News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Storing a Daytona in a Shipping Container, Good or Bad???

Started by johnnyseville, October 06, 2012, 09:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyseville

Ok, these damn cars are super long, tough to find a suitable garage.  Currently using a friends garage, but still looking for my own.  My friend suggested using a shipping container, the type they transport stuff on ships.  Has anyone done that?  Is it a crazy idea.  I am not comfortable about it, but what do I know.  I read somewhere on another forum they need to be vented to prevent excess humidity.  Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
too many to list!

1970Moparmann

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 06, 2012, 09:16:24 AM
Ok, these damn cars are super long, tough to find a suitable garage.  Currently using a friends garage, but still looking for my own.  My friend suggested using a shipping container, the type they transport stuff on ships.  Has anyone done that?  Is it a crazy idea.  I am not comfortable about it, but what do I know.  I read somewhere on another forum they need to be vented to prevent excess humidity.  Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Personally, I would see if there are any indoor storage places you can keep it.  Join a local Mopar club and look for alternative options versus a container.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

johnnyseville

I found a guy that has a dealership that rents indoor spaces for exotic cars, it is indoor and heated, but multiples cars are in there.  Never thought about something like this, always had my own private garage.  Hate to have other people peeking under the cover and who knows what.  Is this a viable alternative?  :shruggy:
too many to list!

1970Moparmann

Personally, I wouldn't.  You have a rare car, and treat it with respect. :2thumbs:   

In a container, it's easier to be stolen, mice and creatures getting into it, acceptable to mold and other.   

Depending on shape, if you have any contacts at a local Dodge dealership, maybe you can strike up a deal for them to put it in the showroom as an attention grabber.  Make sure they have security and whatever you decide make sure your insurance company knows where it is.  I have seen some policies have a clause in it that it HAS TO BE in your garage for coverage.  If it is somewhere else, make sure it has coverage.

I'm looking for an Aero car, any chance you want to sell? :2thumbs:  That will solve your problem fast... :cheers:

johnnyseville

I feel the same way, don't want someone poking around, which I am sure will happen.  I keep checking Craigslist multiple times a day for something to pop up, but they are not long enough.  Selling would solve my problem, but haven't even gotten the chance to enjoy it yet, maybe in few years.  Guess its back to my search, at least its in a good location right now, but do not want to wear out my welcome.
too many to list!

1970Moparmann

No such thing as wear out your welcome.  Again, not to be the barrier of bad news either, but Craigslist is the last place I would go to. 

Where do you reside?

WELCOME.  Good people on this board.  Provide pictures and details of your ride.  This site has a bunch of Aero owners who will provide any help you need. 

The first step is let us help you find a place to store your car.  Provide city and state and you'll probably be surprised at the options people will come up with.  :2thumbs:

Mike

Kowal

Where do you live?   A few of us might be ale to help depending where you are, or offer storage ideas.
'69 Hemi Charger 500, '70 U Code Challenger R/T
(These two and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

"P. J. O'Rourke:  The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

johnnyseville

I am in NYC, Queens.  Lots of garages for rent around here, but all too short so far.  If anyone knows a location within a decent driving distance I will grab it, regardless of cost. Just got the car, haven't taken pics of it yet, but will soon and post them. Was even thinking of one of these storage warehouses, where people store their stuff.  They have a spot for a car 10x25, but it is quite a distance, 50 miles, would like it closer if possible.
too many to list!

oldcarnut

I wouldn't store one in there unless it was vented.  I have several containors at work that I store stuff in and can tell you that the heat build up and humidity from moisture getting in them feels like it would suck your breath away in the summer when first opened up.   Granted those ones are not the best in condition and may leak rain in during heavy showers but, even during the dry and winter times, unless refurbed to store a car for long term, I think you'd be asking for troubles.  Just my experience with those ones  :Twocents:

johnnyseville

I agree with you 100%, not the proper way to store something of this value.  Was a headache finding the car, now seems like a bigger headache trying to find storage for it.  :brickwall:
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

Welcome fellow New Yawka ! :icon_smile_big:
I'm about 60 miles north of NYC in the Hudson Valley.

