News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1968 Dodge Charger Fuel Tank Restoration

Started by RIDGERACER383, November 14, 2012, 04:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

Hey Guys.Been tossing the idea around about fixing up my fuel tank instead of buying a new one.I looked into sealing it but I heard that with ethanol in the fuel now it will break down the sealant and it will start peeling out and get in your system.Now this was just one product with the reviews I read.I'm sure there some really good ones out there.

I'll update this thread as I go.

The first thing I did is soak the hanger bolts with croil.There pretty rusty so i'll go out tonight and soak them one more time and they should come off tomorrow.

The end of the hanger bolts are up against the tank so I hope I can get it to move so I can get a deep well socket on it.

On top of the fuel sending unit I unhooked the wire for the fuel tank gauge which pops right off.The rubber fuel line which connects the two metal lines has some fuel line clips which are hard to remove.I'm going to cut the rubber line since it needs replaced anyway and use regular hose clamps.

Also connected to the rubber line is a metal brace which I guess is factory.

So thats where i'm at now.I'll post more tomorrow with the tank out.If you want anymore pics just let me know and i'll do my best to take them.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Cooter

FWIW, NEVER....Repeat, NEVER try and repair a fuel tank when new ones are available...You are asking for heartache.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bill440rt

With all the time, labor, & materials it takes to fix up an old tank you'd be well ahead of the game by replacing everything. All of that stuff is available new & is relatively inexpensive.
Most repro tanks come with new gaskets & a new lock ring. Repro sending units can be found inexpensively on RockAuto, or check eBay. Those two items will be your biggest expense.
Same with the straps & j-bolts, they are not that expensive.
That "metal brace" is a ground strap. Get a new one (they are cheap), to ensure a good ground.
Lastly, I try to avoid worm clamps on fuel lines whenever possible. The serrations have tendency to cut into the rubber fuel line (not good), that's why the factory used those crimp style clamps. Most auto parts stores have them. There is a special tool out there to crimp them, however I've found that a pair of nips wrapped with some tape or a rag works just as well.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

This is a good tank:

Fuel Tank 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 8 Cyl 7.2L
Spectra Fuel Tank Charger
Spectra Price: $ 195.81
Part #: SPICR9A

JB400

While we're on the subject, any good Charger only fuel cells available.  I'd rather have one in the stock location then have one mounted in the trunk.

squeakfinder

I've tried fixing up fuel tanks. It is a complete waist of time. It will leave you stranded with a plugged fuel filter or worse, a screwed up carb. Thank's for sharing those pic's. Looks like that ground strap went down with the Titanic.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

67_Dodge_Charger

I repaired my gas tank for my 67 Charger and I can tell you I wish I had looked harder at a replacement.  They say that hindsight is 20/20 and I can see that I need to replace gaskets, fuel tank sending unit and fuel lines (maybe gas tank clamps) still with the price of repair $150 at a radiator shop.  How much will it cost to get a brand new replacement tank? Plus you don't have to worry about stuff floating around plugging your fuel line and fuel filters.

Good luck Robert :popcrn:

RIDGERACER383

Thanks for the replies guys...I was at the salvage yard all day and didn't get a chance to work on the tank.The tank in my car is in good shape on the outside except where I dented it and it has a small leak which i'm going to braze and solder.As for inside the tank i'll post before and after pics and show how I did it.It should be super clean when i'm done.

XH29N0G

When I was a kid, we had someone at the place where I worked try to weld or braze a full fuel tank. 

Luckily he was caught beforehand.  Please be careful.  I am sure you have thought this through, but things can go wrong.

The guy I knew at work was not stable and ended up being picked up later for several murders.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

RIDGERACER383

The way you secure a tank so you can apply heat is to run a hose from the tail pipe of a running car into the tank for about 10 minutes...then your good to go.

bill440rt

Quanta Products
1-800-235-8788
www.gastanks.com

It doesn't get any more headache-free than that.
Why would you even consider repairing a dented tank with holes in it??  :shruggy:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

RIDGERACER383

The tank is solid..the tank hit a rock in my yard and dented it and put a pinhole in it.I figure why buy a tank when I can use some elbow grease and have a good original tank.I'm going to pop the dent out from the inside before I repair the pinhole.

FLG

Your wasting your time trying to save a 40 year old fuel tank. Ditch it and buy a new one. There is no reason to save it and your looking for headaches down the road.

Buy a new tank, new sender, new hoses, new j bolts, new straps, new ground strap, and be done with it.

When it came time to remove my tank i emptied it, cut the j bolts, and threw the whole thing in the trash. Mind you the tank didnt leak, everything worked fine....but its simply not worth it. Im spending thousands restoring my car, why bother keeping a rusted, filthy tank?

Were not talking an og tank on superbird an original superbird or something super rare where something like that would/could make a difference.

Also they sell the style clamps Bill is talking about with a bolt thru setup, much better than worm clamps and looks cleaner.

RIDGERACER383

I like those clamps.Really clean looking..I don't have the cash to fork out for a new tank so that's why I'm restoring this one..The inside of the tank will be rust free when I'm finished.

