Hit the small game opener here in Colorado on Saturday.  Burned lots of shells on small, fast birds down on the Arkansas river, east of Pueblo.  A very good tuneup for everything that follows.