News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IMports are just....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, October 25, 2012, 05:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

HP queens I swear they throw up so many big numbers yet still go the quarter the same amount as any other car. Take the supra the jack up the HP up to 1000hp and yet and yet still run quarters in 12 secs their torque still stays at like 500ft-lbs  ::) they spent over 60k and yet still cant break the 10secs or less.

Am I missing something? Theres a joke here at the firebird speedway in Phoenix, AZ.

Whats the difference between a 1000hp supra vs a 500hp supra? They both run 12 secs in the qaurter mile!

I like cars in general and appreciate imports, but to brag about your HP rating to me while the torque stays the same is laughable.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3364868097.html

JB400

Most of their numbers come from nitrous. But, your right, once a front wheel drive makes a certain power, they unload the front end and can't get traction unless they have wheelie bars.  That's why I think most fwd's are stuck at that 12 sec barrier.

hatersaurusrex

That car is probably a blast to drive, but who would want to be seen in something with such a butt-ass paint job?
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 25, 2012, 10:33:09 PM
That car is probably a blast to drive, but who would want to be seen in something with such a butt-ass paint job?
what do you mean blast?

I think the only cool thing is hearing the turboes spool up and have the excess waste boost expell off a side pipe.  Its a sweet looking car I agree, but to try to compete with the big boys (big blocks) and spend 60k or so and still hit 12 secs is just asinine in my opinion.

Put 60k into a mopar engine wise like those import guys and I will tell you that you will have a sub 10 sec car for sure.  Hell I will put 20k into the engine, 10k in tranny,  10 in accessories such as radiator, cooling etc, and have some left over for body mods etc.

bordin34

All I gotta say is don't knock it until you've tried it.
I have friends with 500hp BMW's that will run 11s and then corner at over a G.
Try driving any boosted RB powered Nissan or 2JZ Toyota, those engines can make insane power reliably and still be driven every day.
Supras are in a league of their own they can make 400rwhp like its nothing and 800rwhp isn't too far away.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

1974dodgecharger

Well heres the deal I have already tried it  :icon_smile_big: I rode in a 800HP supra before a 93 with a single turbo and yes they are fun to drive, but no it did not hit sub 12secs on the quarter at all. Supras are a big hit here the MKiV in act Mark Tozer lives here in PHX with his 1200HP monster that hits 12 secs quarter miles, but he loves getting on the dyno and showing how many HP it has and he loves doing street races from 50mph and he does dust them off for sure no lie.

The kicker is do you know how much Mark spent on his 1200HP supra though...a godly insane amount over 130k to get 12 secs though.
Quote from: bordin34 on October 25, 2012, 10:48:32 PM
All I gotta say is don't knock it until you've tried it.
I have friends with 500hp BMW's that will run 11s and then corner at over a G.
Try driving any boosted RB powered Nissan or 2JZ Toyota, those engines can make insane power reliably and still be driven every day.
Supras are in a league of their own they can make 400rwhp like its nothing and 800rwhp isn't too far away.

bull

Yeah, you don't see any 4- or 6-bangers running 3.7 seconds in the top fuel category do you?

STIG

I've had 5 MKIV Supras (the latest ones) and I absolutely love them to bits. My last one was the only 6-speed, twin-turbo, aerotop in NZ, around 400hp and are such a blast to drive (hence why I've had so many!). I've got rid of all of them now, a R34 GTR will be next on the cards. The Supra isn't a quarter-mile machine, it's 1700kg gross weight and just a whale... it's made for highway driving and twisty back roads  :coolgleamA:
1969 Dodge Charger 'General Lee', 440 Six-Pack, Genuine Big Block, R/T SE

From way down South in the land of Kiwis.

Cooter

I guess you've musta had on the hater shades or something. I'd like to see a 572 Inch Charger do this and still get 30 MPG.......Even with $150K to spend....You gotta give it to the Import guys...They are running the numbers. V8's will always be "King" as far as power is concerned in the public's eye(Kinda like that "Definition of what a musclecar is" thing), but for an inline 6 with only 3.0 liters, they make some insane power. I think the last video is like 7 Second 1/4 mile pass....
Let's see how much cashola it takes you to drive a 7.0 second 1/4 mile car on the street with a HEMI in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PJA9tb66E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyoaIsQNDyI&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALyU_2wjKhU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVbeyrC1q1Y&feature=related
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bordin34

My friend has a 1000+ horsepower S2000 there is absolutely nothing logical about that car. But when the boost hits it is insane. And that is all from a ~2.7L 4cyl.
Same friend also has an R33 and R32 GT-R.

