News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

which is a better fit AMD or Year One panels?

Started by Mopar1979, October 18, 2012, 09:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar1979

I have been trying to decide which quarter panels, front and rear valances, tail light bezel and trunk pans to go with. It looks like Year One  will be cheaper overall which discounts. Has anyone had a discount on purchases with AMD?
Shawn

JThotrodjunkie

So far I like AMD, the floor and trunk fit fine but I heard through the grapevine that quarters and stuff are a little off due to patent issues,  :shruggy: not really sure if that sounds right because they do say authentic mopar restoration parts...
WAR is often caused by clashes between religions, religion is now a capitalist market, forget all of it.  Take 15-20 min out of the day and look around at the world and be thankful we are on this planet, warmed by a star, because in the end all you get is a dirt nap!

Mopar1979

Thanks for the advice. Year one is a good bit cheaper on quarters too.

Fred

As far as I'm aware,  the panels that Year One sells are made by AMD.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mopar1979 on October 18, 2012, 11:21:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. Year one is a good bit cheaper on quarters too.
YO carries AMD, watch their shipping prices. Buy direct from AMD on-line, shipping is only $125.00 for your whole order. I priced out two bumpers, two doors, two fenders and both quarters.
This is from their website.
"Simple Retail Shipping Charges (Internet Orders Only)
Retail customers who place their orders on our website with shipping addresses anywhere in the continental U.S. will have two simple shipping charges depending on items in their cart:

Truck Freight:  $125.00  -  If there is at least one or more item(s) in the cart that require(s) shipment via truck freight, the entire order will ship for $125.00.  Truck freight deliveries require that a person be available to inspect and sign for the delivery.

Ground Shipping:  $9.95  -  If there are no items in the cart that require shipment via truck freight, the entire order will ship for $9.95.  **Depending upon the quantity of items on your order and/or the order's overall weight, we may choose to send the entire order via truck freight.  You will only be charged the $9.95 ground rate but you will still be responsible for making sure a person will be available at the delivery address to inspect and sign for the delivery.  You will be notified via email or telephone call if this applies to your order.**"

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

And there are many other vendors that offer AMD panels so you don't have to stop at those two, shop around a little.

Mopar1979

Thanks. Therefore are Year One freight charges higher than AMD?

Ghoste

Year One freight charges afre generally higher than everybody else in the business.  Not always so check, but as a rule they kill you on shipping.

Mopar1979

:2thumbs:
Thanks for the tip. I put all of my items in shopping cart and they did seem cheaper than AMD before freight.

Mopar Nut

I priced out two bumpers, two doors, two fenders and both quarters from YO.
Here's their shipping qoute.
YearOne shipping cost: $1,157.44

AMD shipping cost: $125.00
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

JB400

Now you know how they throw their big parties, or build all those high dollar cars.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

jb666

When I bought all of my panels, I bought from AMD direct.. They had a warehouse about 1/2 hour from me, and delivered the parts for short $$..  Do they fit great "out of the box"? Not really, but neither did OEM...

Indygenerallee

especially the fitment of the tail lights in the tail panel!!! off by a mile
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

charger_fan_4ever

Look up my build thread. i used all AMD. You can see how it fits. Some good some BADDD

Biggest joke is the valance corners/followed by the tail light buckets, then sail panel corners vs dutchman corners. Full 1/4's full of waves/defects, dutchman ect.

BUT better than the "other" metal out there.

Trunk floor was the best fitting piece. Fit like a glove.

I complain, but without it my car would have been toast. Like we say its something to work with.

brianbob

I would completely agree with charger_fan's comments on the AMD metal. 

I also replaced all the panels he mentioned plus interior floor, rockers, wheel houses and front fenders.

I also am grateful that AMD is putting out these pieces as my project would have never happened without them either but a little better quality sure would have been nice.

Dino

Quote from: Mopar Nut on October 19, 2012, 12:51:27 PM

YearOne shipping cost: $1,157.44

And they gave you this quote with a straight face I'm sure.  That's just crazy.  Whenever someone posts a discount for YO I still can't get anything cheaper than any other place due to their high markup and insane shipping cost.  Why these people are still in business is a mystery to me.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar Nut

I bought one AMD 2'x1-1/5' item with some wiring, $79.00 in shipping. The only thing YO is good for is the wiring.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: brianbob on October 23, 2012, 11:34:15 AM

I also replaced all the panels he mentioned plus interior floor, rockers, wheel houses and front fenders.

I also am grateful that AMD is putting out these pieces as my project would have never happened without them either but a little better quality sure would have been nice.

I did all that minus fenders as mine is a 70. Also changed the roof skin,drip rails, plenum under the deck filler,inner/outer wheel houses/trunk extensions, door skin.

For the price of the metal the fit/finish SHOULD be better. If i paid AMD camaro/Mustang prices for my panels i'd have been ok with it. That being said the full 1/4's alone cost me $1850 for the pair here in Canada. It will make me pucker to have to bondo new panels and redo the wavy body lines BEFORE even getting to highbuild primer.

elitecustombody

Quote from: Ghoste on October 19, 2012, 05:56:31 AM
And there are many other vendors that offer AMD panels so you don't have to stop at those two, shop around a little.

