News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Failure cause(s)?

Started by gcolby, November 24, 2012, 09:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gcolby

Recently had my 440 fail, I was not in it at the time so I don't know about oil pressure/water temp at the time. Pulled blower/top end off but have not pulled heads yet. besides the obvious damage, there is also water in the valley so head gasket also for sure.

My question is what are likely causes? and what else should I be looking for? Thanks!
1970 Charger R/T 440

Cooter

"Blower"  I assume Roots style?
"Not in it at the time"?
Were you revving the engine when it turned loose?
Appears you floated a valve and all but dropped a valve. Causing rocker/pushrod/etc. to look that way. Water in engine might be busted block, or blown head gasket. Too much Boost?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

gcolby

Sorry, yes roots 6-71 blower on top/dual 750cfm ~6-7psi.  I was not in the car when it went happened, so I unfortunately don't know what the motor was doing at the time.  I was following behind on the road and speed was ~45mph, car was warmed up and driving very easy (no revving).  The car was running extremely rich at the time though....Today I plan on pulling head to take a look @ what lies beneath... :'(
1970 Charger R/T 440

bobs66440

It looks to me like the keepers came out of the spring retainer and the retainer popped off. That left clearance for the pushrod to move out of the way and the lifter popped out. Of course, that doesn't explain the coolant in the valley...

Is the pushrod bent?

The water in the valley may be unrelated. Is there any other damage, like cracks in the block or head? Was it using water previous to this?

Unless the valve was frozen in the guide, there's probably damage to the piston or the head of the valve broke off and got beat up in there...maybe cracking the head and letting water out.

I guess you will find out soon enough... :-\

440 Fanatic

Quote from: bobs66440 on November 24, 2012, 01:18:02 PM
It looks to me like the keepers came out of the spring retainer and the retainer popped off. That left clearance for the pushrod to move out of the way and the lifter popped out. Of course, that doesn't explain the coolant in the valley...

Is the pushrod bent?

The water in the valley may be unrelated. Is there any other damage, like cracks in the block or head? Was it using water previous to this?

Unless the valve was frozen in the guide, there's probably damage to the piston or the head of the valve broke off and got beat up in there...maybe cracking the head and letting water out.

I guess you will find out soon enough... :-\

agreed

440 Fanatic

gcolby

The pieces that were laying in the head were what was left of the retainer on the spring. The valve shot up (with a boost from the piston) through the head, broke the rocker arm and broke the spring and exploded the retainer.

So I got the head off and found some more out :'(... It is the #4 cylinder and when i pulled the spark plug out, i got a nice surprise of about a gallon of antifreeze out of the spark plug hole, then the rest came out when I disconnected the header from the exhaust pipe.

Well, my wishful thinking went down the crapper when I saw the piston...Maybe some JB weld and it will be right as rain... :2thumbs:
1970 Charger R/T 440

Challenger340

I would probably pluck on the V/Springs gone away pressure-wise, or installed Spring Pressure/Rate(if known) ....and the Valve Locks.
Agreed,
probably has floated a Valve Spring at some recent high rpm point, dropped a lock,(not all the way), but from then on was grenade with the pin pulled...just waiting to let go whenever...even just driving down the road.

IMO,
never use the Crane Gold Rockers without discarding the spacer springs.... in favor of "solid" spacers.
Which is WHY the following ALSO may have happened....
This is another potential cause of the dropped Valve, with incorrect Valvetrain Geometry(poor rebuilt heads) which can allow the spring to compress sideways resulting in the Rocker moving over and riding on the Retainer..... thusly UN-locking the Valve Locks and Valve.

Sorry for your loss  
Only wimps wear Bowties !

gcolby

Thx Challenger, agreed... Most likely cause is that retainer letting go.... Well this is sure going to put a hurtin' on the ol' savings..... :icon_smile_blackeye:
1970 Charger R/T 440

cdr

i think the valve head broke off first,what brand of valves where they ?
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

gcolby

Can't remember, I did the heads back in '96....  The car was running SUPER rich right before this happened.. Wonder if that contributed at all to the internal party it through??

So, with this all said, obviously I have to pull block, look at what the damage is in bottom end and go from there.  I guess I will start looking at new top end setup and maybe new rotating assy (hopefully not).... ::)

How are the aluminum heads compared to the stockers nowadays?  motor is already .30 over, may have to go more, maybe not we will see I guess.  The current setup is 440 .30 over, don't remember cam, need to look it up, and I run a 6-71 no the top with dual holleys.

Or I may just slap a different motor in it for now (if I can find one) and go through this one at my leisure since it is the number matching motor for the car.
1970 Charger R/T 440

gcolby

BTW, how big of a job is pulling fenders/nose on the car?  Last time I pulled motor, way back when.... I was more nimble and energetic...didn't pull the front clip. Not so much anymore, a lot more lazy I guess.
1970 Charger R/T 440

cdr

Quote from: gcolby on November 25, 2012, 01:09:27 PM
Can't remember, I did the heads back in '96....  The car was running SUPER rich right before this happened.. Wonder if that contributed at all to the internal party it through??

So, with this all said, obviously I have to pull block, look at what the damage is in bottom end and go from there.  I guess I will start looking at new top end setup and maybe new rotating assy (hopefully not).... ::)

How are the aluminum heads compared to the stockers nowadays?  motor is already .30 over, may have to go more, maybe not we will see I guess.  The current setup is 440 .30 over, don't remember cam, need to look it up, and I run a 6-71 no the top with dual holleys.

Or I may just slap a different motor in it for now (if I can find one) and go through this one at my leisure since it is the number matching motor for the car.
i got the 440 source super stealth heads,they do have a thick deck for a mild blower set up
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

69rtse4spd

If you have the room, I'd drop it out the bottom with the k-frame. Much easier, get some friends, a cherry picker, & make a dolly for the k-frame, nothen fancy.

gcolby

Drop it out the bottom? That is easier than pulling clip?  Great, dont have space to jack car up for that.
1970 Charger R/T 440

bobs66440

Sorry for the troubles. Man, that sucks!

Quote from: gcolby on November 25, 2012, 03:12:50 PM
Drop it out the bottom? That is easier than pulling clip?  Great, dont have space to jack car up for that.
Some guys like to do it that way. When we installed mine last Spring, We just pulled and installed it out the top with a load leveler. It was so easy that way, I can't imagine it easier. Trans and engine at the same time. Piece of cake. The load leveler is the key though.  :2thumbs:

gcolby

Great, that works for me.... already got the front off to the core support.  That bumper/grill sure is a finger puzzle, but at least I can reach the engine better now and can finish the gutting/pulling process..... :2thumbs:
1970 Charger R/T 440