News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Storing a Daytona in a Shipping Container, Good or Bad???

Started by johnnyseville, October 06, 2012, 09:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGIN IT

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 06, 2012, 01:08:38 PM
Just called one of these companies that makes prefab garages, a 20x25 with 2 garage doors, delivered and setup for only 5K, seems cheap.  'Even certified with paperwork if a building permit is needed.  May have a friend with huge property that might let me set it there, of course will owe him my first born,but what the hell, can always have more kids.  If I cannot find a conventional garage this may be the way to go. Sounds good to you guys?  This is the link of the company ...

http://www.carportgallery.com/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=Metal-Garages

Nice.
Hey if you want to pay for it, you can drop a 2 car garage at my place, that way we can house both wing cars in it  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

winged69

I am from canada and have the best an worst conditions to store a car. From experience storing a car in a container that is not ventilated , will be like making it a  freeze pop as it will have  condensation on it all the time. If a container is the choice ensure it is ventilated and park the car on a sheet of plastic before the temperature gets cold. A friend of mine stored a Harley in a wood shed . he would not listen about condensation so when the temp warmed up one january after a cold snap , we looked in his shed and the harley was covered in frost. Could not even see any color but white. I went to look at my daytona and it was dry , except that the underside of the plastic i parked it on was full of condensation. .

Another piece that is interesting is taking a grounding rod, hook a piece of copper wire to it and use an alligator clip to fasten it to a piece of bare metal on your car. A friend in Alberta says his brother has stored a car outside for years and since it is earth gounded it is not rusting. And one last tidbit is use charcoal briquettes to absorb moisture in your car. Dessicant products are hard to find, but the charcoal (non-selfstarting) will absorb the same way. Put them on a pie plate in the car. Once in awhile put them in your oven to dry them out. They can be used again and again. . 

I can remember getting my firsy daytona in 1985 and parking it in a garage and  going out when the temp warmed up. i could of had a shower from the condensation. The plastic really worked.

johnnyseville

Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 06, 2012, 07:12:00 PM
Just called one of these companies that makes prefab garages, a 20x25 with 2 garage doors, delivered and setup for only 5K, seems cheap.  'Even certified with paperwork if a building permit is needed.  May have a friend with huge property that might let me set it there, of course will owe him my first born,but what the hell, can always have more kids.  If I cannot find a conventional garage this may be the way to go. Sounds good to you guys?  This is the link of the company ...

http://www.carportgallery.com/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=Metal-Garages

Nice.
Hey if you want to pay for it, you can drop a 2 car garage at my place, that way we can house both wing cars in it  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Where do you live, seriously?
too many to list!

johnnyseville

Quote from: winged69 on October 07, 2012, 01:24:02 AM
I am from canada and have the best an worst conditions to store a car. From experience storing a car in a container that is not ventilated , will be like making it a  freeze pop as it will have  condensation on it all the time. If a container is the choice ensure it is ventilated and park the car on a sheet of plastic before the temperature gets cold. A friend of mine stored a Harley in a wood shed . he would not listen about condensation so when the temp warmed up one january after a cold snap , we looked in his shed and the harley was covered in frost. Could not even see any color but white. I went to look at my daytona and it was dry , except that the underside of the plastic i parked it on was full of condensation. .

Another piece that is interesting is taking a grounding rod, hook a piece of copper wire to it and use an alligator clip to fasten it to a piece of bare metal on your car. A friend in Alberta says his brother has stored a car outside for years and since it is earth gounded it is not rusting. And one last tidbit is use charcoal briquettes to absorb moisture in your car. Dessicant products are hard to find, but the charcoal (non-selfstarting) will absorb the same way. Put them on a pie plate in the car. Once in awhile put them in your oven to dry them out. They can be used again and again. . 

I can remember getting my firsy daytona in 1985 and parking it in a garage and  going out when the temp warmed up. i could of had a shower from the condensation. The plastic really worked.

Thanks for these ideas, never heard of any of them, but seems no harm in trying, unless someone tries to start a BBQ in my back seat with the charcoal!  Definitely will use these ideas regardless where I store it.
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 07, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 06, 2012, 07:12:00 PM
Just called one of these companies that makes prefab garages, a 20x25 with 2 garage doors, delivered and setup for only 5K, seems cheap.  'Even certified with paperwork if a building permit is needed.  May have a friend with huge property that might let me set it there, of course will owe him my first born,but what the hell, can always have more kids.  If I cannot find a conventional garage this may be the way to go. Sounds good to you guys?  This is the link of the company ...

Nice.
Hey if you want to pay for it, you can drop a 2 car garage at my place, that way we can house both wing cars in it  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Where do you live, seriously?

I live near Fishkill, NY.

Regarding keeping moisture out /away from your car, I have used dessicant packs, and Damp Rid i( they sell it at the Home Depot). They come in hanging bags that you can dispose of when you see it's full of moisture, and also packs you can put in your car. They are not overly perfumy, and have worked well over the years.

D

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!