News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

71 charger rear end options

Started by Wolfie12B, December 04, 2012, 04:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie12B

I just purchased a 71 Charger that was originally a 318. The rear end is just a tube... So i need an axle. Now I have a questions. I am new at this. But i have a Chrysler 8.25 from a 1997 Cherokee. So because I havent gotten the Charger home yet. And I havent had the chance to go back and measure the axle. But if anyone can help me, thatd be great. Its not all that easy to find parts where I live in Wisconsin. So if i can get the axle i already have to work. I kinda want to use it. Has 3.55 gears in it.

Might be a stupid noob question. But I thought Id ask and maybe save myself some time.

Thanks for the help. Sorry if its a dumb question

FLG

Welcome.

So your saying you just ned a center section and axles?or just a center section?

Wolfie12B

Thank you. Right now. Its just a tube. So no internal parts at all. Im not 100% sure seeing i dont have it home to open up and actually look at. So im asking 2 things. 1 could i put the parts from the 8.25 in axle it already has. Or put the whole axle under it?

John_Kunkel

It's unlikely that the complete rear end from a Jeep would fit in a B-body without major mods. (consider the pinion offset)

The 8 1/4" is a tricky rear end when it comes to swapping internal parts, the differentials usually have a narrow range of gears that they'll work with so gear swapping can be expensive.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Wolfie12B

So its just smarter to try and find an axle then? I know the 8 1/4 is a pain in the arse... Sadly. But it was worth asking. Bette to find out if what i have would work instead of paying alot if i already have 1 thatd work.

JB400

Depending on your buildup, you might want to find an 8 3/4.  Unless you can find another car with that rearend in it.

Cooter

I'd look around Ebag for an 8 3/4 out of say a 1971-74 "B" body (Which is what your Charger is and has the correct 5 on 4.5" lug circle), and try and locate something complete that no ones messed around with.

PS: No, the "A" body rear will not work without major mods (Too narrow, and lug stud pattern too small..5 on 4" circle)
Don;t have the measurements handly right now, but I'm sure some may. The "E" body (Cuda /Challenger) may work in a pinch, not sure bout spring perches. SOME "C" body rears may work with minimal mods. Truck 8 3/4's won't due to spring perches on TOP of rearend.

Some right here might even have one that's near you and in your price range.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Wolfie12B

An 8 3/4 huh. Well now i actually know what im looking for. Well if the 8 1/4 wont work. Which is fine, i have money i can use toward t. But im just trying to save what i can. if you know what I mean. Not like this stuffs cheap or nothin.

Cooter

Quote from: Wolfie12B on December 04, 2012, 06:57:05 PM
An 8 3/4 huh. Well now i actually know what im looking for. Well if the 8 1/4 wont work. Which is fine, i have money i can use toward t. But im just trying to save what i can. if you know what I mean. Not like this stuffs cheap or nothin.

I have some 8 3/4's, but I ain't nowhere near you. You's about 20 hours from me. Ifn' you was to make a trek down, i might have something that might help you out. Lemme know If I can help though. I know all about cheap. I personally built a GL for under 10K, a Christine, 1958 Plymouth for under 15K, and am working on a 1970 Challenger R/T Clone, shooting for under $8K.

Where there's a will and a will to do your own work, it can be done cheap.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

71charger_fan

Where are you located? I have a '71 Charger 8.25 sitting out back of my house in Maryland I don't want. Free if you're close enough to pick it up.

rnjump

Quote from: 71charger_fan on December 09, 2012, 11:47:04 AM
Where are you located? I have a '71 Charger 8.25 sitting out back of my house in Maryland I don't want. Free if you're close enough to pick it up.
Now there's a good guy!

71charger_fan

Not that good. It's a 2.45 open diff.