News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission shop wrecked my Charger

Started by THE STIG, October 05, 2012, 06:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE STIG

I took my car to a shop for some tranny work it was laeking fluid and rolled in park. Some dumb kid thay had working there parked it on a hill and walked away and rolled into a building on thier lot and the back end hit a corner. It looks like the deck lid bumper and and valance will need replaced the valance was already rusted and shot to hell but the deck was good. It also looks like the passenger side quarter is bowed out slightly too. I already have a bumper,rocker panels and quarter skins but wasn't looking for a rear deck. If anybody has any insight or leads on some of these parts I would greatly appreciate it or PM me here. *Forgot to mention it's a 70 Charger*

Ryan

Well I hope they are paying for it.

For what it's worth the AMD decklid I ordered fit very very well. It's one their better parts.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

THE STIG

Quote from: Ryan on October 05, 2012, 06:32:56 PM

For what it's worth the AMD decklid I ordered fit very very well. It's one their better parts.

So far he seems like he intends to make this right and for one reason or another the kid isn't there anymore. And he mentioned how upset he is at the whole situation since it's a transmission shop and it's not the first time thay've had a car with problems engaging in park. What about the AMD rear valance, habe you used one of those?

bull

Fred

Unbloodybelievable!   :brickwall: :brickwall:  What a heartache.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Ryan

Quote from: THE STIG on October 05, 2012, 07:09:18 PM

So far he seems like he intends to make this right and for one reason or another the kid isn't there anymore. And he mentioned how upset he is at the whole situation since it's a transmission shop and it's not the first time thay've had a car with problems engaging in park. What about the AMD rear valance, habe you used one of those?

The original amd valance sucks. They recently retooled it though and it's much better. Just make sure you are getting the new version.

2014 viper TA

charger Downunder

Wow that would piss me off. Dont they know what a handbrake is.
[/quote]

THE STIG

Quote from: charger Downunder on October 05, 2012, 10:56:49 PM
Wow that would piss me off. Dont they know what a handbrake is.

Well actually the E brake is rusted too but I told them that when I gave it to them and that it would sometimes roll in park ehich is why I had it there in the first place.

THE STIG

Quote from: Ryan on October 05, 2012, 10:47:32 PM
Quote from: THE STIG on October 05, 2012, 07:09:18 PM

The original amd valance sucks. They recently retooled it though and it's much better. Just make sure you are getting the new version.

Thank you I will definetly keep that in mind.

70 Charger RT

I have a trunk lid available.  It is in pretty straight condition however there is some rust along the seem at the rear edge.  I'm open to offers.  Plus shipping from Alberta.

Randall
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

69rtse4spd

That sucks, make sure they understand that you will pick the shop to do the work, with in reason. Hope all goes well.

Ghoste

Are they still going to fix your tranny?

tan top

awww man thats a bummer !! :brickwall:

Quote from: Ghoste on October 09, 2012, 08:57:51 PM
Are they still going to fix your tranny?

if it were me , would not let them anywhere near
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Ghoste

THE STIG

*UPDATE* The tranny shop called me today and told me it would cost $800 to fix the car and I owe them $300 for the tranny work. He also said they can get a deck lid which I assune would be the AMD since he called me a few days ago and asked me where to get one. I'm not really sure if the $800 they are talking about includes the deck lid and I don't see how it can since the AMD lid is about $600 and it also needs a new bumper and rear valance. So he offered to let me come in and get the car and take $500 I declined and told him that I want the car fixed. The valance was already rusted pretty bad and would have needed replaced anyhow and I already have a bumper as the one thats on it was dented before (more so now though). I haven't told them this yet but I am willing to go 50/50 on the valance since it was already shot and cover the cost of a rechrome on the extra bumper I already have. Does this $800 figure sound accurate? I have more pics I'll try and post to give you guys a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Ghoste

It sounds light to me, is there paint work involved?  Does he not have insurance?  I also like the fact that you still owe him money for the trans work, I have to say I get a bad feeling about where this could go.  Fingers crossed.

bill440rt

I agree. The shop should be well insured to cover mishaps like this.
I would ask who his insurer is. If not, report it to your insurance company & they will likely subro it against his. It is no fault of yours so it should not affect your premiums.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JB400

I under the asumption that you're going to have a hard time with this.  You admit that your car has some rust issues on the valance and probably behind it.  Find out if the figure he gave you is his or his insurance.  His insurance company is going to use the rust issues as an excuse to keep from coughing up the money they should.  You need to get an estimate of what it actually costs to get your bumper rechromed and to get the valance put on, then have a beer summit and discuss the money issue.  You might consider having him pay at least 50% of the cost.  Yes, it was damaged on his lot, and yes, it was damaged under his care.  But, you brought him a rusty vehicle.  It takes a lot less effort to damage a rusty car than it does a solid car.  My neighbor was parking his 69 Mach 1 under a tree and accidentally hit the tree. Yes, dumb move.  But his car is a rust bucket and it did considerable damage to it. He was only going at a crawl.