:yesnod: :cheers:

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Ghoste

You're right, fit should be as good as NOS ones really.  BUT, I can still remember when there were no panels but used ones less rusty than yours or NOS and if you think AMD prices make you pucker. :o  Mustang and Camaro parts have always and will always be cheaper than ours just based on amortizing the business across the number of customers.  But fit should be as good as a new one from Dodge I agree.

JThotrodjunkie

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on October 23, 2012, 01:29:40 PM
Quote from: brianbob on October 23, 2012, 11:34:15 AM

I did all that minus fenders as mine is a 70. Also changed the roof skin,drip rails, plenum under the deck filler,inner/outer wheel houses/trunk extensions, door skin.

Now I am scared!! I have done the whole floor including trunk, fit ok, I did the cowl as well not as good, at the ends of the stamped holes ther is drilled holes in some spots instead of a rolled edge!  also the cowl will need filler.  I have to do the roof skin, full quarters, dutchman and the wheel tubs.  hope it's not too much extra work on the new stuff!

For the price of the metal the fit/finish SHOULD be better. If i paid AMD camaro/Mustang prices for my panels i'd have been ok with it. That being said the full 1/4's alone cost me $1850 for the pair here in Canada. It will make me pucker to have to bondo new panels and redo the wavy body lines BEFORE even getting to highbuild primer.
WAR is often caused by clashes between religions, religion is now a capitalist market, forget all of it.  Take 15-20 min out of the day and look around at the world and be thankful we are on this planet, warmed by a star, because in the end all you get is a dirt nap!

charger_fan_4ever

Check out my build thread there is photos of all the funky stuff. Here is some teasers

After tweaking

I always like the corner cap pictures. The lines even had to be remade. Does not help that the top line on the rear valance isn't right either.

AMD door skin booh booh
When i emailed them pictures they were unaware. Supposedly were going to correct them.

Their NOS pieces they used for molds must have been all the reject pieces.

JThotrodjunkie

Wow! That's pretty bad for the price, someone should be able to fix the die or something.  I guess the metal is all new though and we didn't have the options we do now.  I will check out your thread but it's so hard to leave the garage!  Went through a few women cuz of my hobby!!

charger_fan_4ever

As we say its something to work with. The AMD stuff is the "best" repro metal out there. If you compare the price to camaro/mustang parts it seems we are paying a lot for the quality received. BUT not that many years ago NOS full 1/4's were 3K+ a side. Mind you those prices were ridiculous, but the parts did sell.

Pay/smile and grind/cut/beat it to fit lol

Mopar1979

I saw a website called http://www.tamrazsparts.com/ and they have sheet metal. Some on there show to be AMD panels They have a pair of rear oem style quarters on ebay for $1009.00 and free shipping. If they are AMD that is a good deal!

Ryan

Quote from: Mopar1979 on October 27, 2012, 09:38:15 AM
I saw a website called http://www.tamrazsparts.com/ and they have sheet metal. Some on there show to be AMD panels They have a pair of rear oem style quarters on ebay for $1009.00 and free shipping. If they are AMD that is a good deal!
careful with deals that seem to good to be true. It has been reported that sometimes blems get sold off on ebay for what seems to be a great deal until you fit them to your car.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Mopar1979

Thanks for the tip. They probably don't advertise that either.

Ghoste

I hadn't heard that, where are the reports coming from Ryan?

Ryan

Quote from: Ghoste on October 28, 2012, 01:28:31 PM
I hadn't heard that, where are the reports coming from Ryan?

Can't remember exactly , either b-bodyonly forum or moparts.
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA

Ghoste

elitecustombody

I've read that somewhere too. Ghoste,call AMD and find out.Last year  AMD came out with new rules for their authorized dealers, we all got emails. They want to enforce those rules so dealers can not advertize cut-throat prices, Tamraz is walking on the fence.  

Stefan

Cooter

Tamraz RULES! at least they are making a living and not a killing like everybody else I see selling AMD sh*t. Bought ALOT of parts from them.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

elitecustombody

Quote from: Cooter on October 29, 2012, 11:14:14 AM
Tamraz RULES! at least they are making a living and not a killing like everybody else I see selling AMD sh*t. Bought ALOT of parts from them.

I don't know where you're getting your facts and who you've dealt with before , but I can tell you that my discounts are at 25% or more,depending on size of the order,the larger the order the better the prices,many small parts I don't even make a cent.  I don't make a dime on shipping or AMD drop shipping fees they came up with last year. 

Stefan

Mopar1979

So are he tamraz parts blemish or first grade and do they have a return policy if the are defective?

Brock Lee

I know a guy in Georgia that goes to AMD once a month and buys damaged in shipping body panels they have returned. He pays peanuts for them, fixes them, and sells them. He is not the only guy getting that deal. But as far as I know they only give it to dealers that physically come to the shop, cash and carry.

