News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PLAYBOY DAYTONA

Started by 65post, February 06, 2006, 11:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

If the photographer was found there may have been other shots.I searched playboy photographers thinking that there in some kind of union or registered and a credited to use that magazine as a reference on there portfolio.Later in there career.Still looking for Kermit Johnson to see if any other pictures he might have took for playboy or any other magazine .We are still looking but nothing so far .It might have been a alais photographer name?? :Twocents :Another thought As major mopar magazine holds a mopar event at the playboy mansion .They could get at the archive material
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 09, 2011, 12:08:42 PM
Again, the magazine's going to edit their stuff. I find it hard to believe that magazine's going to give a hoot about a car. They only put in what they get from the company that's doing the advertising. And back then, why in God's name would Dodge care if the door knob is black or chrome. If they were so anal about this or that being correct, then they would have drove over to the university a Daytona that had it's fender scoops, or, at the very least, "doctor" the photo so they were there.....

Final answer, I believe............

im not implying that playboy did anything other than place the article in the magazine exactly as it arrived at their office. the entire page is most likely a free-lanced piece, just as you stated. all kinds of editing looks to have taken place before sending it to playboy. how does a two foot tall bench cast a shadow, while a five foot tall girl and a six foot tall guy do not? why is the grass where these shadows would have fallen different from the rest of the lawn to the left and right of the sidewalk? this same difference in the grass makes a perfectly straight line right above the cars's doghouse, unlike the undoctored grass above it.

if dodge didnt care about details, why did the button color get changed in the first place? the boys in the styling and publicity departments most certainly were anal about how things looked, or superbirds wouldnt have came painted up like a twenty dollar hooker. its hard to think the factory had anything to do with this specific article, or it would not have mentioned the nose as being plastic.

the production figure mentioned here earlier for f6/green interior daytonas that comes from information gathered by the club does not account for every f6 car. the club's numbers are only as good as the accuracy and completeness of what is reported to them. the club totals could have given us the totals regarding b5 blue daytonas, but until recently the club did not have any details about the one that has spent the last 42 years in the garage here.

i dont mean to belittle your opinion, but short of the people who actually worked on that article remembering every detail about it, there is no way to prove or disprove anything to do with it.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

[why did the button color get changed in the first place?] My best guess is
Ever see a dodge sales brochure with something odd on a car or about it.But it doesnt apply to the production line vehicle.As its a early pilot or prototype.

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on December 09, 2011, 12:38:48 PM
,,, there is no way to prove or disprove anything to do with it.

Yeap,,, and the grass is always greener on the other side. Human nature for the most part is always trying to "one-up" someone or "disprove" this or that in their closest "Sherlock Holmes" impersonation.

I'll leave it to the conspiracy theorist on this one...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

richRTSE

Quote from: nascarxx29 on February 08, 2006, 08:53:51 AM
...For one it has MI manafacture plates it appears...

I believe those are just regular '69 Michigan plates....2 letters/4 numbers were standard I believe...

nascarxx29

I have come across other types of photography under same Kermit Johnson name.The playboy photograher for 1969??
http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc4619.php

richRTSE

QuoteI put scoops on my Daytona in 1984 but never cut the holes in the fenders. The Playboy pic was shot at the University of Wisconson. I don't believe the plate is a dealer plate, probably a plate that Chrysler Corp. used to drive their cars.  My car was sold through a dealership in Kansas City Mo.
Hope this clarifies a few things. Pete Veight

Hi Pete,

I was just wondering if could you post some picts of your car now, and do you have any from before you put the fender scoops on? Have you ever though of taking the car back there and replicating the playboy ad?

Thanks, Rich

nascarxx29

Does Petes car have it buildsheet what interior color Green? Black? White?

TONY

petes car has green interior

nascarxx29

When Gary Lazar owned the car circa 1979 its recorded as white interior white stripe .5 years before it was Petes who said he got it around 1984 :shruggy:

TONY

gary L had put white seats in the car and but left the other interior parts green, except for the items that he started to paint black for his plans of converting it to a black door panel, headliner and whatever else he was going to change

but the car is coded for green interior

i used to know gary L, and have known pete for about 30 years now (boy am i old, lol)
, and have seen the data tag in person, but i never took pics of it or wrote doen the info

i believe pete was informed of it being the playboy car by doug schellingers dad when he
called to register the car with the club

hemi68charger

Quote from: TONY on December 09, 2011, 02:27:46 PM
gary L had put white seats in the car and but left the other interior parts green, except for the items that he started to paint black for his plans of converting it to a black door panel, headliner and whatever else he was going to change

but the car is coded for green interior

i used to know gary L, and have known pete for about 30 years now (boy am i old, lol)
, and have seen the data tag in person, but i never took pics of it or wrote doen the info

i believe pete was informed of it being the playboy car by doug schellingers dad when he
called to register the car with the club

