News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Run on HeavyFuel (Resto)

Started by HeavyFuel, September 11, 2012, 04:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chippa

Great Job  :2thumbs: i feel your pain as i went thru the whole process as well....just about broke me but i'm happy i spent the time restoring cause it would of eaten me up if i had left it.....really compliments the rest of the car when its looking all new again. :cheers:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on December 18, 2012, 09:11:46 PM
Maybe I missed it,but what made you decide not to paint the grilled slats silver?

Good question. :yesnod:

I saw a few cars that had a solid black grill area, and I liked the look.  The rest of my car is very stock looking, but this is one thing that I deviated.  From an aesthetic viewpoint, there's a lot going on in the grill/bumper area....many lines working.  I think the blacked area allows the eye to enjoy the design a little easier.  All those vertical silver ribs can get a little busy.

The silver can always be added to the grill ribs later if I change my mind.  Probably in a couple years the grill will need a re-do anyway.....I don't expect the paint to hold up over the long haul.

HeavyFuel

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on December 18, 2012, 04:01:45 PM
Awesome work! Looks Great!   :drool5:  What paint did you use on the grill support? I like the gloss look, I used a semi flat on mine and am thinking about redoing it.   :cheers:

I only repainted the top flat panel....everything underneath, the "skeleton",  is original black from factory.

The paint on the flat panel, believe it or not, is a spray from a local farm and home store.  I wish I'd discovered it earlier in the resto, it's good stuff.  Takes a long time to dry, but when it does, it's tough with a nice finish.

http://www.majicpaints.com/products/farm/tti/

HeavyFuel

The sail panel trim got installed this last weekend, among other things.  No big deal, but I learned a couple things to pass along.

Test fit the trim, then mark and cut the vinyl so the edge hides underneath (if you haven't already done this).  Be sure to lay the razor's edge against the vinyl, then pull up on the vinyl against the blade to cut.  Don't drag the blade along to cut, it'll probably go through the vinyl and cut into the paint, creating a place for rust to start.

1)  Get the trim all pretty.  I use 0000 steel wool, Mothers Mag Polish, and a Dremel tool buffer.  It takes a while, but turns out nice.

2)  I installed the inside trim first.....speed nuts are used to hold it on.  Don't snug it up yet, just push it through the vinyl and leave it up about 1/2 inch.

3)  Moving on to the outside trim, you'll need two of these threaded clips per side.  The tiny gaskets were stiff, so I made new ones with the leftover gasket material from the body gasket kit from Detroit Muscle Tech.

HeavyFuel

1) Make sure that they are installed like this.  You'll have to use a needle nose to grab the wire and set it in place.  I think they are designed this way because they only slide one direction.....this is important to know.

2) Position two threaded clips as shown.

3)  The push clips that come in one of the repo kits are the wrong size (black ones).  Don't use them.  I tried 'em, and found out the hard way that there isn't enough room behind the hole for them to push in all the way.  My nice trim piece now has a couple dimples.  I ended up using the originals, which are nice anyway, and have the rubber seal built in.

4) Position three push type clips as shown.

HeavyFuel

1)  Now it's time to get this baby on.  This is where you'll see why it's important to have the threaded clips on the right way.  If you start with the clip all the way to the end, as shown, you'll be able to slip the end of the side trim over the end of the inside trim piece already installed, while you push the threaded clip into it's hole. (insert both threaded clips into their holes at the same time)  With the threaded clips pushed into their holes, you should be able to slide the side trim backwards onto the end of the other piece.  And since the clips only slide one direction, the side trim will stay on tight to the other piece.  Now you can press on the other three push fasteners.

2-3) Finished product......turned out decent.

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bakerhillpins

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

brigond

Wow! I'm inspired . This inspires me to dig deeper into my car. Not to hesitate and to do more of my own work when ever possible. Nice restoration.
Mopars are like the Hot Wheel/Matchbox cars from when I was a kid ...  Bad A@@ and Cool!!!

My other hobby is practicing the ancient art of CLICK! POW!

Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

HeavyFuel

Registered the car today.  It's not ready to drive yet, but I didn't want to miss this date. :icon_smile_cool:

My car had a scheduled production date for late Jan '68 and actually had final inspection on Feb 2, 1968. (see firewall pic....it's a little faded, but when I got the car 21 years ago, the writing was distinct)

It was a sold car, and the new owner took possesion on 5 Feb '68 in Tulsa, OK.  I have the original owners manual with the little card that the dealer filled out when the owner picked it up.  Now if it was me back then, I would have gone straight to the DMV after leaving the dealership, soooooo.....