Ghoste

Whether dealers who do their own pickup or not, AMD would be fully aware that their reject panels are getting out there.  Certainly not the only company involved in the practice, I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all manufactureres are guilty of it.  But it still seems like a crappy policy to me.

Mopar1979

I called Columbia parts on the phone today and they have given me a really good price if I buy over phone instead of on eBay. They are telling me everything will ship direct from AMD. Has anyone bought from Columbia parts over phone? Should I be worried?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mopar1979 on December 10, 2012, 08:04:41 PM
I called Columbia parts on the phone today and they have given me a really good price if I buy over phone instead of on eBay. They are telling me everything will ship direct from AMD. Has anyone bought from Columbia parts over phone? Should I be worried?
How much is their shipping?

FrnkNsteen

Something to keep in mind, when talking about how pices fit together, is that our cars aren't necessarily the way they rolled out of the factory back in 1967-70. 40 years can have an effect on the shape of the car. Think of all the tranny drops, popped clutches, accidents, etc. All of those can torque the body more than you think over the years. Stamped parts coming off the tool-steel dies should be relatively consistent, but mounting them on cars that have seen various road torture over the years is a different story. We're talking about car bodies made from a number of stamped parts, that are spot-welded together, then were constantly submitted to 400-500 lb/lbs of torque over the last 40+ years......

And now we're surprised that new stamped body panels don't seem to line up like magic??

I bought all my panels, which were all AMD panels, from RosevilleMoparts up in Michigan. They treated me right and I got a decent discout from the prices Stephen's or AMD was charging. We are still going through the teardown and rebuild stages, but haven't come across anything mindblowing or anything, and my car was apparently seriously T-boned at one time. Removing the Driver side quarter exposed a crushed rocker, and smacked outer wheelhouse. Apparently this wasn't the first time someone had done some quarterpanel surgery.

AMD parts I have had to purchase (back to front): Rear crossmember, rear valance, both valance corner caps, trunk floor, trunk extensions, taillight panel, decklid, both outer wheelhouses, both quarters, both doors,  one rocker panel, floor pans, both fenders, hood, front valance. Holy crap!! I'm starting to wonder what I didn't replace!!! :o
1969 Charger SE (Just starting the restoration)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Patronus

I will only purchase metal from Stefan or Jeff from 512. (period)
Go ahead, just try and find better people to deal with.  :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

FrnkNsteen

Dude, No need to get an attitude. I was just saying where I got my parts, not that they were any better than anyone else. Just cheaper than buying direct from AMD.

My point in my whole post was that it isn't surprising that new panels don't always fit nicely on our cars, and that our cars have changed since they were new. You could make panels EXACTLY like the original factory panels, and they STILL wouldn't necessarily fit cleanly after 40 years of body torque.

Buy from whoever you want. I don't care. But I I had thought it was called 521 Restorations, not 512. If you're going to get an attitude about supporting someone, that's cool, but for their benefit, at least get their name right. I've heard good things about them too.
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Patronus

Quote from: FrnkNsteen on December 13, 2012, 08:08:50 AM
Dude, No need to get an attitude. I was just saying where I got my parts, not that they were any better than anyone else. Just cheaper than buying direct from AMD.

My point in my whole post was that it isn't surprising that new panels don't always fit nicely on our cars, and that our cars have changed since they were new. You could make panels EXACTLY like the original factory panels, and they STILL wouldn't necessarily fit cleanly after 40 years of body torque.

Buy from whoever you want. I don't care. But I I had thought it was called 521 Restorations, not 512. If you're going to get an attitude about supporting someone, that's cool, but for their benefit, at least get their name right. I've heard good things about them too.

My intent was to demonstrate loyalty to people, not the lowest price. "Dude" Nor was I replying to your post - more so to the direction the thread was going. Thanks for the correction on 521, I see you too make mistakes.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

FrnkNsteen

Sorry man! Didn't realize saying "Dude" was an insult. Would you prefer Maam?  :icon_smile_big: (just giving you crap!!) I completely understand being loyal to people, not just price. Personally, I've never met Jeff at 521, so I've got no basis to build loyalty from. Dave at Roseville treated me right and worked with me to get me what I need, and worked with me when something wasn't right, which is even more important. My loyalty is with him. It's cool, we are each loyal to the people who have been good and honest with us. Why not give people other options though? Maybe one of those options might be just down the road from someone, and save them a bundle on shipping charges.

As for the 521 correction,.... easy big fella!! Just messin with ya!!   :cheers:
1967 Barracuda Notchback

JThotrodjunkie

I am finally at the quarter install stage!! (after the rear window inner support repair what a joke!)  I see what oldtimer means by the "fit" issues, I have the same problems at the sail panel and dutchman (had to do a bit of trimming)  the quarter seems a bit short too at the inner quarter window rear corner support (the little bracket that rusts out by the belt molding clips) as well as the inner trunk supports not fitting well, and the stamping flaws are kinda disappointing. I guess I should not bitch though as I have a car now, not a car that a few years ago would have only been considered good for parts and possibly cut up.