I feel your pain.
I'm going to have to "modify" the garage to fit the new wing car when it's  done.
I've used storage facilities before, no issues there, 10 X 25 unit .
If you go that route , make sure you have one facing out toward an open lane, as the turning radius along with the length of the car can make it difficult to get in and out of . Ask me how I know  :lol:  :Twocents:

cdr

DO NOT put it in a storage container! it will rust away & then you wont have to worry about it anymore cause it will be junk  :RantExplode:,just ship it down here to TEXAS i'll take good care of it  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

johnnyseville

Quote from: cdr on October 06, 2012, 12:02:22 PM
DO NOT put it in a storage container! it will rust away & then you wont have to worry about it anymore cause it will be junk  :RantExplode:,just ship it down here to TEXAS i'll take good care of it  :icon_smile_big:

What a Pal!  I knew I could count on you guys for help.  I am sure you will even go the extra mile and drive it around on a regular basis to make sure it stays in good condition!  How can I turn down this kind of offer, just send me pictures from time to time showing you cruising around.  :cheers:
too many to list!

Indygenerallee

Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

1970Moparmann

Daytona R/T SE

Buy a nice, new enclosed car trailer, park it your driveway and run a dehumidifier in it.

Put the car in the trailer and then chain a BIG dog to the trailer..

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on October 06, 2012, 12:51:29 PM
Buy a nice, new enclosed car trailer, park it your driveway and run a dehumidifier in it.

And put a car alarm system in it... :2thumbs:

johnnyseville

Already got the dogs, a Rotty and 2 English Mastiffs.  The Rotty even bites me!  I will be lucky if even I can get to the car.
too many to list!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on October 06, 2012, 12:53:41 PM

And put a car alarm system in it... :2thumbs:
:2thumbs:

Add a few motion lights and an AR-15 by the bedroom window and you're all set...

johnnyseville

Just called one of these companies that makes prefab garages, a 20x25 with 2 garage doors, delivered and setup for only 5K, seems cheap.  'Even certified with paperwork if a building permit is needed.  May have a friend with huge property that might let me set it there, of course will owe him my first born,but what the hell, can always have more kids.  If I cannot find a conventional garage this may be the way to go. Sounds good to you guys?  This is the link of the company ...

http://www.carportgallery.com/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=Metal-Garages
too many to list!

FJ5WING

sounds like a tough place to be...I would hate to have to store a car like that off site.

wingless now, but still around.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome :cheers:  Im representing Staten Island here....got a few locals around the 5 boros...

Post up some pics of your rides when you can :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

johnnyseville

Quote from: FJ5WING on October 06, 2012, 01:50:39 PM
sounds like a tough place to be...I would hate to have to store a car like that off site.

Can't limit yourself to just the storage you have available at your location, not in NYC, otherwise all I would have is a moped.  I know people who literally have multimillion dollar collections that store them in special sections of parking garages in the city.   
too many to list!

Ghoste

Another vote here for not putting it into a shipping container, for all of the reasons already mentioned.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 06, 2012, 01:08:38 PM
Just called one of these companies that makes prefab garages, a 20x25 with 2 garage doors, delivered and setup for only 5K, seems cheap.  'Even certified with paperwork if a building permit is needed.  May have a friend with huge property that might let me set it there, of course will owe him my first born,but what the hell, can always have more kids.  If I cannot find a conventional garage this may be the way to go. Sounds good to you guys?  This is the link of the company ...

http://www.carportgallery.com/cgi-bin/emAlbum.cgi?cmd=show_thumbs&path=Metal-Garages

Nice.
Hey if you want to pay for it, you can drop a 2 car garage at my place, that way we can house both wing cars in it  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

winged69

I am from canada and have the best an worst conditions to store a car. From experience storing a car in a container that is not ventilated , will be like making it a  freeze pop as it will have  condensation on it all the time. If a container is the choice ensure it is ventilated and park the car on a sheet of plastic before the temperature gets cold. A friend of mine stored a Harley in a wood shed . he would not listen about condensation so when the temp warmed up one january after a cold snap , we looked in his shed and the harley was covered in frost. Could not even see any color but white. I went to look at my daytona and it was dry , except that the underside of the plastic i parked it on was full of condensation. .