So I registered it today......45 years to the day after the cars first registration.  (funny...my wife is 45, too.) :scratchchin:

Also, I used 1966 plates (with 1968 tags) from my state, and registered the car as an antique........one time fee of $10.  :2thumbs:

HeavyFuel

Thought I'd post something to keep you guys from thinking I'm totally screwing off this winter......which can't end soon enough, by the way.

My console tops needed a little attention, so they got a good scrubbing and some detailing.  I used a paint pen obtained from the local hobby store.

You can see the obvious lines of new paint.

Original plating and silver paint.  The silver has a few wear marks and scratches....good enough...I'm loosing ambition on this thing.  :-\    Someone  please send some nice weather so I can open the garage doors to my cave.

'spose now that I discovered the paint pen works, the gas cap black detail should get done........another part to take off and put back on....I've built this car twice. :rotz:

Panana sounds good right now......I hear there's a Mopar community down there.  :icon_smile_wink:

HeavyFuel

(edit out pic)

(Sorry.......It's snowing again......and I need to get to a beach or something....)

JB400

Try building an airplane.  You build the darn thing 100 times before you even put any rivets in :P

HeavyFuel

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on March 23, 2013, 12:35:19 AM
Try building an airplane.  You build the darn thing 100 times before you even put any rivets in :P

Don't think I'll try that.  :lol:

I'm gonna be afraid to drive this car that I built and it's on the ground.

HeavyFuel

Here's some detailed action concerning the center console rework.  I got pretty lucky, and mine was in darn nice shape, just needing a few things here and there.
1)  Before.  Kinda dirty......the black plastic needed intense scrubbing with toothpaste and brush.  That really did a nice job and was minty fresh!

2)  The back plate, again, dirty, but the black paint was good, so I was careful not to over scrub it.

3)  Clean plastic, back plate, new carpet...pretty nice.

HeavyFuel

1)  Typical  'fat chick crack'.   (I don't know why they call it that, a jug of milk could probably do that kind of damage....doesn't take a fat chick....although they do HAVE big jugs...but I digress.)

2) Repaired the underneath with fiberglass.  Should keep the crack from getting any worse, and I left the top as it is, because it's not that noticeable, unless you look straight from the top.

3) The rubber foam pads on the door were hard as a rock, so those got replaced with rubber left over from the DMT kits.

HeavyFuel

1-2)The tabs that hold the rear carpet plate were busted, so I fabbed some aluminum reinforcements and JB welded them on.

3)  45 year old sealant on the edges of the shift window was shot, so after I cleaned everything up, I re-sealed it with bathroom caulking.

HeavyFuel

1)  The plastic sides still showed a few light scuffs after the clean-up, but I don't want to coat it with anything.  I like the look of the natural plastic.

2)  Light rings didn't need anything, just a cleanup, and the SS trim got a nice polishing.

3)  The shift window turned out good, no scratches.  The plastic slider had a few and a small crack...no biggee.  The black line detail shows up nice, and it really makes the big difference on the overall appearance.  I considered not redoing the black lines......but it's must.  It's all in the details.

4) Should look pretty nice in the car.

HeavyFuel

It feels like the home stretch!  Been working on the re-assembly since July  of last year.  Gettin' close now.

1-2)  (before and after) Pads are all original, and the plastic vapor barrier is a copy of the original, with the caulking strip going on right where the factory put it.  Don't forget to tuck the plastic into the slot along the bottom, so the rain drops stay in the body cavity and hopefully find their way to the drain holes.  I sprayed 3M Rust Inhibiter into the doors and quarter pinch welds to hopefully slow down the corrosion process in the cavities.

3-4) Door bottoms turned out nice.....like anyone will ever see 'em.  You can see in the before pic where one of the previous owners butchered the inner door skin to fit in speakers.  That was all repaired......hope the door panels pop in like they're supposed to, I'll find out in a few days.

HeavyFuel

1) The clips for the outside top door trim were interesting.  Nicely color coded, different sizes and tilted prongs to accommodate the tapered design of the trim.

2) Decided to detail the black back into the groves of the original gas cap.  Glad I did, makes a big difference.  Hopefully the paint I used will hold up to the incidental fuel splashing that's bound to happen.

3-4)  The wifey said the other day, "Would you hurry up and get that hunk of metal done."  Isn't that special?    Almost there, Honey.

HeavyFuel

1)  Still gotta decide on the wheel/tire combo.  The original Magnums are so nice, I'd hate not to use them, but it sucks getting tires that fit.  I 'm not paying $1000 for a set of bias white lines.  (original spare/tire shown)

2-4) Interior is getting close to the end.  The dash is all original (went in a long time ago), and the carpet is currently going in.  The ACC stuff has plenty on either side to trim back, and is molded to fit pretty well (so far I've only got the back in).

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.