News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trunk lid twisted (bend)

Started by jesterCT, October 14, 2012, 08:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesterCT

Hi Guys.

I have a problem , hopefully you can help me.

After I disassembled my 1971 Charger 2 years ago I decided today to sand the trunk lid. It was stored upright standing in one corner of my garage.

After I started sanding down the paint I became curious - something didn't look right.

So I put the trunk lid back on the car. And I saw this:  (see picture).

It looks like the trunk lid is bend somehow - twisted.

The upper right corner looks like it is bend about an inch to the inside. But I don't know how this could have happen.

But more important to me: How can I fix this. The trunk lid is pretty solid, no rust, just need to be repainted.

Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Indygenerallee

How did your trunk hinges look??? Did you try adjusting it a few times?? looks like it is not adjusted but then again is the rear of the decklid dented up??
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

jesterCT

I forgot to say, I didnt put the hinges on. I just laid it in. Do you think thats the reason that I should put the hinges on?
The hinges are totally fine. I couldn't found any kind of rust inside the car.

No dents in the surface at all.

Indygenerallee

looks like the back on the bottom is dented inward in the middle of trunk lid? Best way to do it is bolt it to the hinges and latch and see how well you can adjust it before you go any farther.

Patronus

I always start a car by adjusting the panels. New door bushings, anything to get em lined up. I would put the decklid back together. In its current spot you'd raise the opposite corner.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

jesterCT

thanks guys.

I mounted yesterday night the torsion bars, so the hinges are working again.

I will put everyhting together over the weekend, then I will see and post more.

Any advice how to adjust the hinges and deck lid easily?

Thanks

JB400

Tighten your decklid all the way tight, and then back your bolts off just a hair so you can move it around.  Get it where you like it, then tighten again.  Don't forget the plastic blocks on your hinges.

Patronus

Patience my friend, it may take many many times...
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Indygenerallee

QuotePatience my friend, it may take many many times...
and a few more times!!  :icon_smile_big:

jesterCT

Thanks guys.

I try to be patient, I promise  :yesnod:

Yes, I already put the plastic blocks in.

ACUDANUT

What did you do to that trunk lid, use a grinder on it ?