News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electronic Ignition Conversion

Started by ChargerRob, July 20, 2005, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerRob

I just got an electronic ignition kit from Mopar Performance. How hard is it to install? Is there anything I need to do before I install it. Thanks, Robert
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

NHCharger

I converted both my Chargers, 318 & 383. Just follow the directions, piece of cake.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ghoste

And if they are still sending out the old instruction sheets with those, don't get too hung up on the ballast resistor part.   The old sheets called for wiring in a four prong resistor but they only send a two.   The two is the one to use with the new kit.   It looks like a mistake in the parts or instructions but it's the instructions.

NHCharger

Just converted my 318 this spring, directions were for a two prong ballast.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Chryco Psycho

do not use the green wire , just hook blue to 12V & hook up the coil, mount the box make sure it is grounded & tight  & install the dist & reset timing

Ghoste

Why not the green.  Just out of curiousity.

8WHEELER

The green wire is just not needed, plus if you plan on this looking stock at all I would consider mounting the ignition box under the battery or under the dash so as not to be seen it is a very clean look. Lots of people I know are doing it with no problems,

I would also use the chrome box from Mopar, the orange boxes are prone to go bad, I have used the chrome boxes since 1980 and have never had any problems, plus its made  for higher RPM's.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Ghoste

Okay, what was the green wire formerly used for?

ChargerRob

The conversion kit I purchased came with a orange box. I like the idea of mounting under the battery, but will the wire assy reach there? So the green wire is not needed. I plan on installing it this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes. :smoke:
Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

Chryco Psycho

you will have to extend the wires to install under the battery , make sure you maintain the polarity of the pick up coil wores
the green wire was a low voltage feed to the ECU , the new ECUs have the resister built into the ECU & the 5th pin on the ECU is eliminated so hooking it up does nothing

Just 6T9 CHGR

When extending the harness make sure you solder all the connections and use the same gauge wire as well
Chris' '69 Charger R/T