Mahwah,NJ

1974dodgecharger

never heard of the S2000 hitting 1k HP thats ungodly amount for such a tiny car. Most I read about is 400 or so and thats alot for a dink car.

no hater shades on at all like I said I appreciate cars from many facets and each has its own unique story as to why they were built.

Quote from: bordin34 on October 26, 2012, 09:27:55 AM
My friend has a 1000+ horsepower S2000 there is absolutely nothing logical about that car. But when the boost hits it is insane. And that is all from a ~2.7L 4cyl.
Same friend also has an R33 and R32 GT-R.

scat pack fever

Those Buick Grand Nationals are fast.

The GMC Syclones are even faster.

hatersaurusrex

60K to beat a supra?  It doesn't take 60K, just a Reliant-K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAtudjCZ8xw

JB400

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 27, 2012, 01:27:12 AM
60K to beat a supra?  It doesn't take 60K, just a Reliant-K:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAtudjCZ8xw
Never underestimate a Mopar, any Mopar :2thumbs:

bordin34

Here is a picture of my friends setup. Its on E85. On a lower boost conservative street tune it dynoed 989whp 867tq

Mahwah,NJ

RangerDan440

the only exposure to musclecars most young guys get are old guys sitting in lawn chairs at car shows and most dont care about cars at all.

At least they are doing something gear head related
69 Charger
71 Road Runner
71 Satellite sedan
73 Duster
10 Challenger R/T

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

chargd72

Quote from: Cooter on October 26, 2012, 06:24:10 AM
I guess you've musta had on the hater shades or something. I'd like to see a 572 Inch Charger do this and still get 30 MPG.......Even with $150K to spend....You gotta give it to the Import guys...They are running the numbers. V8's will always be "King" as far as power is concerned in the public's eye(Kinda like that "Definition of what a musclecar is" thing), but for an inline 6 with only 3.0 liters, they make some insane power. I think the last video is like 7 Second 1/4 mile pass....
Let's see how much cashola it takes you to drive a 7.0 second 1/4 mile car on the street with a HEMI in it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6PJA9tb66E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyoaIsQNDyI&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALyU_2wjKhU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVbeyrC1q1Y&feature=related

SW's Supra is parked less than 2 miles from my house.  He has an awesome collection.  Dude is pretty much a legend around here.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: bordin34 on October 28, 2012, 02:18:22 PM
Here is a picture of my friends setup. Its on E85. On a lower boost conservative street tune it dynoed 989whp 867tq

Just when it looks like the thread might be leaning towards respect for imports, someone posts a pic of a motor that looks like it came out of the 'Hello Kitty' section of the Jeg's catalog...

JB400

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 29, 2012, 06:48:47 PM

Just when it looks like the thread might be leaning towards respect for imports, someone posts a pic of a motor that looks like it came out of the 'Hello Kitty' section of the Jeg's catalog...
Breast cancer awareness month :2thumbs:

daveco

"...someone posts a pic of a motor that looks like it came out of the 'Hello Kitty' section of the Jeg's catalog..."

:rofl: :2thumbs:
R/Tree

bordin34

Hahaha I think he actually had a hello kitty sticker on the valve cover at one point.
989rwhp in a car that weighs around 2500lbs is pretty respectable to me.

Mahwah,NJ

1974dodgecharger

LMAO  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: hatersaurusrex on October 29, 2012, 06:48:47 PM

odcics2

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 25, 2012, 05:03:01 PM
HP queens I swear they throw up so many big numbers yet still go the quarter the same amount as any other car. Take the supra the jack up the HP up to 1000hp and yet and yet still run quarters in 12 secs their torque still stays at like 500ft-lbs  ::) they spent over 60k and yet still cant break the 10secs or less.

Am I missing something? Theres a joke here at the firebird speedway in Phoenix, AZ.

Whats the difference between a 1000hp supra vs a 500hp supra? They both run 12 secs in the qaurter mile!

I like cars in general and appreciate imports, but to brag about your HP rating to me while the torque stays the same is laughable.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3364868097.html

Maybe they are lying?   It works for certain politicians!!   (NO! Jeep is NOT moving production to China...)
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?