News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use Octane booster or other fuel additives?

Started by b5blue, September 13, 2012, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

What are ya adding to your go juice, anything?  :scratchchin:
I'm thinking of trying Lucas Oil's Octane Booster and possibly "Stable" additive. #1 the car has a bit of top end ping I don't want to deal with right now as it is kinda "down" for body work, it only goes for a spin 1 time per week right now. #2 I've been careful to not keep much fuel in it so I can use it up and replace with fresh every so often.
  I can avoid the ping by just not matting the throttle over 40 and I'll deal with adjusting it away when I have less on my plate. The "Stable" was just an idea to let me mix up more than 1/4 tank and not worry about fuel going stale, humidity is so high here in FL. it's a concern with a mostly empty tank. I normally keep at least a 1/2 tank in it.
  Any comments pro or con are welcome as are scientific wild A-- guesses, testimonials, lame attempts at humor and/or funny pics!   :lol:
Thanks! b5

c00nhunterjoe

In my opinion its a waste of money. Tune the car for the fuel you are running.

A383Wing

yup....good money thrown down the tank for no reason....no pun intended....

Bryan

Big Sugar

Here's a tip.....spend your Octain Booster money on a cofee for yourself and a buddy, you'll get more of a boost for your buck and still have change left over for another on the way back.

Bryan and Joe are correct....your throwing away your money...that Booster is all mental H/P.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

bill440rt

The only thing I use is Stabil over the winter months when the cars sit waiting for spring.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

68RED4SPEED

JB400

I don't know if it works or not. But, my dad had to add some to his road runner every fill up or it would act up.  Of course, it's no street car. not with 12:1 compression. Full blown drag car.

Ghoste

I'd rather use fuel formulated for the car than add octane boosters.  I've tried them and just didn't find any benefit but add a little high octane fuel and big change.

JB400

I would agree.  But, in certain situations where fuel is not available,  it might be more viable to use additives.  It also depends on what your running as well.  More modern rebuilds might do better without it.  On my dads' car, it was built in the 80's with fully ported 906 heads and adding additives helped the valves as well as bump up octane level.

Road Dog

My car knocks like a muther on straight 93. It's 11: 1 compression. It runs great with an additive. Also, the additive has petroleum distillants which means it should help with the exhaust valves. 
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

68RED4SPEED

Theres alot more to read about it at this page, as all of you know the only thing that works is tetraethyl lead and it contains 59.4 grams per gallon.
http://www.wildbillscorvette.com/OctaneSupreme01.htm

471_Magnum

Quote from: Road Dog on September 14, 2012, 07:46:38 AMthe additive has petroleum distillants which means it should help with the exhaust valves. 

Umm.... gasoline IS a petroleum distillate.  ::)
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Long Island RT

Toluene. 114 octane.

It's the only thing that worked for me.

Here's a good site about using it:
http://www.best-chemical.com/racing.htm

I unfortunately built my engine with bad advice and little knowledge.  My compression is 11:1 with aluminum heads but my quench is too high and I ping at 34° total advance.
1 gallon of toluene and 3 oz of trans fluid to 10 gallons of  93 lets me run 36° with no ping.  It bumps the octane about 2 points.
I get it at a local paint store for $17.50/gallon - Ouch.  Still cheaper than rebuilding my motor since I only put on 1000 miles or less a year.

No additive is going to effectively/safely bump your octane by even 1 point by adding only a few ounces per gallon....
1969 Dodge Charger RT Restomod<br />Triple Black, 512 stroker, Tremec TKO600 5-speed<br />2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Brilliant Black - Lowered

Nacho-RT74

I used once... was effective at some point, but from that, re-tune the carb is more effective

definitelly non cost effective ( at least for me ) on a driver
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

randy73

Quote from: 68RED4SPEED on September 14, 2012, 02:25:58 AM
Anyone tried this, I have ordered a couple but they have not arriwed yet, this is the real stuff no joke.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190586596801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Quote from ebay -
Octane Supreme 130 [OS 130] consists of the very same additives used from the early 1920's to the early 1970's by the major oil companies to boost octane numbers, eliminate engine knock, and protect valves and valve guides...

Lead was the additive they used, which is illegal to use, so I am not sure how much I trust this product.

strokie

I use 100LL in my 451 stroker for years  (100 motor octane) the best. :2thumbs:

squeakfinder

Quote from: strokie on October 30, 2012, 03:29:13 PM
I use 100LL in my 451 stroker for years  (100 motor octane) the best. :2thumbs:

I used to use a gallon or two of 100 low lead avgas with a tank of Chevron Supreme. Car ran like a champ. I don't know what's changed, but I don't seem to need the avgas anymore.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on September 13, 2012, 07:37:16 PM
In my opinion its a waste of money. Tune the car for the fuel you are running.
Yep, I've owned many high performance classics and just tweeked the dist by ear.  For cruising only though.  My TA says high test is best.  I use regular.  It'll be fine.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.