Another piece that is interesting is taking a grounding rod, hook a piece of copper wire to it and use an alligator clip to fasten it to a piece of bare metal on your car. A friend in Alberta says his brother has stored a car outside for years and since it is earth gounded it is not rusting. And one last tidbit is use charcoal briquettes to absorb moisture in your car. Dessicant products are hard to find, but the charcoal (non-selfstarting) will absorb the same way. Put them on a pie plate in the car. Once in awhile put them in your oven to dry them out. They can be used again and again. . 

I can remember getting my firsy daytona in 1985 and parking it in a garage and  going out when the temp warmed up. i could of had a shower from the condensation. The plastic really worked.

johnnyseville

Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 06, 2012, 07:12:00 PM

Nice.
Hey if you want to pay for it, you can drop a 2 car garage at my place, that way we can house both wing cars in it  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Where do you live, seriously?
too many to list!

johnnyseville

Quote from: winged69 on October 07, 2012, 01:24:02 AM
I am from canada and have the best an worst conditions to store a car. From experience storing a car in a container that is not ventilated , will be like making it a  freeze pop as it will have  condensation on it all the time. If a container is the choice ensure it is ventilated and park the car on a sheet of plastic before the temperature gets cold. A friend of mine stored a Harley in a wood shed . he would not listen about condensation so when the temp warmed up one january after a cold snap , we looked in his shed and the harley was covered in frost. Could not even see any color but white. I went to look at my daytona and it was dry , except that the underside of the plastic i parked it on was full of condensation. .

Another piece that is interesting is taking a grounding rod, hook a piece of copper wire to it and use an alligator clip to fasten it to a piece of bare metal on your car. A friend in Alberta says his brother has stored a car outside for years and since it is earth gounded it is not rusting. And one last tidbit is use charcoal briquettes to absorb moisture in your car. Dessicant products are hard to find, but the charcoal (non-selfstarting) will absorb the same way. Put them on a pie plate in the car. Once in awhile put them in your oven to dry them out. They can be used again and again. . 

I can remember getting my firsy daytona in 1985 and parking it in a garage and  going out when the temp warmed up. i could of had a shower from the condensation. The plastic really worked.

Thanks for these ideas, never heard of any of them, but seems no harm in trying, unless someone tries to start a BBQ in my back seat with the charcoal!  Definitely will use these ideas regardless where I store it.
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

Quote from: johnnyseville on October 07, 2012, 07:50:38 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 06, 2012, 07:12:00 PM
Just called one of these companies that makes prefab garages, a 20x25 with 2 garage doors, delivered and setup for only 5K, seems cheap.  'Even certified with paperwork if a building permit is needed.  May have a friend with huge property that might let me set it there, of course will owe him my first born,but what the hell, can always have more kids.  If I cannot find a conventional garage this may be the way to go. Sounds good to you guys?  This is the link of the company ...

Nice.
Hey if you want to pay for it, you can drop a 2 car garage at my place, that way we can house both wing cars in it  :icon_smile_big: :yesnod:

Where do you live, seriously?

I live near Fishkill, NY.

Regarding keeping moisture out /away from your car, I have used dessicant packs, and Damp Rid i( they sell it at the Home Depot). They come in hanging bags that you can dispose of when you see it's full of moisture, and also packs you can put in your car. They are not overly perfumy, and have worked well over the years.

D

1970Moparmann