Consider what I said, and for the most part, be reasonable.  He probably will go 50/50.

Ghoste

50/50?  If it were your rusty vehicle they wrecked would you be okay with it?

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 12, 2012, 10:28:16 AM
50/50?  If it were your rusty vehicle they wrecked would you be okay with it?
You obviously ain't looking at 3 dimensionally.  No I would not be ok with it.  But, he left a car that was not 100% structurally sound in the care of another person.  I will admit that they should have chocked the wheels so that it didn't roll back.  What are you expecting, take a rusty ride to someone that wrecks it, and expect them to give you a 100% restoration at their expense?  That won't happen here or there or anywhere.  Personally, I think he should have at least have fixed the parking brake first before leaving it at the tranny shop.  I said at least 50/50 because it's reasonable.  And I think that he should be rationable about it.  And, in my opinion, he is. He already has a bumper, working on getting a valance and a deck lid.  If he gets a quote of what it takes to put these parts on and refurbished, the shop owner should as least pay 50% of the cost.  Now, if he had the body redone BEFORE he took it to the shop, than 100%.  Agree or disagree

Ghoste

You and I have different ideas of what reasonable is.

JB400

Quote from: Ghoste on October 12, 2012, 12:21:09 PM
You and I have different ideas of what reasonable is.
How about an explanation.  What would you consider a reasonable offer?

Mopar Nut

Maybe 50/50 on parts, but labor should be covered 100%. And repaired at a body shop, not the tranny shop.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

nvrbdn

he doesnt want to turn it in to insurance and raise his rates. if he has had problems in the past, more issues could cause his rates to sky rocket.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 12, 2012, 05:44:13 PM
Maybe 50/50 on parts, but labor should be covered 100%. And repaired at a body shop, not the tranny shop.

That I could live with.

THE STIG

So I guess the guy who threw out the $800 figure is actually like the #2 guy there but I was led to believe (at least that's how it sounded) that those numbers were coming from the boss. This mourning I got a call from the boss but I work nights so I was asleep and missed the call but he left me a voicemail and assured me that he would "make this right". As for the 50\50 on the parts I'm only willing to cover the valance, my deck lid was perfectly fine and a replacement is completly on them as is anything else that they damaged. Since I already have a bumper, quarter panels, and rockers I wont make them pay for somthing I all ready have but if my quarters need replaced as a result of thier neglegance then I would expect them to cover the labor costs.

Ghoste

JB400

Glad to hear it's working out.  Sounds like no one lost their cool.  I like honest people doing honest deals when there's a mishap. :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

JB400

Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 13, 2012, 11:40:13 PM
I 2nd or 3rd that.
Should just go ahead and put it into 4th and on into overdrive :nana: :nana:

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 13, 2012, 11:41:19 PM
I 2nd or 3rd that.

I'd try reverse.  :nana:  You need to back it up a pace. 

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 14, 2012, 01:33:58 AM
I 2nd or 3rd that.

You forgot to let up on the brake.

Fred

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 14, 2012, 01:37:52 AM
I 2nd or 3rd that.

That's because I'm stopping while I'm ahead.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 14, 2012, 01:49:26 AM
Quote from: stroker400 wedge on October 14, 2012, 01:37:52 AM
I 2nd or 3rd that.

That's because I'm stopping while I'm ahead.
And that puts you behind then.

Fred

Sorry THE STIG, didn't mean to carjack your thread.

JB400

Quote from: Fred on October 14, 2012, 02:12:14 AM
Sorry THE STIG, didn't mean to carjack your thread.
It happens.  I just wanted to throw in a joke. It got a little out of hand.  I'll be more careful next time

THE STIG

I think someone said "Glad it's all going to work out" well it's far from worked out I've been at work all weekend and the tranny shop has been closed. Just to reiterate, I called and spoke to someone at the shop on Thursday and he said I owe them $300 for the tranny work and the damage was $800 so he offered to let me come get the car and $500 and be done with it he also mentioned that they could "fix it there" I said no to the $500 I want my car fixed. The next the owner called me but I missed the call as I work nights and was asleep. He said he intends to "make this right" and call him back but I was in no mood to talk to him on Friday so I let it go. Today I'm goin to call an associate of my mom's who has a body shop but no longer works on old cars but I'll ask him to go check it out for me and that will hopefully do 2 things, 1. Give me a real idea of what needs to be fixed and how much it will cost and 2. Tell these clowns at the tranny shop I'm not playing around. I'm not looking for a total restoration here but I do want the damage they did fixed. My car may not win any trophys at any car shows but it is mine and they broke it therefore they should fix it.

