News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Stripes

Started by JMF, September 27, 2012, 04:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

If removing a red stripe from a black car, do you think it would leave any kind of mark ? Not sure how long it's been on there, also any tips on sucessfully removing it ? Pic below, Thanks

JB400

Was it put on before the clear coat or after?

Ghoste

You sure you want it off, it looks pretty good on there to me.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Fred

Quote from: Ghoste on September 27, 2012, 04:34:45 PM
You sure you want it off, it looks pretty good on there to me.

That's what I was thinking. Looks really good. (something about red on black)

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

4cruzin

Quote from: cdr on September 27, 2012, 06:23:05 PM
yes it will leave a mark

I would think a good wheel job and all would be good.  Try a clay bar and then some compound and should be OK.  :scratchchin:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

DC_1

Indygenerallee

Use a 3M Stripe remover wheel and it will not damage your paint and then buff, it's a chance on whether it will leave a "ghost" stripe.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

JMF

Thanks for the replies, I think the stripes look ok but I prefer the cleaner look without them, I prefer Chargers without Bumblebee stripes too, but that's just my opinion

From what I can tell the stripes look quite new so hopefully they haven't been on there too long, i'm not sure how long ago the car was painted so I can't say for sure, it's been here in England since 1973

I'm due to get some paintwork done on the car soon so I think i'm just going to remove them and if it leaves a mark i'll have to get it sorted whilst it's in the paintshop, a few more pics

JB400

tan top

use a hot air gun  , warm it up a little as you go , don't go too close !! or hold in  one spot , keep the gun moving  get the stripe started with your finger nail , or a bondo/ filler spredder  , then peel !!
remove any glue with  paint shop degreaser . panel wipe !!
 have had stripes peel paint off before , depends on who & how good the prep was under the paint  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

68r/t

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 27, 2012, 10:26:45 PM
Use a 3M Stripe remover wheel and it will not damage your paint and then buff, it's a chance on whether it will leave a "ghost" stripe.

They are the best I have found, just keep the wheel moving so you don't burn the paint.

JMF

Hi guys, quick update, removed the stripes today and they came off quite easy, no mark left or anything so I don't think they have been on there too long, it looks better now I think, thanks for the replies and advice

JB400

Looks good.   :2thumbs:  Glad you didn't run  into any trouble.  Do you own a shammy?

Fred

I've got to admit it does look really good without.  :2thumbs:
Good to hear you didn't have any trouble with getting them off.  How did you end up doing it. I'm curious to know which method worked.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 02, 2012, 12:38:58 AM
I've got to admit it does look really good without.  :2thumbs:
Good to hear you didn't have any trouble with getting them off.  How did you end up doing it. I'm curious to know which method worked.
I'm sorry Fred.  What he used will not get you out of jail any quicker.  You'll just have to keep your stripes for while.  :icon_smile_big: :smilielol:

JMF

Haha yeah i've got a leather but hasn't stopped raining here, will take some better pics soon

They came off so easy that hardly any effort was required, I just got a card to get the edges up to get started then started slowly peeling

I've removed an aftermarket tint on a rear window before and it all came off in little bits and I had a feeling that was going to be the same but it turned out ok

JB400

Your stripe was new enough that it wouldn't have broken up.  If it was older, then it probably would.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 02, 2012, 12:41:53 AM
Good to hear you didn't have any trouble with getting them off.  How did you end up doing it. I'm curious to know which method worked.
I'm sorry Fred.  What he used will not get you out of jail any quicker.  You'll just have to keep your stripes for while.  :icon_smile_big: :smilielol:

I'll grin and bear it..................after all, I've got you in the cell with me.  :icon_smile_big:

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 02:43:29 AM
I'm sorry Fred.  What he used will not get you out of jail any quicker.  You'll just have to keep your stripes for while.  :icon_smile_big: :smilielol:

I'll grin and bear it..................after all, I've got you in the cell with me.  :icon_smile_big:
I get dibs on top bunk :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 03, 2012, 03:54:01 AM
Quote from: Fred on October 03, 2012, 02:43:29 AM
I'm sorry Fred.  What he used will not get you out of jail any quicker.  You'll just have to keep your stripes for while.  :icon_smile_big: :smilielol:

I'll grin and bear it..................after all, I've got you in the cell with me.  :icon_smile_big:
I get dibs on top bunk :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:

It's yours  :cheers:.............view's way better from the bottom.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

superbirdtom

Quote from: JMF on October 01, 2012, 10:16:07 AM
Hi guys, quick update, removed the stripes today and they came off quite easy, no mark left or anything so I don't think they have been on there too long, it looks better now I think, thanks for the replies and advice

[/q            uote]          It does look a lot meaner without the stripe.   You could get a matt black stripe for it > or a black reflective one.    But yeah the red had to go ,and your lucky it came off so easily.   Ncie car.

Indygenerallee

Looks 10 times better without the stripe!!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Ghoste

I like it better with the stripe.  Not my car though so my opinion amounts to less than nothing.  :cheers: :2thumbs:

JMF

Got my Challenger back from paint, pics below, it more or less turned into a top half respray as some rot was found under the rear spoiler when removed plus a few other little bits I weren't happy with,

JB400