Thanks Tony.....  :2thumbs:  Call me religious, but I'm a good judge of character and I believe Pete as I've eluded to..... I go on faith..
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

nascarxx29

Was curious looked over the converted daytona back lot pictures.To see if any had black door handle pushs.Or if they might have appeared black in the old picture

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 09, 2011, 01:15:27 PM

Yeap,,, and the grass is always greener on the other side. Human nature for the most part is always trying to "one-up" someone or "disprove" this or that in their closest "Sherlock Holmes" impersonation.

i'll assume that is directed at me, since it paraphrases my statement that referred to the photo itself.

my comments on this thread have nothing to do with one upping anyone. the only thing i intended to address is the photo in the article. in my opinion, the image in the magazine is not the way it was captured on film. there is no conspiracy theory behind a photograper or advertising agency doing what they do on a regular basis.

also, questioning whether the pictured car is pete's or not, was not focus of my comment regarding production figures. the exact comment i referred to is

Quote from: Wingnut426 on March 18, 2006, 08:38:39 PM
According to records kept by the Daytona/Superbird Auto Club, there were 34 F6 Bright Green Daytonas built, only 3 had green interior. Of the 3, 2 had black wings and one had white.

there is nothing wrong or misleading in his old comment. 3 of the 34 known f6 cars at the time came optioned that way. i have also read, on this very forum, that there are 43 known cars painted in f6. any of those since added to the earlier total could have a green interior. how does that question someone's character? quite simply, it doesn't.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Wingnut426

Hi everyone.  I just sent Tony D'ag a pic of my trim tag.  He is going to post it for me.
(I have Webtv, can't post pics myself.) Gary Lazar did start to change the interior color to white and painted right over the gauges with black paint! I had a heck of a time wiping off the dashpads etc. with laquar thinner. I will look for pics from when I bought the car. It was in brown primer when I got it.  I did not get a build sheet with the car, but Gary Lazar has several buildsheets from wingcars he owned in a photo album. I tried to contact him several years ago, but he didn't respond to me.
I spoke with Ray Rixman from Ray Rixman's Dodge back in 1991. He was the owner of the dealership that my car came from.  He said he ordered the car with white interior and when it arrived it had green interior!
He tried to give the car back to Chrysler, but they said it was close to what he ordered and to live with it.  He said the car sat for a year before it was sold off the lot. Any requests for info please feel free to e-mail me direct or call anytime.
860-350-6864  Pete  AKA Wingnut
HEMI Daytona Convertible

moparstuart

Quote from: Wingnut426 on December 09, 2011, 03:29:53 PM
Hi everyone.  I just sent Tony D'ag a pic of my trim tag.  He is going to post it for me.
(I have Webtv, can post pics myself.) Gary Lazar did start to change the interior color to white and painted right over the gauges with black paint! I had a heck of a time wiping off the dashpads etc. with laquar thinner. I will look for pics from when I bought the car. It was in brown primer when I got it.  I did not get a build sheet with the car, but Gary Lazar has several buildsheets from wingcars he owned in a photo album. I tried to contact him several years ago, but he didn't respond to me.
I spoke with Ray Rixman from Ray Rixman's Dodge back in 1991. He was the owner of the dealership that my car came from.  He said he ordered the car with white interior and when it arrived it had green interior!
He tried to give the car back to Chrysler, but they said it was close to what he ordered and to live with it.  He said the car sat for a year before it was sold off the lot. Any requests for info please feel free to e-mail me direct or call anytime.
860-350-6864  Pete  AKA Wingnut
Pete is a great guy and if you need a correct  jack , jack hold down ,or jack tool  call pete his are awesome .   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   oh and the convertible daytona is the bomb too !!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on December 09, 2011, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 09, 2011, 01:15:27 PM

i'll assume that is directed at me, since it paraphrases my statement that referred to the photo itself.

my comments on this thread have nothing to do with one upping anyone. the only thing i intended to address is the photo in the article. in my opinion, the image in the magazine is not the way it was captured on film. there is no conspiracy theory behind a photograper or advertising agency doing what they do on a regular basis.

also, questioning whether the pictured car is pete's or not, was not focus of my comment regarding production figures. the exact comment i referred to is

Quote from: Wingnut426 on March 18, 2006, 08:38:39 PM
According to records kept by the Daytona/Superbird Auto Club, there were 34 F6 Bright Green Daytonas built, only 3 had green interior. Of the 3, 2 had black wings and one had white.

there is nothing wrong or misleading in his old comment. 3 of the 34 known f6 cars at the time came optioned that way. i have also read, on this very forum, that there are 43 known cars painted in f6. any of those since added to the earlier total could have a green interior. how does that question someone's character? quite simply, it doesn't.

La la la la la.. wrong.......

