News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

car prices

Started by hawkeye, October 04, 2012, 10:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeye

i'll throw this against the wall and see if it sticks.  what would everyone think of starting a car price section?  people could fill out a form (anonymously) that would tell the year, price, condition, year bought, and any other pertinent info.  would be an arms length transaction- couldn't buy for gramma.  this would give the forum a way to track prices and people could see what their cars are really worth and what they should expect to pay if looking at a car.  ebay has a price review but this would be far more accurate.  i know people don't like giving out vins but by having it, the forum could track the car down through the years and how the price has changed.  this would give everyone a realworld price and not just anecdotal stories. just a thought,  hawkeye

JB400

Are you looking to start some kind of carfax type of deal combined with Kelley's Blue Book? :shruggy:

hawkeye

no,  i just thought the prices on some of these sites are not very realistic.  this would be numbers from real people in the real world.  i think alot of the numbers kelly and others come up with are cars going through dealers and not person to person.  i would guess the majority of chargers never see a dealer or an auction.  plus it would give a window into the past and see what the same type of car was going for 5, 10 or 15 years ago.  many people don't like to talk numbers openly and this would give them a way of getting that info out without people saying you stole it or you got ripped off.

Tilar

I think that would be hard with 1) todays economy and 2) there are really so many options that certain people like that others might not, so pricing that is fair to one person would be wrong for another.

You could maybe get people to post what they sold or paid for a specific car, but until you know exactly what they sold/bought and what all it needs/needed it's all irrelevent. At least IMO.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

bakerhillpins

Searching ebay using the "completed listings" option will kinda give you the same info. Though it doesn't keep it for more than 90 days so it's kinda like a current price gauge. I can't imagine it's any less accurate than what you would get from folks filling out info on this site.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.