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

JB400

Glad to hear your not going to just settle.  Keep us posted. :2thumbs:

Fred

Quote from: THE STIG on October 15, 2012, 03:37:40 AM
I think someone said "Glad it's all going to work out" well it's far from worked out I've been at work all weekend and the tranny shop has been closed. Just to reiterate, I called and spoke to someone at the shop on Thursday and he said I owe them $300 for the tranny work and the damage was $800 so he offered to let me come get the car and $500 and be done with it he also mentioned that they could "fix it there" I said no to the $500 I want my car fixed. The next the owner called me but I missed the call as I work nights and was asleep. He said he intends to "make this right" and call him back but I was in no mood to talk to him on Friday so I let it go. Today I'm goin to call an associate of my mom's who has a body shop but no longer works on old cars but I'll ask him to go check it out for me and that will hopefully do 2 things, 1. Give me a real idea of what needs to be fixed and how much it will cost and 2. Tell these clowns at the tranny shop I'm not playing around. I'm not looking for a total restoration here but I do want the damage they did fixed. My car may not win any trophys at any car shows but it is mine and they broke it therefore they should fix it.

Good on you. Stand your ground.  As you say they need to fix what they broke and it needs to be fixed properly..........no short cuts.

THE STIG

I called the body guy yesterday but he was to busy to go down there and look at it so in a few hours Im going to the tranny shop to get the car and take it to my body guy. The tranny shop still hasnt tried to reach me since last week so this may get interesting.

Ghoste

Mopar Nut

Take pictures of the damage and car at the shop, you never know.

THE STIG

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on October 09, 2012, 08:08:40 AM
I have a trunk lid available.  It is in pretty straight condition however there is some rust along the seem at the rear edge.  I'm open to offers.  Plus shipping from Alberta.

Randall

Do you have more pics of that lid?

Fred

Ghoste

JB400

Hard Charger

Make out a police report and get a estimate for the repair. This is the first step. Stop guessing.
You seem like you are being reasonable about things and he certainly is going to try to be.It is in his best interest to handle this quietly and between the 2 of you. You are the only one that can escalate things if not happy.

Truth is the shop is responsible for the damage. They know it. You have a opportunity to improve your car at a discounted rate. You cannot return it to the condition in which you brought it to that tranny shop, and probably would not if you had your choice. You may not have been looking to do this now but is the same as if you took the car out and totaled it. its still totaled and the payout would be depreciated on condition. (unless you have agreed value, then just go to the insurance agent right away and stop all this crap)

If the lose occurred in traffic it would not be as difficult. The shop is Negotiating with you.

Repair a Qtr, replace a valance and corners also means trunk floor and supports and maybe another qtr repair. i paid $9500 for that work 2 years ago, and that did not include paint.

Mopar Nut

Isn't there a statue of limitations or something being so long.

Hard Charger

shoudn.t be. makes it look like you have just trying to work things out.
There's always small claims court.

Liability is clear. The value of the loss is not.

THE STIG

Sorry I've been busy and forgot to come back and give all the updates. I got the car back right after Christmas and the shop that fixed it opted to fix the deck lid rather than replace it. I went in with an open mind and was very plesantly surprised by the job they did. It actually looks like it never happened. I got to talking to the guy about replacing my quarters and rockers too, and he said I'll need a new trunck floor and outer wheel houses to make it all right. Can anyone recomend a good trunk floor? I've heard the AMD is about a 1/2" short.

Hard Charger

i just had AMD full floor installed, it went well. the Valance corners were difficult.

Ryan

Quote from: THE STIG on February 02, 2013, 02:25:34 AM
Sorry I've been busy and forgot to come back and give all the updates. I got the car back right after Christmas and the shop that fixed it opted to fix the deck lid rather than replace it. I went in with an open mind and was very plesantly surprised by the job they did. It actually looks like it never happened. I got to talking to the guy about replacing my quarters and rockers too, and he said I'll need a new trunck floor and outer wheel houses to make it all right. Can anyone recomend a good trunk floor? I've heard the AMD is about a 1/2" short.

The trunk floor was short for me but others have said it slid right in. Go figure.
The corners from AMD are great in my opinion. The extensions make things difficult and people often think that the corners are the problem. The extensions just need some lovin to tighten them up, and you'll need to slice the quarters to get them to line up to the extensions as the quarters are a little short at the bottom.

2014 viper TA