News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1972 superbird for sale

Started by BigBlockSam, September 19, 2012, 07:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

:scratchchin: Any guesses to what the reserve is?  I would guess in the 20k range :shruggy:  Let me guess $24,900.  By the looks of the house, the guy did not get into it to lose money.  With the base car wing, nose, 440 and other items he probably has that invested.   
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

learical1

Kinda reminds me of the old MPC 1971 Road Runner kit with the "SuperBird " option.

http://cs.scaleautomag.com/sca/modeling_subjects/f/29/t/83172.aspx
Bruce

odcics2

There were 3 front ends considered for 1971.  

"Small", like Gary and Pam's car.  "Medium", similar to the '1972' creation for sale and....(drum roll...)

The "Aero Front End" which changed everything forward of the cowl.    This included a new rad support, radiator, sloped hood and fenders, in addition to the "aerocone".

This was the BEST configuration!     Oddly enough, NOTHING they did on the Plymouth Road Runner or Dodge Charger came close to the 1969 1/2 Daytona package.

All this can be found by wading through the "G" Series Wind Tunnel studies on aerowarriors.com      

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

A little surprising the fuselage styling couldn't beat the previous generation.

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 03:23:07 PM

The windshield to side glass air flow is terrible.   Rear window flow is bad.  (That is helped a bit by a lot of rake angle.)  Not sure that the fuselage sides were all that bad!!

Ghoste

Thats what I mean though, all of that stuff just looks so much smoother.  Just goes to show you huh?

JB400

Something was done right with the cars' design.  Team Petty had pretty good success with the car.  And he prefered the 3rd gen over the plymouth of the same years and delayed going to the newer Charger and Magnum as long as he could.

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on September 20, 2012, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2012, 03:23:07 PM

The windshield to side glass air flow is terrible.   Rear window flow is bad.  (That is helped a bit by a lot of rake angle.)  Not sure that the fuselage sides were all that bad!!

Also the upswept rear hood edge did away with the cowl panel.  That is where the engine takes its air and was another area that responded differently.  

The 1970 Torino looked very racy but wasn't quite as good on the track as the older 1969. 

odcics2

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on September 20, 2012, 03:30:10 PM
Something was done right with the cars' design.  Team Petty had pretty good success with the car.  And he prefered the 3rd gen over the plymouth of the same years and delayed going to the newer Charger and Magnum as long as he could.

Compared to the Mercs, Fords and Chevies he competed against...

One of his old tricks was pulling the front forward of the bottom of the bumper/grille area.  Compare a 74 era K&K to the 74 Petty Charger in a side view.   At Daytona and Talladega he raked the heck out of the car.  He hid this by filling in the 1/4 panels above the rear tires.
In the front view, he had the fenders pulled out to shield the tires. Likewise, the 1/4 panels had a flair in front of the rear wheels.

JB400

Yeah, they cut a few inches out of the firewall to get the rake that they needed. 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Aero426 on September 20, 2012, 09:17:38 AM
There were multiple versions of noses tested on the 1971 wind tunnel models.    I am not looking at the information, but the nose as built on Gary and Pam's street car may not have been the optimum aero package.    But it does work well with the stock Plymouth fenders they had to work with.    My impression has always been that the car as built would have quite a bit more lift than the longer 1970 style nose.

The 18" nose and bi-wing was the optimum package, based on the 3/8 scale wind tunnel testing done back in the day, we chose the 12" nose IIRC the configuration, due to visual styling cues that it offered, plus being able to retain the factory lower valance, factory spoilers, etc, the 18" nose just looks too big on the cars lines (71)...plus we were looking to create a newer look for the car, rather than the played out typical nose design we all know

mike

Ghoste

And I'm guessing NASCAR rules would not have allowed for a "race" version and a "street version in a case where visual styling might have made one choice better for retail?

JB400

I don't think Bill France would allow any manufacturer to put another generation of aero cars on his tracks.  From what I here, he didn't want no experimental cars period.  That's why the rulebook changed in 71,

Ghoste

Hypothetically of course, its a what if situation.

JB400

Hypothetically, let's put it this way, if the wing cars were allowed to continue, we wouldn't be shaking our heads at the kids that put the stupid wings on their hondas.  Besides, I wouldn't mind going to the dealership and buy a new wing car.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:  Bad thing is, our wing car values would drop. :eek2:

Ghoste

You are still missing my question.  IF the 71 program had made it to fruition and IF the stylists still had a big say in it am I correct in assuming that NASCAR would not allow a race nose version for competition and a better looking street nose version for Chrysler to sell and homologate?

JB400

I doubt it if the stylists would have their way.  The nose is there strictly for function, and so the engineers would get their way.  Stylists would get to design shape of the headlight doors and whatnot for the street model, Nascar ain't going to allow one off noses for competition.  Put it on the street, if you want to put it on the track. :2thumbs:

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on September 21, 2012, 05:52:53 AM
You are still missing my question.  IF the 71 program had made it to fruition and IF the stylists still had a big say in it am I correct in assuming that NASCAR would not allow a race nose version for competition and a better looking street nose version for Chrysler to sell and homologate?

The way the car was presented for homologation was the way it had to be raced.     So no, you could not have two completely different noses.     

nascarxx29

It does remind me of the model kit car .They should have painted it light yellow

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Love that old MPC kit.   I also have one that is labeled as a GTX kit with the nose and wing kit.