News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BC Canada engine builder?? Can anyone recommend?

Started by DPL, October 20, 2012, 03:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPL

I live in Langley BC (hot rod capital of Canada we like to think).

For my next mopar build, I have decided to outsource the engine build.  I've done all my own up to now but this would be the first 6 pack engine for me and I'd like to find someone local to assemble, tune and dyno the motor.  Its a 1970 440 with all original six pack setup.

Anyone here on this forum from my area and know of a reputable shop/tech?

Thanks!!
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

JThotrodjunkie

Hi, I worked at B&J parts in the machine shop and have built many engines, I get them to do all the machine work and I do all of the assembly, I will do it all but the dyno tuning will be at another shop, Mopac is a little pricey but there is others.  My friend Jim Behnke (races a 67 barracuda Super Pro at Mission) helps me on all my mopars builds he is God when it comes to the 440's!

Cheers
WAR is often caused by clashes between religions, religion is now a capitalist market, forget all of it.  Take 15-20 min out of the day and look around at the world and be thankful we are on this planet, warmed by a star, because in the end all you get is a dirt nap!

Challenger340

I'm out in B.C.....but probably too far away from you

What about Richmond Racing Engines ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

JThotrodjunkie

My friend Jim Behnke worked at Richmond engines he is the best Big block Mopar guys I have met.  I think they are still quite good,  but Jim went to B&J after that. I worked there with him but now he is semi retired (medical reasons) but still races. I go to B&J because I know them, get a huge discount, and their shop has top of the line equipment.  I just get the machining done there and they will do any custom combo I want. After the machining I usually call Jim and he helps me pull some good HP from my 440's with all the known tweaks.  He has been a BB Mopar guy for 30 + years and I trust no one else!  A few other things we do:  Double check all clearances, file fit rings, we roll the crank then check the main bearings again, then roll the engine over and check the rod bearings, then do the final assembly.  We do this because the odd time you might find a tight bearing (high spot) or a small nick in the crank (extra insurance at the cost of an hour or two)  We will open up oil galleries for a high revving application (before machining) Everything will also get washed again after the machine shop and during assembly it's like an operating room!
WAR is often caused by clashes between religions, religion is now a capitalist market, forget all of it.  Take 15-20 min out of the day and look around at the world and be thankful we are on this planet, warmed by a star, because in the end all you get is a dirt nap!

firefighter3931

Quote from: DPL on October 20, 2012, 03:18:07 PM
Anyone here on this forum from my area and know of a reputable shop/tech?

Bob (challenger340) lives in your neck of the woods. If I lived anywhere close to his shop, he is the man i would be talking to.  :yesnod:

Have a look in the proven engines forum and you'll see lots of builds that have been dyno proven with numbers to back up the claims.  :icon_smile_big:

Engine building is an art but the real magic lies in the attention to detail and quality machinework. Those that take the time to "get it right" build reliable, high power combos that deliver. Bob definately falls into that category  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

DPL

Thanks everyone.  I am definitely looking for someone close to Langley BC.  Another forum member suggested I go to the next Mopar club meeting.  Good idea. 

Bob, where are you located?
1968 Charger RT
1969 Charger RT
1968 Super Bee
1970 Super Bee V Code

Challenger340

Quote from: DPL on October 25, 2012, 10:59:22 AM
Thanks everyone.  I am definitely looking for someone close to Langley BC.  Another forum member suggested I go to the next Mopar club meeting.  Good idea.  

Bob, where are you located?

I am out by Cranbrook....probably a bit too far away from you(10 1/2 hrs) for economics on a build like this....but I do gets lots shipped in from as far away as Edmonton(lotta guys), Calgary, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, etc.
Those Edmonton Drag guys are a hard core crowd.....get up and drive 6 1/2 hrs and show up at my Shop door by 8:00 am when they drop off/ Pick up when done ??
I appreciate their Loyalty after all these years, even after I moved out of Alberta to B.C....but I think it's more the Economics as well because the Oilpatch in Alberta has made Prices OBSCENE to get an Engine done there..... Frigging Ice Cream Cone costs $17 Bucks in MacMurray !
Only wimps wear Bowties !