News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970Moparmann's Superbird - Continuous questions.....

Started by 1970Moparmann, November 27, 2012, 10:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Quote from: wingcarenvy on May 06, 2013, 12:07:50 AM
Mike, from the bottom of my heart CONGRATS!!!!!!!

I was in line to buy the bird from Rex. He is a stand up guy and sounds like you have a match made in heaven.  :2thumbs:

Your getting a little personal now - LOL.   It was a stressful time because I had to sell a car to get the Bird.  I'm still amazed that it worked out the way it did.  If you ask Rex when we went for a short spin in it, I told him the trans could have dropped out of the car while driving and I still would have bought it.   :2thumbs:

Yesterday while working on it, I stepped back yet again, and said to myself " I have a freak'in Bird" :2thumbs:   The stun and shock is still with me after 5 months. :2thumbs:

I hope to be driving it in two weeks! :cheers:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 06, 2013, 07:38:39 AM
Yesterday while working on it, I stepped back yet again, and said to myself " I have a freak'in Bird" :2thumbs:   The stun and shock is still with me after 5 months. :2thumbs:

I've owned wing cars for 16 years, and I still have that!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 30, 2013, 10:52:03 AM
Let's play a game... What is incorrect on the car - seriously!  I need to correct this stuff eventually.

1 - 6 pack carbs are incorrect - CRAP!
2 - Coolant bottle
3-  Hoses - being changed this week!
4-  Valve covers.....
5-  Wing brackets should be black
6-  Wiper motor

NEXT?  Don't be shy.. :slap:

That latchtray looks like it had the center section cut out and replaced, incorrect, probally a rust repair, A Superbird latch tray started life as a Daytona latch tray, the "ears" where cut off, then it's turned 180 degrees, a new hole is punched for the bird latch location, and the Daytona hole is patched...

Mike

1970Moparmann

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 06, 2013, 08:59:10 AM
Let's play a game... What is incorrect on the car - seriously!  I need to correct this stuff eventually.

2 - Coolant bottle
4-  Valve covers.....
6-  Wiper motor

That latchtray looks like it had the center section cut out and replaced, incorrect, probally a rust repair, A Superbird latch tray started life as a Daytona latch tray, the "ears" where cut off, then it's turned 180 degrees, a new hole is punched for the bird latch location, and the Daytona hole is patched...

Mike

Mike, thanks.  Is the Janak one close to original?

moparstuart

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 06, 2013, 09:09:31 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 06, 2013, 08:59:10 AM

2 - Coolant bottle
4-  Valve covers.....
6-  Wiper motor

Mike

Mike, thanks.  Is the Janak one close to original?
janak one is reinforced fiber glass
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1970Moparmann

moparstuart

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 06, 2013, 09:45:45 AM
Stu, does anyone make a metal version?
there are a couple different venders   , I know some complain about the fit of Erik Nelson's ?
maybe someone else who has actually used them  will chime in  ? 

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 06, 2013, 09:45:45 AM
Stu, does anyone make a metal version?

your choices for a steel one are: original used/NOS, or Gene Gregory (Alhambra Auto restoration Parts), one pc stamping as original, price varies with Gene depending on his "mood"....$500-$750 (keep in mind Gene is closing up shop), or me, Dayclona Enterprises, $500 all hardware included, mine is .047 steel, but my end rails are added (welded) on to the  one peice center section, the tray is delivered ready for paint...Erik Nelsons tray is .030 thick steel, $500...3 pc construction as well, I have heard issues with it, I don't know if he has retified the situation, I currently know of no others making steel trays

Mike

moparstuart

Hemi Runner

I looked at those when I picked up my nose from Gean's shop. It's a damned nice piece, (not saying Mike's isn't as I've never seen his)but since mine is a race car rather than a resto, I passed on it. I still need to get all the rest of the head light doors and buckets rounded up and if I could sell my steel nose, I'd have Mike make me a carbon fiber version of it and the headlight buckets. I'd like to have a CF wing as well.

1970Moparmann

Awesome!  Thanks guys.  :2thumbs:

The list is getting higher.......

1970Moparmann

Next question ------

Are the head light buckets supposed to be painted black?  And does the black decal of the nose when installed correctly butt up to the bucket holes with virtually no gap? 