It's directed at anyone who continues to question the car. This song and dance has been played many times before you ever questioned it. So, no, it wasn't directed at you or anyone else persay......... I don't focus too much on the little things nowadays...... Life's too short.............  Plus, this was 40 years ago!!!  Nobody at Mamopar gave a flip about whether a Daytona had a black door handle knob and the direction of sunlight during a photoshoot. Now, the photographer might have.. If they cared, then they would have made sure all of them would have had the proper '69 woodgrained shifter knob for the console that was the norm for the '69 model year. Or...... Just maybe, there's some TSB that states they should all have chrome knobs....  :icon_smile_big:

OK, it's almost time to go home, get the wife for a little Christmas party, get the baby-sitter over to the house for the kiddos and have a few drinks... Luckily Kim's always the designated driver...  :angel:
Troy

gtx6970

All I'm asking is ,  how ANY Daytona could be called the Playboy car , UNLESS the vin of said Playboy car is known

And earlier is was stated the Playboy car was a 440 auto,, Ok with 14" tires we can assume it was not a Hemi car, but HOW is it known it was an auto?
Are all Daytona vins accounted for in regards to color , engine , trans , etc etc etc ?
I read the 46 Daytonas , is this built or just cars known cars to exist?

I don't follow wing cars , so please someone educate me here .
Not bad mouting anyone, but to me that  'unless' the vin of the so called  Playboy car is known, everything is a guess.

nascarxx29

Im not exactly sure how many are F6 Green interior daytona exists 3 or 4 ? .That along without the playboy significance is rare.  Vins and or buildsheet would nail it down.Trying to narrow it down without hardcore documentation. :brickwall:

As far a shifter knobs and ? year
Had this saved on the computer if this archive picture is accurate checkout the shift knobs left picture a 68 with woodgrain shifter knob. It also has the plastic combline instrument panel texture and center dash medallion between tach and speedo 1968 vintage :shruggy: Picture on right 69 vintage head rests and chrome knob

NOS exterior door handles were installed with the correct black buttons found on 1968 and early 1969 cars.
http://www.hoffmanswinnerscircle.com/69rtconvertible/Exterior_Related_Photos.htm

TONY

here is petes trim tag

i hope this helps

69_500

Just a note here but there is a clearly a shadow under the man and a small one visible under the woman as well. Looking at the shadow lines of everything else in the picture I'd guess the time of the shoot to be somewhere around noon. As most of the shadows are falling nearly straight down. The reason the benches shadow appears larger is because of how wide the top of the bench is in comparison to the width of the man. Bench may only be 2' tall but its about 2' wide and 4-5' long as well. Man maybe 2' wide accross shoulders but front to back I'd guess 10-12". Makes for a much smaller shadow. The grass on the other hand is a little different. It was 1969 people did not cut grass to intentionally make lines in the yard as they do now. Things were a bit tougher in the size of mowers as well. Most people I know used to cut their grass by making multiple passes at the edge to make sure to blow grass clippings back into yards instead of on sidewalks. Which would appear to be what they did then started alternating passes after that giving it a lined look.

maxwellwedge

Frame 57 of the  Zapruder film......

Redbird

I went back and read the post from the beginning, so with my limited intelligence I could understand it a little.

If there was only one F6 green car with a green interior, white wing, and it had the right options; it seems to me that is as close as anyone is going to get unless Miss January had a separate stash of conflicting pictures in her hutch.

I have the magazine, I did look at the pictures. My copy of the Daytona picture, That wasn't the only picture I looked at-and I read the articles, shows windrows in the grass-just not as dark. Whoever mowed the lawn probably started mowing at the sidewalk and not so much grass had formed the windrows from being thrown. The shadows seem pretty consistent to me, I don't think there was a second spitter.

If someone knows it was the U of Wisconsin, that is excellent.

I'd guess Kermit Johnson was a freelancer or the photo was done by Roy Ross ( I'm not by my memorabilia so I may be a little off on the name-that has the name of the ad agency that Chrysler used at the time, which I believe is still in business). Either way It doesn't look like a high dollar cut and paste photo, rather a simple outdoor shot on a overcast day. There probably are or were other shots taken, who knows if they are around.

The shadows of the benches are wide, the people not so much because that's how things photograph. No second spitter.

Lets find another car in the old ads. The Tor-Red White, bench seat, 2 outside mirror car in the 1970 Wynn's ad.

BigBlockSam

QuoteOK, it's almost time to go home, get the wife for a little Christmas party, get the baby-sitter over to the house for the kiddos and have a few drinks... Luckily Kim's always the designated driver..

hey pick me up on your way . i could use some drinks and a good Christmas party to go to  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 10, 2011, 05:00:13 PM
QuoteOK, it's almost time to go home, get the wife for a little Christmas party, get the baby-sitter over to the house for the kiddos and have a few drinks... Luckily Kim's always the designated driver..

hey pick me up on your way . i could use some drinks and a good Christmas party to go to  :cheers:

Turns out, Kim had way too much fun and I was the designated driver... Good for her, she needed some fun relief after her long week.... Sorry Stu, you missed a good one............. Elvis was even there and he was good............
Troy