ACUDANUT

Good luck. A 43 year old gas tank repair ?  Time to say bye bye.  if you cannot afford a new gas tank, please sell your car to me. :icon_smile_big:

RIDGERACER383

I got the tank out today and have to say i'm really surprised.The tank is solid with only surface rust on the top where the mat is at.The straps are in great shape too along with the hangers.

Heres a picture with the mat removed...You can see the surface rust.

I looked inside the tank with a flash light and the bottom is nice and clean.There is some stuff in the bottom of the tank and the gas stinks.

Theres a few places in my trunk that needs patched but mostly solid.They apparently undercoated  these things with the tank in.

The only place i'm stuck at now is i'm not sure which way the sending unit lock turns to get it out.I'm sure its counter clock wise.I tried getting it out with the hammer and screwdriver but it didn't budge,so I have it soaking in croil.

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow when I start cleaning this thing out.

JB400

After seeing your tank,  I'm with everyone else.  Besides, no idea how much crud is at the bottom of the tank.  I hope your replacing your lines.  Otherwise, you'll be changing fuel filters every week.

RIDGERACER383

I'm going to buy some line and make a new fuel line for it after I get the tank finished.

bill440rt

Invest in one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Ford-Mercury-Lincoln-gas-fuel-sending-unit-tool-/400327135781?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d355b5225&vxp=mtr

Oh yeah, the ring turns COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to remove it.

After you get done restoring that tank & cleaning out the inside, let us know down the road when the rot eats another hole in it. You'll be spending double then doing this work all over again.
Best of luck to you.

RIDGERACER383

Thanks for telling me about the ring..Now I don't have to fight it both ways.As for the tank it has no rust holes just surface rust.The hole was made when I was moving it from my back yard and I went over a rock and it put a dent and a pinhole in it.

Lennard

:rotz: I can't look in your wallet but be smart and safe up some $$ in the next few month and buy yourself a new tank. The people giving you advise here are not new to the game.
My gas tank was in better shape than yours and I tossed it and bought a new Spectra tank, do it once... do it right.

HeavyFuel

Dispite everyone's urging to get a new tank........he continues to march on with the intention of trying in vain to save one that's obviously gone. :shruggy:

Rookies.    :rotz:

This thread should be considered closed.

JB400

Mine looks in a lot better shape than the one he has, and I doubt that I'll reuse it.  40+ years of crud and rust in a tank feeding a rebuilt engine of x amount of dollars, heck, I might as well just burn the money and stay warm.

ACUDANUT

I doubt that lock ring will even come off, without some of the gas tank with it.  Spectra time.

RIDGERACER383

The tank is nice and clean inside with just just a few dirty spots in it.I'm having trouble getting the lock ring off.I guess its seized.I'm trying to get it off clockwise.The sending unit isn't rusted and looks pretty good for being over 40 years old.I'll get that ring off hopefully.

RIDGERACER383

Man i'm an idiot...I was trying to remove the outside ring which is the holder for the lock ring..I looked at a pic of a new one and figured it out..It came off no problem.

RIDGERACER383

I got all the rust cleaned off the tank and I found a few rust pinholes on top of the tank and fixed it with jb weld after cleaning it real good..the inside of the tank looks new so that's good.I'll post a pic soon.

BananaDan

I just found this thread, but I have to throw my :Twocents: in and agree with everyone else here.  I wouldn't trust that tank if my life or my car depended on it.  The picture of the sending unit scares me the most.  I just bought everything you need to replace your tank for my own car.  It will cost you $350 plus shipping for everything you need.  Call Dante, he has everything required and he sells the Spectra tanks that everyone has recommended.

It's not worth the risk or harm to you and your car.

http://www.dantesparts.com/partsforsale.html

Be safe!
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

RIDGERACER383

I finally got the tank finished.It has no leaks now and should last me till I get a new one.I didn't sandblast it because its just too hard to clean out.I did scuff off the rust and put a rust converter on it and painted it.The fuel sending unit still works and looks pretty good.I just need to fin a filter for it.My old filter was laying in the bottom of the tank.I should have it in by tomorrow if I find the filter.

RIDGERACER383

I went to Advance Auto today and bought the cheapest fuel strainer they had which was $5.00 and cut it to fit my needs.Worked out great and saved me $25.00 getting the one for it online.Its a better filter too.I put a piece of 5/16 fuel line one the end of the unit then slid the strainer and clamp over the hose and tightened it down leaving enough overhang on the strainer.Worked like a charm.

I got the tank back in my car and all the lines hooked up and put gas in the tank and had no leaks.I only need to put my second filter in before the pump and I can test it out.

Dmichels

I was on a buget when I first got my car. I had to save for 2 weeks just to buy a fuel pump I was in collage and broke. I too fixed my gas tank because at the time I could not afford the $139 for a new one. I spent hours scrapping sanding and soldering up holes (I always fill the tank with water) I discoverd that the rust spot that was not a hole this week would be a hole in a month. I plugged them with epoxy putty as they popped up. I finally repalaced the tank that summer Good job with the fix but I would plan on a new tank soon.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

RIDGERACER383

I'm getting a new tank this summer..I just needed to fix this tank so I can move the car in and out Of the garage so we can work on other stuff.It will last me till summer time.