Mine buckets are black on the sides, but were painted red when the nose was painted with the decal on top.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 07, 2013, 08:47:10 PM
Next question ------

Are the head light buckets supposed to be painted black?  And does the black decal of the nose when installed correctly butt up to the bucket holes with virtually no gap?  

Mine buckets are black on the sides, but were painted red when the nose was painted with the decal on top.

Whew !!!! I was hoping you would ask that... I didn't wanna come out and say it making it sound like I was "putting your car down" Mikey... But yes, there shouldn't be any body color showing.. The exact black I'm not sure of, maybe satin or organosol?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DAY CLONA

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 07, 2013, 10:33:45 PM
Next question ------

Are the head light buckets supposed to be painted black?  And does the black decal of the nose when installed correctly butt up to the bucket holes with virtually no gap?  

You could probably "save" the flaw by carefully taping around the decals and blacking out the headlite doors and exposed nose area, if you decide to remove the decals to do it properly, don't make the mistake of leaving hard tape lines thinking they will be hidden by the decals (another common resto mistake) the black out around the headlite openings on the nose under the deacals must have soft paint edges, either achieved by fading the black out, or by backtaping to achieve a "soft" paint edge that won't show under the decal.....the other "bad" news, either they replaced the fenders, or completely stripped the originals, as the leaded peak that is added to Superbird fenders to transition the fender edge to the cone is not present (althought from the pics the passenger side looks OK), that's why your cone back edge is higher than the fender peak, Bird fenders had a few inches of lead added to the leading fender peak to help transition the cone to fender contour,....your front spoiler looks to be a replacement of the Dave Patik design (PCG) correct in shape, but not angle (nothing you can do about it, other than replacement)...not dissing your car, Nice ride!, flaws the average auto enthusiast would never know or realize,...just stuff us anal wingers make note of :cheers: Don't forget you need to add the "standing bird" to the drivers headlight door

Mike

1970Moparmann

Mike, thanks!  I want to hear the bad, because eventually it will be fixed correctly.  The car is a Midwest car, therefore I'm positive there will be a good amount of surprises along the way. 

I welcome all remarks because this is a learning process for me.  :2thumbs:

FJ5WING

I think the right side fender peak is OK, But Im not sure with the blurriness.

They make a decal to fill in for the missing part of the headlight door.

hey Mike, Ive got a PCG front spoiler and had no idea its not the best option....Do you know of a better replacement? Mine is getting painted early next week so I have a small window to find another.
wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 08, 2013, 07:09:51 AM

hey Mike, Ive got a PCG front spoiler and had no idea its not the best option....Do you know of a better replacement? Mine is getting painted early next week so I have a small window to find another.
your better off with that angle  ,  it wont scrape in low spots or on parking blocks  ,  keep it

62 Max

Next question ------

Are the head light buckets supposed to be painted black?  And does the black decal of the nose when installed correctly butt up to the bucket holes with virtually no gap? 

Aero426

This is a PCG/Dave Patik front spoiler of fairly recent manufacture.  I have had several of these through the years, and do not recall seeing a Patik spoiler that had the wrong angle.   

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: Aero426 on May 08, 2013, 11:28:06 AM
This is a PCG/Dave Patik front spoiler of fairly recent manufacture.  I have had several of these through the years, and do not recall seeing a Patik spoiler that had the wrong angle.   

The angle may be ok, but I think you need to check your front tires...there's no tread left on 'em!   :hah: :hah: :smilielol: :smilielol:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

1970Moparmann

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 08, 2013, 07:09:51 AM

Yep, just checked.  The drivers side definitely is missing the peak pretty bad.  The passenger side is fine.   

Keep the items coming guys.  No matter what you come up with, the car is a keeper! :yesnod:

Aero426

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 08, 2013, 04:10:42 PM

The angle may be ok, but I think you need to check your front tires...there's no tread left on 'em!   :hah: :hah: :smilielol: :smilielol:

Not so hot in the rain, huh?  :rofl:

1970Moparmann

62 Max,

I think I'll keep mine as/is, like yours, and I'll piss off Troy... :rofl: :rofl:

Troy, don't you know by now, I like being different. :nana: